Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862318 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8235 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:30 am »

Spare paper can go into making bookplate armor if you find the right crafting recipe. The stats didn't seem that great, but I also tend to layer cloth armor instead of going for sturdier single-layer melee-style armor.

On the topic of BOokplate armor.

Is it worthwhile?

I've always gone for under armor/kevlar with arm guards and avoid that thinking it's near useless.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: October 20, 2013, 04:35:57 am »

Spare paper can go into making bookplate armor if you find the right crafting recipe. The stats didn't seem that great, but I also tend to layer cloth armor instead of going for sturdier single-layer melee-style armor.

On the topic of BOokplate armor.

Is it worthwhile?

I've always gone for under armor/kevlar with arm guards and avoid that thinking it's near useless.
The mythbuster episodes would seem to show that it can be pretty effective. Its issue is that it wears out really fast.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: October 20, 2013, 07:47:04 am »

so it's the first time I play cataclysm since tile support was lost ages ago, and that game has grown beautifully .

I love the new spawn system where every monster starts spawned from the beginning, but it makes the game so much more difficult !

"back in the days" the usual startegy was to keep every points for traits and stats, then hit a sports store for backpack and baseball bat.

It does not seems to work so well now, what is the new general advice ?

Did the xp system disappeared ?

Also why does the random names system provides names like "Alan Johnson" and not "Urist Laudedballs the Plains of Returning" ? Can somone mod in DF style names :D ?

false edit: I noticed the typo for "startegy" but since I'm asking advice on starting strategies I decided it was a beautiful neologism instead.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:57 am »

XP is replaced by focus, which is a multiplier to how you learn skills

Above 100 means you get faster, below 100 and you get lower.

I may be wrong so don't take this as fact.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: October 20, 2013, 08:00:25 am »

XP system was nixed in favor of the current Focus system, IIRC.  Old morale-xp mechanic had a tendency to pile up WAY more points than you'd ever use WAY faster than you spent them without any especial effort, so it was kinda derpy and busted.  As I understand this new system, Focus is basically a multiplier, representing how quickly you learn - if it's really high, you get lots of xp per xp-incurring action, so your skills and stuff go up quicker.  Inversely, if it's really low, you learn really slowly.

Hrm.  How hard is modding, again?  Didn't Whales said he barely knew any programming when he started this thing?  Is it still like that, or would I have to actually go and learn a language or something.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: October 20, 2013, 10:02:16 am »

Checking for balance, 'Cooking' water clean does one unit at a time.  Water purification tablets use 1 tablet for 1 unit of clean water.  But the electrical water purifier uses 1 charge of batteries to clean any volume of water, up to a full plastic jerrycan(40 units) at least.  Working as intended?  I like how the electrical tool works, it just seems a bit to good to be true.
That's always been how it worked and it was great.  IIRC that used to be the only way to purify water.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:31 am »

Checking for balance, 'Cooking' water clean does one unit at a time.  Water purification tablets use 1 tablet for 1 unit of clean water.  But the electrical water purifier uses 1 charge of batteries to clean any volume of water, up to a full plastic jerrycan(40 units) at least.  Working as intended?  I like how the electrical tool works, it just seems a bit to good to be true.
Huh, that's weird. I coulda sworn the charge cost was more or less 1:1. As in, a full steel jerrycan would take all the purifier's power...
Or mebbe I'm just dumb. :v
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:23 am »

Huh, that's weird. I coulda sworn the charge cost was more or less 1:1. As in, a full steel jerrycan would take all the purifier's power...

It was a full charge per full jerrycan for me as of... about a month ago. Not sure if anything's changed since then.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:55 pm »

Focus is basically a measure of how receptive you are to learning. When you're happy and doing things you enjoy (reading a good book, eating good food, enjoying relaxing drugs and or alcohol, listening to music, playing video games, etc) your focus will go up. When you're unhappy (hot, wet, depressed from killing child zombies, sick from eating bad food, etc) or learning (either by studying books or real world practice) it goes down. The higher your focus, the faster you learn, but also the faster you lose focus. If your focus is very high, you can master a new skill very quickly.

