Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862368 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11385 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »

Very interesting game...cougars are annoying though...deals no damage and shouldn't even have been able to hit through one of those military vests...but still caused bleeding without any damage...lost one of my better runs from that.

On another note...can you mix and match vehicle engines? say have both an electric motor and a gas motor on the same vehicle so it could run nearly forever?
On the same line of thought does extra solar cells increase recharge rate linearly? 8 solar cells strapped onto a car would recharge twice as fast?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: April 07, 2014, 05:53:27 pm »

You can stop bleeding by 'a'pplying rags to the bleeding limb, based on your first aid skill, or using hemostatic powder which you can find on dead military patrols and lab workers. I think bandages or first aid kits will stop the bleeding as well. IIRC, most military vests don't cover 100% so it's possible the cougar just got lucky. It's also possible that the cougar hit you, did enough damage to cause bleeding, but didn't cause enough damage to reduce the health rank of a limb.

You can add multiple engines to a vehicle with 12 mechanics, I think.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:50 pm »

On another note...can you mix and match vehicle engines? say have both an electric motor and a gas motor on the same vehicle so it could run nearly forever?
On the same line of thought does extra solar cells increase recharge rate linearly? 8 solar cells strapped onto a car would recharge twice as fast?
Having multiple engines takes a massive amount of skill to install.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

how does one get 14 skill anyhow?  Never gotten more than 9?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: April 07, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »

Takes a lot of practice. My current character has 13 melee, so it can be done.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »

I don't think you can deal with those...even with stupidly high skill and equipment...at least not without using traps of some type to deal with them...I'm not even sure a vehicle could lawnmow through it without getting stuck...

On another note...what would be a good gun to pick...had a run that successfully ran out of a town with the entire gunstore and 10+ different types of guns.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: April 08, 2014, 12:09:23 am »

Hey, speaking of vehicles, do the default ones come with roofs?

I dont know if it was bad luck, but I tried jumping into three different abandoned vehicles to get out of some acid rain, but none of them stopped me from getting rained on.
Try to [e]xamin a vehicle you're in/next to. It will show you all the parts installed on each tile, as well as whether the tile is considered "in" or "out". As noted, closing the door might help.

A question: is it possible to repair armour(vests, RX31(or whatever it's called), power armour)? What skills/tools do I need?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: April 08, 2014, 04:02:17 am »

I know you can repair kevlar with soldering irons or welders, it prolly works with steel as well.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:34 am »

I don't think you can deal with those...even with stupidly high skill and equipment...at least not without using traps of some type to deal with them...I'm not even sure a vehicle could lawnmow through it without getting stuck...

On another note...what would be a good gun to pick...had a run that successfully ran out of a town with the entire gunstore and 10+ different types of guns.

Bah, the spitter will take care of most of them on its own. Break south-east to get most of them on the same side, light a bush on fire to use as cover, then open fire with whatever ranged weapons you have. Every time the horde gets too close, fall back to another bush. It's not something a fresh character can handle, but an experienced survivor can take that horde no problem.

Take the one you have the most ammo for. 22's are good for learning if you don't have a nail rifle, they do passable damage (5 or 6 shots per kill) and are fairly quiet.

Hey, speaking of vehicles, do the default ones come with roofs?

I dont know if it was bad luck, but I tried jumping into three different abandoned vehicles to get out of some acid rain, but none of them stopped me from getting rained on.
Try to [e]xamin a vehicle you're in/next to. It will show you all the parts installed on each tile, as well as whether the tile is considered "in" or "out". As noted, closing the door might help.

A question: is it possible to repair armour(vests, RX31(or whatever it's called), power armour)? What skills/tools do I need?

Soldering iron or welder can be used to repair kevlar/metal armor. The kevlar vests will require kevlar plates, which you can get by cutting up other kevlar vests (which is why I don't use kevlar very often). Power armor probably requires scrap metal. I'm pretty sure success is governed by the mechanics skill.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:51 am »

Did you turn static spawn off? That would explain the massive horde when you fired the shotgun, and once the shriekers showed up that would explain the growth.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11395 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:34 am »

well, sounds like you should just run, popping/bushing any kids or dogs that come your way

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: April 08, 2014, 11:16:20 am »

zombears just broke into my shelter...guess it isn't as safe here as I thought :'(

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: April 08, 2014, 11:18:20 am »

You know what?  Indoor plants are the best.  You can make a patio out of them, and use them to screen your windows.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: April 08, 2014, 02:56:57 pm »

What does it take to smash through things like wire gates, chain linked fences, and reinforced windows?

I had what I thought was a pretty strong character, but was not successful in knocking any of these down.  Then I came back with a max-strength (1000 pts, max stats) character, and still could not knock them down.

(I also could not climb a chain link fence with parkour, but I guess thats a separate issue)

Yet they are listed as "smashable" so I wonder... do you need a special flag as might only be present on certain creature types?  what kinds of creatures can do this?

I guess what I'm getting at, is how much can i rely on the natural defenses of this military bunker i'm squatting in?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: April 08, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »

Bird eggs. Where the hell do I find bird eggs?
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1086