Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861794 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12180 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:27 pm »

That's the reason I changed acid rain to stop doing damage in the first place, I guess it got changed back.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: June 17, 2014, 01:17:16 am »

Something came around (maybe acid rain?) and killed a huge amount of animals around my shelter, odd.
Are you on 0.A or a more recent version?  Pretty sure we made acid puddles stop killing animals a while back.
EDIT: Correction, made acid rain stop spawning acid puddles, which were killing animals.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:46 am »

The rain itself still kills the animals.  They take constant damage until they die as long as they are outside.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:24 am »

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: June 18, 2014, 02:23:25 am »

That's the reason I changed acid rain to stop doing damage in the first place, I guess it got changed back.

I sure do hope they keep harmful acid rain, or atleast make it something you can toggle because holy shit I love the added difficulty.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: June 18, 2014, 05:37:15 am »

I sure do hope they keep harmful acid rain, or atleast make it something you can toggle because holy shit I love the added difficulty.
The only creature that is harmed by acid rain now is the player. Everyone else are immune. That is somewhat unfair.

Just introduce the pain for creatures with working nervous system (everyone except zombies, triffids. fungi and blob) and everything will be fair again.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:56 am »

The only creature that is harmed by acid rain now is the player. Everyone else are immune. That is somewhat unfair.

Just introduce the pain for creatures with working nervous system (everyone except zombies, triffids. fungi and blob) and everything will be fair again.

I always HATE when the player is the only one that is affected by something, in my opinion immersion breaking.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: June 18, 2014, 09:45:57 am »

I always HATE when the player is the only one that is affected by something, in my opinion immersion breaking.

+1'd with the fury of a thousand suns.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #12188 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:03 am »

It's a decent fix until the AI is smart enough to avoid certain situations. AI is one of the reasons the zombie genre is so prevalent among small and big developers alike: It's hard to do.

Though it would be cool to have animals gather under trees, overhangs and caves whenever it rained heavily or there was acid rain. You could have a clever little trap system with shelter as the lure.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57:46 am »

It's a decent fix until the AI is smart enough to avoid certain situations. AI is one of the reasons the zombie genre is so prevalent among small and big developers alike: It's hard to do.

Though it would be cool to have animals gather under trees, overhangs and caves whenever it rained heavily or there was acid rain. You could have a clever little trap system with shelter as the lure.
* Knight of Fools has had a brilliant idea!

* Knight of Fools has gained four Wisdom points!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: June 18, 2014, 10:33:37 am »

The problem isn't so much the creatures dying so much as the corpses piling up right?

It also tends to happen most often where the player sleeps.

Would it be possible to simulate wild creatures coming and taking off with the corpses?  Say, every few hours a corpse is lying around in the reality bubble that is outside it could spawn a couple vultures that stay near the marked corpse. (With a message of them swooping down from above if the player sees them) if the vultures are left alone for an half an hour the corpse loses durability until the corpse is destroyed and the vultures fly away.  They automatically fly away and don't spawn if it starts to acid rain to keep from more corpses piling up.

Could be simulated outside the reality bubble too if that doesn't cause issues.

That could potentially get rid of the corpse problem, while allowing an enterprising player the ability to trap some corpses for a supply of feathers and meat.  Don't know whether they should go after corpses that can revive too, maybe only the pulped ones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: June 18, 2014, 09:34:46 pm »

This is more or less the plan.
The problem isn't so much the creatures dying so much as the corpses piling up right?
There are two(-ish) problems:
1. The effect makes the player into a roving lightning rod for bad things.  Animals died, but only if the player was nearby. (like lightning, but not as acute, and not targeting the player's stuff)
1a. If applied evenly, the logical outcome would be the total elimination of all animals and other creatures after about a week, this is not an outcome we want.
2. It killed animals, but caused pain to the player, so it was another unfair issue in the opposite direction

In general, it was a poorly thought out feature from the start.  IMO the best option is to make animals take shelter if possible, and acquire some kind of debuff if they can't.  That's quite a bit more complicated to implement, and isn't at the top of anyone's priority list at the moment.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: June 18, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »

Oh my Hallucinations are cool.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #12193 on: June 18, 2014, 09:37:04 pm »

* Knight of Fools has had a brilliant idea!

* Knight of Fools has gained four Wisdom points!

I have to be careful now... Too many wisdom points and I'll stop being a fool!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12194 on: June 18, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »

The problem isn't really the acid rain killing the animals nor is it that their corpses get left behind. The real problem is those two things combined with the fact that staying in one place to long makes animals appear like crazy. Biggest waste I ever saw was when I stayed at my reading shack and all the ants where killed by acid rain. There was more corpses then ground visible after a few repeat performances and the local ant population was shot. Now natural animals are not quite as prolific as ants around an ant hill but you get my point.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1086