Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862253 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11370 on: April 06, 2014, 09:18:52 pm »

How do you fire a rail mounted crossbow (gun mod)? 'F'iring just uses bullets, I was kind of hoping to save some ammo with cheap wooden bolts.

Edit: nevermind, figured it out, 'F' switches modes.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: April 06, 2014, 10:18:05 pm »

So much death. The most annoying thing is that cars rarely have gas in them for some reason.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: April 06, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »

As for the individual characters comment there, would you clarify? I'm not quite sure what you are asking about.

Oh, I meant individual alphanumeric (and special... AaBb1!2@...) characters being assigned to inventory and container (trunk) items.  It used to be a bigger problem before we had the ability to have inventory items with blank quick-key characters, so it isnt such a big deal now...

But there could still be some UI overhaul.  inventory items dont need individual quick-keys, you could have expandable and collapsible categories where each category (guns, ammo, tools, wearables) had its own quick key... it would take slightly more navigating than a single keypress -- but at least the keys would be consistent and I would reckon that it would be more efficient overall.

I'm sure this has been raised before, I have not been on on here in a while.

So much death. The most annoying thing is that cars rarely have gas in them for some reason.

Cars an motorcycles used to be much more rare, but also much more functional.  It seems much harder to find a running car now, but there are FAR more parts around in the form of ungassed or inoperable wrecks -- so if you are craftingly inclined it should be much easier to weld up the death mobile of your dreams.

It is much harder to run through towns until you find something that is ready to go, and to jump in and drive through hordes of zombies until  a small town is safely depopulated.  I remember doing circles in front of a megamart until it was safe to go shopping.  God that made a mess.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:21:01 pm by puke »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: April 07, 2014, 02:29:21 am »

Tip: look at parking lots. They seem to have a better chance of yielding usable cars.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:49 am »

Most cars in the city have a small amount of gas which you can siphon out with a rubber hose ('s'mash a refrigerator to get one). Most cars outside the city have no gas but are in working condition. Alternatively, you can repair or build your own car pretty easily, you just need a hacksaw, wrench, and a welder+welding mask or a bunch of duck tape. You'll need a little mechanics skill to start as well, which you can get by opening doors and windows with a crowbar, or from a book.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:15 am »

Most cars seems to be A) out of fuel B) no wheels C) no controls D) broken engine E)wrecks or pile ups.

If your going to build a car then build a small welding/ generator dolly first, you will need the power.

NPC seem to mostly be free hunting, just walk around after them and take the bodys and loot (why would you attack a bear with your hands?)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:41 am »

(why would you attack a bear with your hands?)

How else are you going to make a joke about bare/bear hands?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: April 07, 2014, 10:33:09 am »

(why would you attack a bear with your hands?)
You don't.  You wield a bag of chips first.

Edit:  You ninja.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: April 07, 2014, 12:13:04 pm »

According to the wiki, shopping carts a a vehicle that can be dragged around.

Can they be piloted through other means (e.g. by pushing and riding)?

Also, do they make noise?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »

According to the wiki, shopping carts a a vehicle that can be dragged around.

Can they be piloted through other means (e.g. by pushing and riding)?

Also, do they make noise?
Yes, shopping carts can be pushed; and ridden if you add an engine w/fuel, a seat/saddle, and vehicle controls. You'd have to remove to basket in order to install the seat, but seats can carry some stuff (saddles have no cargo capacity).

Oddly enough, they make no sound being moved around. There's obviously some kind of uber-lubricant in the future.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: April 07, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »

Alternatively, don't bother with a seat and instead add a foot pedal. Apparently you can sit in the basket if you have foot pedals.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: April 07, 2014, 01:16:57 pm »

Alternatively, don't bother with a seat and instead add a foot pedal. Apparently you can sit in the basket if you have foot pedals.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: April 07, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

Hmm... Now I kinda want to make the Axel from Twisted Metal.   Donno why. :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: April 07, 2014, 05:23:34 pm »

Hey, speaking of vehicles, do the default ones come with roofs?

I dont know if it was bad luck, but I tried jumping into three different abandoned vehicles to get out of some acid rain, but none of them stopped me from getting rained on.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: April 07, 2014, 05:37:44 pm »

Hey, speaking of vehicles, do the default ones come with roofs?

I dont know if it was bad luck, but I tried jumping into three different abandoned vehicles to get out of some acid rain, but none of them stopped me from getting rained on.
They do come with roofs, but you need to make sure you're closed in. If you're sitting next to a missing windshield, a missing wall, or an open door, you're going to get rained on. Most vehicles are intact enough to still have windshields, boards, and roofs intact, so most often you just need to close the door behind you when you enter.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1086