Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860311 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8745 on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:25 am »

Kevin (azmodean) is actually working on an aiming system right now that should allow for just this, where you can wait small amounts of time in order to bring down your recoil.
Would the system allow for negative recoil, as I think that is what he is asking for, effectively.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:52 am »

Kevin (azmodean) is actually working on an aiming system right now that should allow for just this, where you can wait small amounts of time in order to bring down your recoil.
Would the system allow for negative recoil, as I think that is what he is asking for, effectively.

Probably within certain limits, given that the Cata accuracy system seems to be more about removing maluses than adding bonuses.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8747 on: November 06, 2013, 02:53:05 am »

How the heck they powered this stuff in the field beats me.

Eating the soldiers they killed with their furnaces, of course.

Oh now that doesn't make a lick of sense; any good field commander would just run, hide, and wait for the power-armored man-eating machines to starve. Which would take all of 10 minutes.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: November 06, 2013, 03:31:14 am »

Advanced UPS and plutonium cells? Of, and the Power Armor interface MkII takes 1 power/50 turns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8749 on: November 06, 2013, 07:09:32 am »

So, mk1 is worthless, and how many turns does it take to swing a sword? 100? That's 2 power per attack, even with the advanced, (which I imagine is rather rare, haven't seen one yet).

Can't say I know how good the adv ups is- saw it had a much higher capacity, but the number of plutonium cells I've come across is pitiful in comparison. I've heard it's more efficient, but do cells provide more charge than I anticipated as well?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: November 06, 2013, 07:09:48 am »

1. I think this evening-ening-ing will be safe, if I'm reading right.
2. The build will continue to be available in the archive of previous builds on narc.ro, I'll look it up and post a link when I can.

There are actually thousands of builds in there, I'm not sure what narc's archival plan is, or if maybe he just has a ludricrous amount of space.
Aw great I missed the Halloween build DX
Anyone link and/or say what's in it please? Thanks thanks :D

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: November 06, 2013, 07:34:43 am »

A plutonium cell gives you 500 power. Now, I think you're confused about what a turn is. A turn is 6 seconds, so the MkII (which can be crafted BTW) use one unit of power every 5 minutes. In my experience, it's totally manageable. If you have solar panels and joint torsion ratchet, you don't even need to do anything, you power pool will even fill up when it's sunny.

A weapon's attack speed is not expressed in turn, but in move point. Every turn, you get a certain amount of move point (the speed rating thing at the bottom right of the GUI). You can then use them to perform action (swing a weapon, walk a tile...) if the action need more move points than you have, it'll take two turns (or more).

GlyphGryph, since you've managed to reproduce that vehicle-teleport bug, you know of a way to fix it?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:39:22 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:48 am »

No idea whatsoever, and I have looked. That code is pretty complex though, lots of different moving pieces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: November 06, 2013, 09:57:42 am »

So, mk1 is worthless, and how many turns does it take to swing a sword? 100? That's 2 power per attack, even with the advanced, (which I imagine is rather rare, haven't seen one yet).

Can't say I know how good the adv ups is- saw it had a much higher capacity, but the number of plutonium cells I've come across is pitiful in comparison. I've heard it's more efficient, but do cells provide more charge than I anticipated as well?
You're getting the turns and moves mixed up.  At 100% speed, your character gets 100 MOVE points per TURN.  Every action takes a different number of move points.  A sword that takes 100 move-per-attack would take a whole turn to make an attack.  A sword that takes 20 moves-per-attack would get 5 swings every turn.

An extended explanation.  Every turn, your character (and all the monsters) are given move points equal to their speed.  A regular player gets 100, while a player in pain might get 80 and a player on meth might get 200.  Every action taken reduces your points.  For instance, if you start with 100, and you swing a sword that consumes 75 move, then you're left with 25.  Since you're not yet negative, you can still take ANY action.  Lets say your next action is to step through a window, for 400 cost.  You instantly drop to -375 move.  Since you're negative, then your turn ends, and the zombies get their turns.  When it's your turn again, you get +100, bringing you to -275 and since you're negative, you cannot take an action, and the zombies get their turns.  Next turn, -175, so zombies move again...

Powered Armor uses 1e/10t, so if you're using a quick weapon, such as being unarmed, that we'll say uses 20 moves, and you're unhurt, then you could make 50 attacks before you consume one energy (assuming you don't move).  If you're high, you might get closer to 75.  Use the Mk2 interface, you can generally move 50 tiles walking before consuming energy, or jump through about 12 windows in a row.

