Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862369 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8220 on: October 20, 2013, 12:00:26 am »

nope slime pit

At this point for you, yes.  Exactly that.  Start game, check map, see slime pit, suicide and start over.  I'd say the same for fungal stuff and triffid stuff too.
Fungals and Triffids aren't bad if they're a bit away.  If they're like RIGHT there then yeah, bad luck, but if you have to check the map to notice they'e nearby, you can usually escape promptly.

Swamps, on the other hand, are fatal to anyone who even thinks there might be moisture nearby.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:24 am »

So, I was looting a grocery store, when I realized that those fridges both block sight and are draggable. Cue my current shelter, which is now a barricaded grocery store that can't be seen into. Not sure about smells though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: October 20, 2013, 01:06:35 am »

Another choice you have is to ignore tiredness until you want to sleep.  It apparently doesn't add any harmful effects to be tired, even dead tired.  I've not pushed extremely far into dead tired, but I've never had a character just curl up and go to sleep.

From watching janet play I've seen it goes like this. Tired, Dead tired, Exhausted, and then past Exhausted instead of getting a status change you get the message "Survivor sleep now" and you fall to sleep on the spot.

I've also seen her inadvertantly take catnaps while just tired. Neither of us know what's doing that as it never seems to happen on dead tired and farther.
+1 on this.

I've driven my character into the red Exhausted level far too many times because of constructing that nice mobile base. She isn't getting any moodier or any detriment because of it.

Just that I get into yon bed and relaaaaax for ~12hours > Tired, and get a nice meal before sleeping back again.

There is nothing wrong with being Tired, and that part I like. Persevering post-apocalypse survivor! Add that into the fact that sleeping heals all wounds (except broken appendages which can easily be splinted), and its a equation for survival.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:41:40 am by Tiruin »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:24 am »

Hehehehehe!

So, these books with 'charges'?  like drama novel (28)?

I accidentally hit a number before selecting one.  I canceled, then realized that the indicator showed I was picking up a portion of the stack.

So I went back and selected 5, then picked it up.

Sure enough, I had drama novel (5) in my inventory.  I picked up the rest of the book and had two Drama novels, each with the separate respective number of charges.

That's hilarious!  it's like I ripped the book into portions!

Only downside is that these portions won't restack, and each one singly has the same weight and volume of the whole book.

Despite that, I got a real giggle out of envisioning my character snatching up the first fifth of the book and leaving the rest lying there.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: October 20, 2013, 01:49:04 am »

-book drama-
xD

Oh wow, that's hilarious. It's like all books are now old and grey, and their content wastes away until you read it piece by piece, literally.

...Did you try disassembling them for paper? :3

...The same could be said with liquids, but I can't pick up spilt milk. :I

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: October 20, 2013, 01:55:04 am »

-book drama-
xD

Oh wow, that's hilarious. It's like all books are now old and grey, and their content wastes away until you read it piece by piece, literally.

...Did you try disassembling them for paper? :3

...The same could be said with liquids, but I can't pick up spilt milk. :I

Now now, you know what they say about crying over spilt milk  :)

You cannot drop portions of a book.  I'd actually never turned a book into paper.... I've never needed paper.  I guess I've totally missed that portion of gameplay?  It's a firestarter, but so's like.... 40% of the rest of superabundant common materials.  What the heck do you do with paper?

So I tested it; tearing up book (1) gave 80 pages, and so did tearing up book (2).  So yeah, it's a way to get looooots of pages if one wants lots...  Hrm, leave a paper trail?

I notice that when I pick paper up, it goes into the food/drink category.  My character is not (yet) a termite!  But apparently it wants to be.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: October 20, 2013, 02:42:21 am »

Spare paper can go into making bookplate armor if you find the right crafting recipe. The stats didn't seem that great, but I also tend to layer cloth armor instead of going for sturdier single-layer melee-style armor.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:23 am »

I tend to not even bother with armour, I just pile up with sweaters and leather jackets when I expect an ambush.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: October 20, 2013, 02:57:33 am »

Checking for balance, 'Cooking' water clean does one unit at a time.  Water purification tablets use 1 tablet for 1 unit of clean water.  But the electrical water purifier uses 1 charge of batteries to clean any volume of water, up to a full plastic jerrycan(40 units) at least.  Working as intended?  I like how the electrical tool works, it just seems a bit to good to be true.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: October 20, 2013, 02:58:36 am »

I don't know if that's a bug or if it has been intended. For me, cooking water always cleans only one unit at a time.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: October 20, 2013, 03:02:15 am »

Is there a 'good' way to level electronics?  Making batteries seems to give very, very little experience, and low electronics skill keeps holding me back from doing alot of things.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: October 20, 2013, 03:10:01 am »

Is there a 'good' way to level electronics?  Making batteries seems to give very, very little experience, and low electronics skill keeps holding me back from doing alot of things.

Disassemble and reassemble all the flashlights, soldering irons, game systems and the like that you find. If you're low on materials, make sure you have enough skill to rebuild what you take apart without wasting parts.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: October 20, 2013, 03:12:38 am »

Even with fast learner the gain on electronics seems very slow, I already dismantle everything I get and rebuild what I can, but I have never managed to get the skill past level three, and I KNOW there are good recipes available past that.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8233 on: October 20, 2013, 03:31:41 am »

Books?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: October 20, 2013, 04:24:12 am »

The experimental window's curses I downloaded tonight has a bug with setting traps, at least for bear traps - when you set it, the object does not disappear from your inventory, allowing you to use one trap to place an apparently infinite number of set bear traps - each new one functioning independently as a unique bear trap.
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1086