Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860565 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8715 on: November 04, 2013, 06:19:40 pm »

There should be steel reinforced briefcases that give both storage space, and make for a decent bashing weapon.

Unfortunately storage items only count when wearing them, a work-around would be storage items for specific things which can be interacted with, a current example in-game are boots which can hold knives, now boots aren't really storage items nor weapons but you can put knives in them, similarly you can have it so an item can be interacted with to put in another type of item and then that can be wielded with the item inside it so it technically counts as storage although you will have to interact with the storage item to get any items it contains.

...why not make wielded items to be treated as worn?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: November 04, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »

Because you can get crazy situations of wielding a back-pack, then dropping it and being extremely encumbered, also wielded items don't count towards encumbrance.

If storage items actually had specific slots to contain stuff then this would be possible, a good example would be Jagged Alliance 2 where you can wield storage items but Cata has a system of storage items just giving volume and it doesn't matter where an item goes so abstracts the storage process more. There are arguments for both styles.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: November 04, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »

Because you can get crazy situations of wielding a back-pack, then dropping it and being extremely encumbered, also wielded items don't count towards encumbrance.

If storage items actually had specific slots to contain stuff then this would be possible, a good example would be Jagged Alliance 2 where you can wield storage items but Cata has a system of storage items just giving volume and it doesn't matter where an item goes so abstracts the storage process more. There are arguments for both styles.

How is it different from dropping a worn backpack and getting crazy encumberance? And if you wield a storage item, you already suffer a massive penalty of not being able to use your hands.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:46 am »

We're planning on moving to a system where items are nested inside other items, but it's quite a lot of work so it'll likely be a while until it happens.

Btw, the game is currently feature frozen and the serious bugs we know of are dealt with, any playtesting of the latest experimental at this point will contribute greatly to the polish of 0.9.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:34 am »

I had some kind of weird bug where I was teleported out of my vehicle but still moved along with it. After it crashed into a tree I was able to move freely, but whenever I try to get back inside it says "Melanie Wright is already there" (my char's name). And I can't control it.

Also, I got an artifact sword from a temple, and it has 0 bash and 45 cut damage. Sound good, until you realize that since stuck chance scale with the cut/bash ratio, it get stuck every single time, despite having 13 strength and 7 skills in cutting and melee.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:57:51 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:13 am »

We've very rarely seen that displacement thing, generally only triggered by something weird like suiciding while in a car.  Looking into it.

Stuck chance doesn't scale with cut damage, the problem is it doesn't have a cutting type flag, so it counts as an improvised cutting weapon.  Should be an easy fix though, thanks for reporting.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:37 am »

The base stuck penalty is the attack cost of the weapon used.  Cost scales with the *ratio* of cutting/bashing damage. 

So what does this mean? I though the 45/0 ratio should give it a huge cost.

Anyway, do you want my save to have a look at it?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

Yeah but the "zero" of the ratio it uses is centered on 1, i.e.:
cut_bash_ratio = cut_damage / ( cut_damage + bash_damage );
or in your case 45/(45 + 0) = 1.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »

I had some kind of weird bug where I was teleported out of my vehicle but still moved along with it. After it crashed into a tree I was able to move freely, but whenever I try to get back inside it says "Melanie Wright is already there" (my char's name). And I can't control it.
I'm able to actually reproduce this fairly consistently - discovered it myself for the first time a couple days ago! Got a save posted to the ticket on github. It's super weird, and there's actually a few varieties of it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »

So, I finally reached the level of Electromechanic mastery to let me build CBMs, and I have a Power Armor Hauling Frame and I recall having a suit of Power Armor somewhere around. So, how do I into Human Tank?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »

Running on Lubuntu by console (not tiles), I'm not getting a tile drawn for many-item stacks off of things like human corpses and smashed lockers.

Edit: When taking Chemical Imbalance, temperature tends to shift to, say, Very Cold!(Rising!) and gets stuck there on display even if I'm not actually cold.

Oh yeah, BTW, Chemical Imbalance has a hilarious side-effect when you get a morale hit from being both Hot and Cold, i.e. your character feels he's hot due to the Imbalance when his body is cold and vice versa.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: November 05, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »

We're planning on moving to a system where items are nested inside other items, but it's quite a lot of work so it'll likely be a while until it happens.

Btw, the game is currently feature frozen and the serious bugs we know of are dealt with, any playtesting of the latest experimental at this point will contribute greatly to the polish of 0.9.
Is it going to be made so that you could, say, fill a backpack with bricks and have it do extra damage?

All my yes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »

Is it going to be made so that you could, say, fill a backpack with bricks and have it do extra damage?
For throwing yes, for normal bashing damage, I'm not sure. We might be able to have some sort of a +X bashing damage per weight thing, that seems like it would be fairly simple to add (not counting all of the work to make containers work that way or course :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »

For throwing yes, for normal bashing damage, I'm not sure. We might be able to have some sort of a +X bashing damage per weight thing, that seems like it would be fairly simple to add (not counting all of the work to make containers work that way or course :P).
If you're going to go halfway with adding bashing damage with mass, then you could do a similar thing with cutting and pierce. Would have to figure speed vs mass vs contact edge, but that formula would let damage be figured out for anything. For ex, a machete would weigh 1 kg, have a long cutting edge with a rating of 3. Plug it into the formula, you'd get slashing damage, from the long edge and the rating.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress <3 Cataclysm: DDA <3 Dungeon Crawl
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #8729 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »

I have fallen in love with this game. Though there are a handful of features I'm hoping to see in future updates:

- aimed attacks (my favorite feature of DF Adventure Mode)

- more detailed combat information in the log

- distinction between sounds made by the player vs sounds made by the world and its inhabitants in the log

- enhanced stealth play, more information regarding the "amount" of stealth I'm achieving at any given time. help me understand when NPCs see me, and when they don't. 'ignoring' flag alone doesn't tell me if they haven't spotted me, or if they have indeed spotted me, and are simply leaving me alone.

- wish I could pour water on my face/in my eyes when I'm blinded by bile.

- a simple "you die" message on death, would give a greater sense of finality.

- some sort of highscore? most days survived? most zombies killed? greatest skill total at death?

much love.
When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1086