Worth noting that the Time Dilation bionic consumes all your power, and gives +100 move per power used.  This means it TOTALLY ignores your current speed (players with heavy wounds, and players on Adderall would move at the same speed) and it halts time.  There's no turns taken for quite a while.  It's a great way for very slow players to make an emergency escape, as well as utilize high-upkeep buffs without actually paying for upkeep.  For instance, an artifact that hurts you every turn wouldn't function while under time dilation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:00 am »

When you take an action that cost more move than you have (let's say step in a window), when is that action actually done? This turn, or as soon as you get back into positive movepoints?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:05 am »

I like the new smashing multiple corpses at a time, and one swing smashing, but am I wrong or does it take multiple turns? If so, a warning would be nice, trying to smash a giant pile of zombies while more are coming can be dangerous if you don't realize it's going to involve a lot of time.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: November 06, 2013, 10:58:39 am »

When you take an action that cost more move than you have (let's say step in a window), when is that action actually done? This turn, or as soon as you get back into positive movepoints?

This turn, something for example with 1000 move speed can't then step onto the window to block you, it's more obvious with zombies as you will see a zombie get onto the window then stop moving for 3 or 4 turns then move off the window, otherwise the zombie would be standing outside the window for 3 -4 turns if it worked once you got into positive movepoints.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:41 am »

The plan is to take a bit of the malus from recoil, and some of it from weapons and ammo (making their accuracy values closer to the real-world weapons), and put it into an "aim" malus that you can burn down by spending moves while aiming at a particular target.

As for the interface, you'd hit 'f'ire as usual to bring up the aiming interface defaulting to targeting the last fired at monster or the closest monster.  Aim is at maximum penalty.  You can hit a hotkey to aim a certain amount and then fire, kind of like x-com's snap, aimed, auto selection (I think it'd have another level or two though).  So you might know that at 20 squares away with your weapon/skill/etc, an aimed shot normally hits, but once the monster is 10 squares away, you might know you have a good chance to hit with snap shots.  Each aim hotkey would wait until they reach a certain accuracy threshold, so as your weapon handling skill increases the aim rate increases and they take less and less time.  Likewise at very low skill levels, the highest levels of aim might be prohibitive to use in combat.  (still useful if you're in range but they can't see you for some reason)  Alternately you could incrementally hit a key to aim for X moves (needs testing, probably 10-30) at a time until the aim level reaches a point you like.  Firing will increase the aim malus (and if it overflows, will go into recoil), and switching targets will reset the aim malus (you should still be able to look around at other targets without resetting it, but it'll reset when you aim at them or fire.)
Also you won't exit the firing dialog until you Esc out of it, so fire-fire-fire will be the norm.
tl;dr
Before:
'f' -> select target -> 'f' -> wait until recoil drops -> 'f' -> 'f' -> repeat
After:
'f' -> select target -> 's' OR 'a' OR... -> 's' OR 'a' OR... -> repeat
Quote from: Sheb
Most turn-by-turn actions (moveing, melee, firing, throwing, picking up items) occur immediately.  Actions expected to take longer than a turn normally (crafting, pumping gas) use a more complicated framework where it burns down turns incrementally until the task is completed, then the action completes at the end.  Only the long-term actions can be interrupted and resumed.

Quote from: Grendus
I like the new smashing multiple corpses at a time, and one swing smashing, but am I wrong or does it take multiple turns? If so, a warning would be nice, trying to smash a giant pile of zombies
while more are coming can be dangerous if you don't realize it's going to involve a lot of time.
Smashing corpses can easily take multiple turns, and is uninterruptable.  We can take a look at making item pickup/drop and corpse smashing a long-term action so they can be interrupted and halted (and resumed, maybe), but it's too late for the current version.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: November 06, 2013, 01:00:36 pm »

Not sure if it's been reported at all or anything, since I just started playing yesterday (I binged for 8 hours and missed all my classes  :P), but I have a bug with crafting clean water. When I am making clean water using a pot or frying pan and I have multiple types of different bottles (ex: a gallon jug of water and 5 empty plastic bottles), I am constantly dumping clean water onto the ground because the keys for the empty bottles become the same as the bottles with water. For example, I might craft clean water from the jug of water, and press q to dump it into one of the empty plastic bottles. If I open my inventory, both the plastic bottle of clean water AND the stack of 4 plastic bottles that are empty have q as their key. It's fixable by just going into multidrop and dropping the conflicting items, but interestingly enough, only the clean water will actually drop, leaving the empty bottles in my inventory still bound to q. Also when I made a water purifier and then deconstructed it, I made it with plastic bottle and received glass ones. Obviously neither of these are super important since they don't make or break the game, but I just figured I'd let you know.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: November 06, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »

In terms of the speed/turns thing; doesn't ADoM use the same system? It might serve as a useful point of comparison.
In general we find that the amount of time it would take to get someone else's code, attempt to understand it, and then compare it to ours outweighs the benefits that sort of comparison could give, i.e. we might as well spend the same amount of time looking over our own code to change it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1086