Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861547 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12150 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »

Anything made of wood, bone, chitin, cloth, leather, fur, steel, plastic, nomex, and kevlar can be reinforced. Chitin and bone armor cannot be fitted, only reinforced. Ammo can't be reinforced, but things like amplifier circuits can if for some reason you wanted to.

Ranged weapons require gunsmithing tools regardless of material though; even things like bows and slingshots.

Why would a self bow need gunsmithing tools?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: June 14, 2014, 12:18:36 am »

People blanket-coding.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:57 am »

Damn Catalcysm, I have an old pair of jeans and I really want to cut then up to repair other jeans or make new clothes with them. I don't think I can read a random sewing magazine and learn how to do this though....

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:43 am »

Damn Catalcysm, I have an old pair of jeans and I really want to cut then up to repair other jeans or make new clothes with them. I don't think I can read a random sewing magazine and learn how to do this though....

I'm not quite clear on what's your problem here.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: June 14, 2014, 09:02:52 am »

No, you need a needle and thread too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:17 am »

No, you need a needle and thread too.
Actually, you just need a knife.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12156 on: June 14, 2014, 09:56:53 am »

or scissors.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:41 am »

You need to learn to sew to fix them, but you can just cut them up with no issue.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: June 15, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that cutting up items is affected by tailoring skill. Haven't checked the code, but I notice that when I start with no tailoring skill and try to chop up sheets I tend to get 10-14 rags. Once I have one or two tailoring skill, I can reliably get 20 rags. Could be confirmation bias though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »

People blanket-coding.
That's just obnoxious.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure that cutting up items is affected by tailoring skill. Haven't checked the code, but I notice that when I start with no tailoring skill and try to chop up sheets I tend to get 10-14 rags. Once I have one or two tailoring skill, I can reliably get 20 rags. Could be confirmation bias though.

Yeah, tailoring helps you cut up the jeans more efficiently, so you get more usable rags.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: June 15, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

Yeah, tailoring helps you cut up the jeans more efficiently, so you get more usable rags.
I second this. For some reason, I keep on getting three rags from cutting up sheets at 0 tailoring.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: June 15, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »

Can you still get fast tailoring practice by working on zombie clothes/house clothes/clothes clothes? Using a needle on clothing would "practice sewing" on anything, with the risk of destroying the item (so don't use it on anything important) until you figured out.... how not to impale yourself with a needle.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »

I will say the survivors of the Cataclysm are pretty incompetent at life in general. I mean, I could function with (at least) basic proficiency at every skill in the game apart from manufacturing (metalworking is expensive to learn and practise) and gun shooting. Wheras survivors most of the time can't even make a broth or crudely stitch a patch of fabric onto some damaged clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if they all had velcro shoes too because tying shoelaces is too hard.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:33 pm »

I will say the survivors of the Cataclysm are pretty incompetent at life in general. I mean, I could function with (at least) basic proficiency at every skill in the game apart from manufacturing (metalworking is expensive to learn and practise) and gun shooting. Wheras survivors most of the time can't even make a broth or crudely stitch a patch of fabric onto some damaged clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if they all had velcro shoes too because tying shoelaces is too hard.
Somehow, even though all the survivors are supposedly late teens/adults, none of them (save for the Biker) can drive adequately. They also cannot DUCT TAPE A SPIKE ONTO SOMETHING, nor can they sew a rag onto a shirt without damaging it despite being able to create adequate bandanas and frickin' metal spears with almost no practice.
I feel that characters should start with level 1 in everything, and that you could decrease your skill to 0 for a point.
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1086