Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861897 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12165 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if they all had velcro shoes too because tying shoelaces is too hard.
Suddenly, the fact that you don't get string from cutting up shoes makes perfect sense. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: June 15, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if they all had velcro shoes too because tying shoelaces is too hard.
Suddenly, the fact that you don't get string from cutting up shoes makes perfect sense.
Fridge logic strikes again. Thank you Culise, we couldn't have done it without you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: June 15, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »

I will say the survivors of the Cataclysm are pretty incompetent at life in general. I mean, I could function with (at least) basic proficiency at every skill in the game apart from manufacturing (metalworking is expensive to learn and practise) and gun shooting. Wheras survivors most of the time can't even make a broth or crudely stitch a patch of fabric onto some damaged clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if they all had velcro shoes too because tying shoelaces is too hard.
Somehow, even though all the survivors are supposedly late teens/adults, none of them (save for the Biker) can drive adequately. They also cannot DUCT TAPE A SPIKE ONTO SOMETHING, nor can they sew a rag onto a shirt without damaging it despite being able to create adequate bandanas and frickin' metal spears with almost no practice.
I feel that characters should start with level 1 in everything, and that you could decrease your skill to 0 for a point.

Modern future media has weakened the minds of the people so that they can consume more. We must watch out for evil corporate media, lest we suffer the same fate as the thousand deaths and tragedies our characters have.

Edit: Are nobody interested in a challenge Let's Play?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:14:25 pm by Eclectic Wizard »
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »

Let's Play Cataclysm?

As LordSlowpoke would put it, "yes perfect"

Let us do this.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: June 15, 2014, 07:16:47 pm »

This is the future, everything is done automatically. 

* Learning to sew is a completely unnecessary skill when everything is thrown away to be recycled into new whatever.
* Driving?  I recall reading in some old canon that future gas prices make today's prices seem sane.  Gas is so expensive few families own a car.  Solar cars exist but they require such large expensive panels that they don't help much.  And on top of that Autotaxi's are already a thing, in fact I think I'll try to find some way to mod in some cars with no controls and a built in tracking device to be found around cities.  Something had to happen to the self-driving car fleets.
* Cooking? Household kitchens may have systems to automatically detect heat levels of food and adjust for proper cooking.  When you have to adjust that all yourself suddenly when you never had to before everything falls apart.

I could probably explain away more than that too.

Point is, in the future more tasks are automated.  Even the things that aren't automated, technology assists so much that the task becomes extremely difficult once the technology is removed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: June 15, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »

Hobo Dave: Eeh, lookie here! Shoes! Finally!

*shoes have laces*

Hobo Dave: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOo

O

o
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: June 15, 2014, 07:30:52 pm »

The most powerful vehicle anti theft device before the cataclysm?

A manual transmission.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:50 pm »

A manual transmission.
Yet everyone seems to be able to hotwire a car without any skill needed.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: June 15, 2014, 11:56:57 pm »

A manual transmission.
Yet everyone seems to be able to hotwire a car without any skill needed.
It's on the list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Also housekeys etc, though that would take some doing.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: June 16, 2014, 12:09:42 am »

Something had to happen to the self-driving car fleets.

i once read that the use of nukes was canon pretty sure that's still there

chalk it up to a crash cascade caused by emp

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: June 16, 2014, 02:25:22 am »

This is the future, everything is done automatically. 

* Learning to sew is a completely unnecessary skill when everything is thrown away to be recycled into new whatever.
* Driving?  I recall reading in some old canon that future gas prices make today's prices seem sane.  Gas is so expensive few families own a car.  Solar cars exist but they require such large expensive panels that they don't help much.  And on top of that Autotaxi's are already a thing, in fact I think I'll try to find some way to mod in some cars with no controls and a built in tracking device to be found around cities.  Something had to happen to the self-driving car fleets.
* Cooking? Household kitchens may have systems to automatically detect heat levels of food and adjust for proper cooking.  When you have to adjust that all yourself suddenly when you never had to before everything falls apart.

I could probably explain away more than that too.

Point is, in the future more tasks are automated.  Even the things that aren't automated, technology assists so much that the task becomes extremely difficult once the technology is removed.

I like the idea of new cars!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: June 16, 2014, 02:58:25 am »

Something had to happen to the self-driving car fleets.
i once read that the use of nukes was canon pretty sure that's still there

chalk it up to a crash cascade caused by emp
A deactivated car should have survived that.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:32 am »

are you saying that perfectly intact cars in parking lots do not exist?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:32 pm »

Somehow, even though all the survivors are supposedly late teens/adults, none of them (save for the Biker) can drive adequately. They also cannot DUCT TAPE A SPIKE ONTO SOMETHING, nor can they sew a rag onto a shirt without damaging it despite being able to create adequate bandanas and frickin' metal spears with almost no practice.
I feel that characters should start with level 1 in everything, and that you could decrease your skill to 0 for a point.

first:  some of the things you can ductape together in the game are just silly.  Cars, for example.  Sure, everyone has seen a car with a ductaped window or body pannel, but these are STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS that are being held together with tape, in the game.

second:  i'm not sure the competency balance is really all that far off.

Your bandanna example:  I can use a piece of cloth as a bandanna or shemagh, no problem.  But I dont think I could sew a rag to a shirt to use as a patch, without fucking something up.  Probably making it worse.  Once I practiced a few times, I could probably get it.  But out of the gate?  it would be a fumbling disaster.

Your spear example:  I have no doubt that I could bang a point onto a metal pipe or a section or RMC or something, and then use it to threaten some creature who's brain does not grasp the subtleties of lateral motion.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure any effort I made to permanently affix a spike to something to something with duct tape would end in tears.  mine.

Not only is duct tape (or any tape) not intended for this job, but it is really hard to solidly attach something and then expect it to take a lot of physical trauma.  Spikes are generally bolted onto surfaces from behind, and even then might work themselves loose from vibrations or from the simple force of being used.

Well.. I'm over analyzing this.  It's just a game, I think the skill balance stuff is fun enough as it is.  Except the grindy parts.  I wish they were less grindy.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: June 16, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »

Something came around (maybe acid rain?) and killed a huge amount of animals around my shelter, odd. Even Killed rattlesnake bro who never bothered anyone. :( (well except the rats that a snake eats)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1086