Happiness from different sources stacks, but doing the same thing over and over does not (I don't know of the duration stacks or overlaps). The best way to pump your focus very high very quickly is to do a lot of things that make you very happy in a very short time - listen to an MP3 Player, drink some wine, play a short game on a Handheld Game System, then eat half a dozen different types of candy or a hot meal. Once your happiness gets to over 100, you gain focus very quickly - you can max out your happiness bar in under an hour if you have enough fun things to do. It also tends to hover in the upper 90's right after you sleep, making the early morning an ideal time to cram that electronics/computers textbook you've been lugging around.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: October 20, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »

It does not seems to work so well now, what is the new general advice ?
1) Go slow!
2) Start at a bit of houses that stick out or a building (other then a store) on the edge of town.
3) Lure a few zombies away onto bushes and kill them.
4) Go slow!
5) Repeat until an area of the city is clear

A) If you are still having trouble try putting a point or two into a profession or some starting skills. Stats are cool, but only if you live long enough to utilize them and a small starting boost can make it much easier to survive.
Did the xp system disappeared ?
As people have mentioned it's been replaced by the much more balanced focus system. This allows you to keep learning pretty much constantly, rather then learning at full speed and then suddenly stopping when you run out of xp to spend.
Also why does the random names system provides names like "Alan Johnson" and not "Urist Laudedballs the Plains of Returning" ? Can somone mod in DF style names :D ?
Modding this is as simple as opening up data/json/names.json and adding in the new names that you want to show up. One of the big things we've been pushing for since C:DDA started is moddability; you'll notice that changing any of the new json files is as simple as opening them up, adding the new content, and then restarting your game, no compiling required!

Hrm.  How hard is modding, again?  Didn't Whales said he barely knew any programming when he started this thing?  Is it still like that, or would I have to actually go and learn a language or something.
That... would explain a lot about the horrendous code we find in some places. :P

That said modding for most things is as easy as I outlined above, just change the jsons files and reload and you are good to go (though some effects won't show up until you have moved far enough to generate a new overmap).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:13 pm »

In addition to that, bring matchbooks or lighters and set those bushes to fire, zombies logically do not value their life anymore and so will not be afraid of the fire, they will enter those burning bushes to get to you, heavily damaging themselves.
And if one fire bush+1 hit from you before you retreat (to avoid the zombie retaliation) is not enough, just attract it into another burning bush, it should be enough.

It helps in killing those things quicker if your character is very bad at anything involving melee in the early game.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

In addition to that, bring matchbooks or lighters and set those bushes to fire, zombies logically do not value their life anymore and so will not be afraid of the fire, they will enter those burning bushes to get to you, heavily damaging themselves.
And if one fire bush+1 hit from you before you retreat (to avoid the zombie retaliation) is not enough, just attract it into another burning bush, it should be enough.

It helps in killing those things quicker if your character is very bad at anything involving melee in the early game.

Doubly so if you're running the stable 0.8 - you can use multiple matches to make a very hot fire, which will kill all but the toughest enemies in one hit.

With a bit of luck, you might come across a working car without any gasoline - if you have a gas station nearby, you can bring some in a bottle, get the car to the station and tank, thus getting you a vehicle that is faster than any zombie and is pretty decent at running them over too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #8247 on: October 20, 2013, 02:10:18 pm »

I once found A working car WITH gasoline, it was very fun, I filled it up.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: October 20, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »

It was a full charge per full jerrycan for me as of... about a month ago. Not sure if anything's changed since then.

I'm playing the 0.8 stable version and it costs 40 battery power to purify a plastic jerrycan full of water (40 volume), so it looks like it's 1:1.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: October 20, 2013, 02:19:39 pm »

I once found A working car WITH gasoline, it was very fun, I filled it up.

That's quite rare, even those that do have gasoline often have like 3% remaining.

I've been incredibly lucky to find a working, complete Armored Car within walking distance from Gas Station. Going to refit it with spiked plating, though I already added some blades and upgraded the engine from 2.8 one to 4.4 one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1086