Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862391 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11430 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:34 pm »

so...how are you suppose to get rechargeable tools to recharge in a vehicle? I placed them in the same square as a recharge station and there is a battery + solar panel there...but they aren't charging?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »

You'll need to attach a rechargeable battery mod onto the item you want to recharge.

Also be sure to turn the recharge station on using your vehicle's controls.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: April 11, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »

doh...need controls for it...that is what I was forgetting since I had modified a shopping cart to be a recharge station that I could drag the tools around.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: April 11, 2014, 11:16:20 pm »

I wish the factions worked along with NPCs, cause the game feels alot like DF adventure just with a legit crafting system. You play for a while and have lots of fun for a few days but then get bored and wait for the next release

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: April 12, 2014, 02:19:00 am »

I wish the factions worked along with NPCs, cause the game feels alot like DF adventure just with a legit crafting system. You play for a while and have lots of fun for a few days but then get bored and wait for the next release
This is exactly why one of the big overarching goals we've got (which should at least be partly addressed by working NPC's) is to improve the late game. One particular improvement we've made on that end are hordes, which can now wander into you and can present quite a challenge even for some late-game players.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: April 12, 2014, 08:44:57 am »

Oh god, not hordes. You mean those things where tons of zombies show up out of nowhere--

Oh, wait, that's just Dynamic Spawn mode. :P

So, my most recent character made an amazing strategic discovery: if you go into a park (the walled kind) by climbing the fence and kill the zombies inside, you can pick off what's chasing you with a shotgun. They can't get past the chain links. The shotgun attracts more zombies, and then you pick them off with your amazing shotgun until you're out of bullets or zombies. Then you just climb the fence and smash the bodies into pieces. Afterward, you go to your friendly local gun store and steal the shotgun slugs and 00 shots from it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11436 on: April 12, 2014, 09:06:01 am »

Wonder if that's what happened to Naxza earlier?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:10 am »

Yeah, the idea of just coming across a big walled off area run by NPCs trying to reclaim the world is quite appealing.

Or even starting said commune yourself!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:18 am »

Nope, I'm telling you, it wasn't a natural summoning of the horde- there were zombies atop zombies spawning ahead of me in what were only empty fields, and another time when I was about six tiles out from forests and an emergency shelter where I had to kite some fifty or more zombies around a few burning bushes.

I'm thinking that something weird happens when you have wandering spawns turned on and then turn them off again- maybe it seeds certain portions of the world with massive zombie hordes that don't vanish when the setting is turned off?
I don't think you can "turn off" zombie hordes on an existing world. Not any more than you can change city size or length of season on the fly. It's set at worldgen, and the options menu just sets defaults. So you are just experiencing a really big horde that moved in from a cluster of cities elsewhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: April 12, 2014, 10:06:57 am »

Do people ever still encounter sludge crawlers? I never hear anything about them.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: April 12, 2014, 11:17:06 am »

Nope, haven't heard of 'em.

So, remember my advice? Don't take it unless the "horde" is small-- I tried it while raiding a city as opposed to a town, and they broke the fence. Probably was a tough zombie, but it sucked. Luckily, my Hitler-car (beetle) named The Ringomobile managed to get me home before they ripped my chest in half.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: April 12, 2014, 11:19:20 am »

So, remember my advice? Don't take it unless the "horde" is small-- I tried it while raiding a city as opposed to a town, and they broke the fence. Probably was a tough zombie, but it sucked. Luckily, my Hitler-car (beetle) named The Ringomobile managed to get me home before they ripped my chest in half.

Keep a backup Molotov cocktail or two.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: April 12, 2014, 11:27:54 am »

Keep a backup Molotov cocktail or two.

I should probably go back to the gas station I found.

I killed the horde by luring them all into a hardware store, running out the back, making a puddle of gasoline, lighting it, and running away.

It worked great!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: April 12, 2014, 12:35:25 pm »

Can't get the graphical version to work anymore, even after installing libSDL it won't recognize it. Curses version works just fine though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:47 pm »

Do people ever still encounter sludge crawlers? I never hear anything about them.
Most likely because they:
A) Only start spawning after the first week, and even then are rather rare
and
B) Only spawn at rivers/swamps, which most sane players avoid ATM :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1086