Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862370 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11400 on: April 08, 2014, 03:09:28 pm »

What does it take to smash through things like wire gates, chain linked fences, and reinforced windows?

I had what I thought was a pretty strong character, but was not successful in knocking any of these down.  Then I came back with a max-strength (1000 pts, max stats) character, and still could not knock them down.

(I also could not climb a chain link fence with parkour, but I guess thats a separate issue)

Yet they are listed as "smashable" so I wonder... do you need a special flag as might only be present on certain creature types?  what kinds of creatures can do this?

I guess what I'm getting at, is how much can i rely on the natural defenses of this military bunker i'm squatting in?

The "SMASHABLE" flag is a link to an old system we're currently phasing out. It's fully possible that they are actually indestructible, despite having that flag.

Bird eggs. Where the hell do I find bird eggs?
Pretty sure you can find them and other types of eggs from bushes if you have enough survival skill.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: April 08, 2014, 03:35:04 pm »

What does it take to smash through things like wire gates, chain linked fences, and reinforced windows?

I had what I thought was a pretty strong character, but was not successful in knocking any of these down.  Then I came back with a max-strength (1000 pts, max stats) character, and still could not knock them down.

(I also could not climb a chain link fence with parkour, but I guess thats a separate issue)

Yet they are listed as "smashable" so I wonder... do you need a special flag as might only be present on certain creature types?  what kinds of creatures can do this?

I guess what I'm getting at, is how much can i rely on the natural defenses of this military bunker i'm squatting in?
For the chain link fence, use the 'e'xamine key. That should give you the option to climb it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:19 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the prompt reply.

While I'm at it, can I get a breakdown of the different Spawn Types?  What I understand is this:

- Static Spawn starts out with more zombies on the board initially, no grace period, etc.
- Dynamic Spawn gives you the old grace period, and slowly increases the danger level of spawning creatures until you reach the Spawn limit of the local area.

What I am wondering is this:

- The "surviving your first day" wiki pages suggest that Static Spawn is easier.  I'm unclear as to why.  I think I've seen posts here suggesting it is harder.
- Does the Static Spawn start out spawning a total number of creatures equal to the spawn limit used in dynamic spawn games, or something less?
- If maps are still dynamically generated as you travel long distances overland, how does static spawning work?  All local spawns are created instantly, as soon as you move into a new map area?
- In a the old game, I think certain creatures did not start showing up until either significant time passed, or until you started opening portals / wielding artifacts / activating whatever-those-halflife-events-are.  In Static Spawn, are they wandering around from the start?  are those effects of activating portals and halflife-reactions and wielding dimensional artifacts then meaningless?  Or do additional spawns still occur even in Static mode?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: April 08, 2014, 03:59:14 pm »

Static spawn starts with all zombies already spawned. No more will spawn over the course of the game (and it's also the spawn mode we are looking to shift everything to eventually). This means it's fully possible to clear out (relatively) safe zones over time, killing all zombies within them. This also means that you need to take it slow at the beginning, since it's easy to be overwhelmed early. Currently wildlife still spawns dynamically, even in static spawn mode. Since all zombies spawn at the beginning this means things like hulks and brutes can indeed show up on the very first day if you wander into them.

Dynamic spawn gives a grace period and then begins to spawn zombies based on sound levels from a nigh-unlimited refilling pool. The type of zombies it spawns is related to the amount of time that has elapsed in the game. This means you can't ever really clear out a safe zone in cities, all you can really do is buy yourself more safe time, since there is an effectively unlimited supply of zombies. Dynamic spawn mode encourages rushing into the city really fast and grabbing things before getting out of there as zombies start to spawn (the exact opposite of static spawn's strategy).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: April 08, 2014, 04:05:33 pm »

Awesome, thanks for the prompt reply.

While I'm at it, can I get a breakdown of the different Spawn Types?  What I understand is this:

- Static Spawn starts out with more zombies on the board initially, no grace period, etc.
- Dynamic Spawn gives you the old grace period, and slowly increases the danger level of spawning creatures until you reach the Spawn limit of the local area.

What I am wondering is this:

- The "surviving your first day" wiki pages suggest that Static Spawn is easier.  I'm unclear as to why.  I think I've seen posts here suggesting it is harder.
- Does the Static Spawn start out spawning a total number of creatures equal to the spawn limit used in dynamic spawn games, or something less?
- If maps are still dynamically generated as you travel long distances overland, how does static spawning work?  All local spawns are created instantly, as soon as you move into a new map area?
- In a the old game, I think certain creatures did not start showing up until either significant time passed, or until you started opening portals / wielding artifacts / activating whatever-those-halflife-events-are.  In Static Spawn, are they wandering around from the start?  are those effects of activating portals and halflife-reactions and wielding dimensional artifacts then meaningless?  Or do additional spawns still occur even in Static mode?

