Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860020 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9120 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:44 am »

I usually focus more on stats than skills. Strength gives you a bonus to damage, which is always nice, and massively boosts your carrying capacity and health which is important. My current starting loadout is 12 str, 8 dex, 10 int, 11 per. I usually prefer to grab a pipe for a weapon for that nice +3 hit bonus. I take a full compliment of negative traits for the extra 12 points. The only trait I always take is Fast Healer, since it basically gives you a full health bar overnight which is extremely useful. I often take Robust Genetics and Fast Reader as well. This leaves about 4 points for skills and a profession.

With the current build, Tailor is my new favorite profession. Spend another point to start with 2 additional tailoring skill and you can craft a full set of a backpack, cargo pants, trenchcoat, and reinforce it all. Smash the windows for two sheets (which you can cut up with the scissors for 40 rags total) and disassemble the strings (into 6 inch strings, which you can further disassemble into 50 thread apiece) for the materials to craft a full set of reinforced clothing. Now you're ready.

When you get to town, lure zombies into bushes, light the bush on fire with your matches, and clobber the zombies with your pipe. It's all downhill from here.

Thats a nice one that i will try sometime sooner or later.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: November 21, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »

Then i go for the knife spear. Thing is, i always die when i try to go to the city, i have nothing to counter the special zombies with, especialy not dogs.. yuck.
The biggest thing that can help is not going for the center of a city. If you see shops in the area near you, then know that area is off-limits until you are more developed! What you want to do at the start is find an edge of the city with some houses and no shops nearby at all. Lure the zombies in the area out one at a time, onto bushes and kill them. Continue this until you've cleared out that small area and raid the houses, picking one as a home base. Repeat until you have all the supplies you need, then either hit the road in a car or slowly start to take on the more populated areas.

Also only run from dogs if you are really fast or very close to something you can use to slow them down (broken window, bush, etc.). They are generally faster then you, so the best thing to do is just to man up and take them out as quickly as possible.

If you absolutely must try to get something from a populated area try going at night. Scent has been reworked a bit, and it's fairly easy to sneak past zombies now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »

Bug: I have a morale currently of 37 (slight malus from killing a zombie child, but a much stronger positive from wine), but when I try to repair or disassemble a car it tells me my morale is too low to craft. I can craft from the '&' menu just fine though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:14 pm »

Then i go for the knife spear. Thing is, i always die when i try to go to the city, i have nothing to counter the special zombies with, especialy not dogs.. yuck.
raid the houses, picking one as a home base. Repeat until you have all the supplies you need, then either hit the road in a car or slowly start to take on the more populated areas.

Alternatively, (c)lose on the windows in the shelter will pull down the curtains and you got yourself a very nice base right at the start position.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: November 21, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »

raid the houses, picking one as a home base. Repeat until you have all the supplies you need, then either hit the road in a car or slowly start to take on the more populated areas.
Alternatively, (c)lose on the windows in the shelter will pull down the curtains and you got yourself a very nice base right at the start position.
Except you'll starve/thirst to death. Because there's nothing there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »

If the shelter is near a river, you could grind survival until you can make a stone pot and use that to purify water. But yea, you really do need to hit the city within at worst a day or you'll start to suffer starvation/dehydration.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: November 21, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »

Bug: I have a morale currently of 37 (slight malus from killing a zombie child, but a much stronger positive from wine), but when I try to repair or disassemble a car it tells me my morale is too low to craft. I can craft from the '&' menu just fine though.
Should be fixed now, thanks for reporting.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9127 on: November 21, 2013, 02:50:19 pm »

Rocks. Throw them. A stack of 10 is very nice for dealing with specials...dogs...anything really. So long as you're fast you can kite things & stone them to death.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:40 pm »

What are you talking about. Go outside, pick up rock, throw at rabbit till dead, start fire, cook meat, ???, profit.

And you can probably make a firebow long before you run out of matches.

Of course if you start off as a shower victim or something you'll need to take a few points of survival and whatever it takes to rough out some sort of knife.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: November 21, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »

Why is this version called "Ma"?
??
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: November 21, 2013, 05:23:23 pm »

Has something to do with this.
The master of guilt and matron of suffering.

Mother.

Hail The Queen of Nag!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: November 21, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »

Actually it's Robert Ma, author of the Zombie Combat Guide.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: November 21, 2013, 11:56:22 pm »

Nothing beats the feeling of having a dying character with infected wounds collapse into a bathtub full of bandages and antibiotics.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: November 22, 2013, 12:45:41 am »

Nothing beats the feeling of having a dying character with infected wounds collapse into a bathtub full of bandages and antibiotics.

These are Dark Days indeed.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

These are Dark Days indeed.

All you can do is look ahead, past the cataclysm?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:37:39 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1086