Static vs dynamic, as I understand it.
Static:
All zombies are placed on the map when it loads. I presume that means that as new pieces are loaded, zombies are placed as well.
Wildlife is dynamic spawn. This is why you see dogs and cats and zombears wander in once you've cleared out an area.
Other critters are dynamically spawned. This goes from everything else from triffids to those things with the lasers eyes that look through your soul.

Dynamic:
No critters on the map initially. This gives you a 30 minute or so window to run around, make as much noise as you want, smash into things, take everything, and secure a shelter.
Once the thirty minute window is up, spawns start occurring. More noise decreases time between the spawns. In theory it is possible to clear an area of spawns, however, I'm not sure what exactly is considered "local" for the purposes the spawn pool.
May or may not have limits as to when certain special zombies and such can spawn. I think some are limited to later, but I haven't tested this lately.

The main reason why static is easier, is that you can scout. If you walk down the street and see ten hulks at the limit of your view, then those ten hulks will always be there. In dynamic, they'll be eaten by the spawn pool, to be regurgitated later somewhere else, possibly right in front of you as you beat a hasty retreat away from them. Likewise, in static, once a house is cleared, its cleared, barring wandering zombies and leading others into it. You can slowly make a safe path darting between houses and stores into a city, whereas in dynamic, the path closes pretty much as soon as it leaves your vision.

Stealth edit: Ninja'd. Though, I'd like to add that static spawn DOES respect danger level to a degree. For example, you are highly unlikely to find a hulk or brute on the edge of town. Deep in the center of a 20 tile radius city? Every other critter is likely to be a special zombie.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »

Stealth edit: Ninja'd. Though, I'd like to add that static spawn DOES respect danger level to a degree. For example, you are highly unlikely to find a hulk or brute on the edge of town. Deep in the center of a 20 tile radius city? Every other critter is likely to be a special zombie.
To specify just a bit more it's linked to the distance to the "center" of town, which correlates roughly to where you find shops. The closer you get to that area and the more buildings around you the higher the zombie count in the area will be, and the more likely you are to find special zombies.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »

Two things I noticed today:

1. In real life, wild animals like wolves tend to not randomly ambush people.
2. The storage system is very broken when you think about it; how do I store an entire wood axe comfortably in a pair of cargo pants? Cut it into pieces and glue it back together when I take it out?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: April 08, 2014, 08:22:28 pm »

Two things I noticed today:

1. In real life, wild animals like wolves tend to not randomly ambush people.
2. The storage system is very broken when you think about it; how do I store an entire wood axe comfortably in a pair of cargo pants? Cut it into pieces and glue it back together when I take it out?
1) Actually there is quite a rich history of wolf attacks on humans, though it should probably be at least a few weeks before they start to get hungry enough to begin considering you as food.
2) A relic of the current storage system, sadly, and one that we hope to get rid of once we have proper working containers.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: April 09, 2014, 12:26:04 am »

Carpenter pants have hammer loops.  and you can attach danm near anything to a D ring.

Seriously though, it can be abstract for the sake of simplicity.  Get too detailed, and it can be harder to suspended disbelief.

Unless you have D rings on your pants.  You could suspended anything from those.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: April 09, 2014, 01:03:11 am »

With enough leather belts, you can strap a 55 gallon drum to your body and move fine with it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: April 09, 2014, 01:11:40 am »

Nothing more than anecdotes on this, but it seemed like smashing things was much easier with a nail board than a katana. So it may also be tied to your weapon having bashing damage. Doors would go down in about 4 tries with the nail board, but I could bang on them dozens of times with the katana.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: April 09, 2014, 01:45:01 am »

Nothing more than anecdotes on this, but it seemed like smashing things was much easier with a nail board than a katana. So it may also be tied to your weapon having bashing damage. Doors would go down in about 4 tries with the nail board, but I could bang on them dozens of times with the katana.
Yes, bashing damage seems to play a major role in smashing. Try smashing a bench with your bare hands, and then while wielding a rock.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: April 09, 2014, 06:07:50 am »

Jacqueshammer?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »

So, martial arts.  They only work when they are wielded? 

You dont get the passive (block and dodge) benefits when wielding another weapon, or when the martial art is not equipped?

The wiki suggests that some styles should be complimentary to each other, but if they only work when wielded how can this be the case?  You'd have to somehow switch between them depending on if you were going to block, dodge, or attack.  Hardly seems practical, especially since blocking and dodging happen passively and automatically?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

Now I'm curious, the nearby town in my game stopped spawning zombies and now is spawning nothing but slimes...was this because the slimes took over or the zombies all died out there?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1086