Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862935 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8100 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »

or they somehow got up and moved somewhere else

Revived zombies are kinda distinctive - they don't stop to put their clothing back on.  When you kill one, it'll leave just the corpse.

If you're in line of sight of a re-risen zombie, it comes right for you; it won't sneak off and try to get ya next time.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: October 17, 2013, 08:49:17 pm »

I seem to remember the 'a' key in older versions displaying your whole inventory when pressed instead of just showing tool items. It does still function as the universal 'do whatever command' but now I need to memorize every inventory item letter or use 'i' to check or the other, less-accessible, pretty much redundant command keys related to item-type 'E'at 'W'ear etc. instead of checking with a quick glance after pressing the 'a'wesome-utility key. The (mostly, barring advanced interactions) one-button item interaction was one of the things about this game I loved. Lots of saved keypresses. Now I find my left eye twitching as my keypress to action performed ratio goes berserk.

In other unrelated news, Brock Samson, my high-str melee goon in the latest experimental has successfully fortified the shelter and obtained basic survival tools from smashing most everything in it to shit and taking a short hike. I think I may be starting to get the hang of this...
This is not a signature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

Wait, explain that a little simpler?  When you hit 'activate' and it only shows usable tools, this is bad?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »

In the older versions, it listed all items on keypress, and would context-use the item in question based on its function, i.e. 'a' and a food item would consume said item. 'a' and a tool would activate its function. And so forth. A one-press solution to all the other command keybindings. It still functions that way, just now it doesn't show all your belongings like it used to.

Not sure if this was changed in the jump to DDA, but I know for solid fact it behaved this way in Whales-era builds, at least.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:07:18 pm by Skeeblix »
This is not a signature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:49 pm »

So, it's too complicated to remember "W" and "E" then?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: October 17, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »

No, it's just more keystroke movement for an individual with chronic wrist and hand pain from a job-related injury a handful of years ago, and the old way made my life a little less painful. Sorry you don't understand.
This is not a signature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »

I do apologize that I don't understand.  But if the difference between pressing a, e, and w (all adjacent keys!) is putting too much strain on you, then I think you have bigger issues at hand than simple keystrokes...

This is, otherwise, what we like to call 'first world problems' where there's such a TINY difference that's ruining your day.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »

It far from ruins a whole day, dear Behatted One but a game like this where I tend to while away the hours, it does aggravate the ache. Just an observation of change, take it as-is. Hopefully, you'll never have to smash a limb to hell and back like I did and find out firsthand what I deal with to play this gem.  ;)

Say, there's no way to drink rainwater apart from building the collectors, is there? Never did figure that one out...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:50:23 pm by Skeeblix »
This is not a signature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:20 pm »

The only way to handle rainwater currently is to place a funnel as a trap ('a'ctivate it and pick a tile) and then place a container on the same tile.  Bottles will work, but if you have something like a jerrycan or keg you can end up with a lot of water.

Personally, I rarely use funnels these days.  Public pools are usually easily accessible.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: October 17, 2013, 09:59:02 pm »

I personally dislike the change to the a'ctivate menu too. One reason I liked cataclysm was it seemed to be straying away from the rougelike norm of keys being needlessly spaced out in that sense. Though I just find myself using the I'ventory key to do anything now. Which feels a bit more reasonable from someone tired of rougelike UIs.

Also if you set a jerrycan with a funnel please make sure to check the can before drinking from it. As they also pick up acid. I know it's totally unnecessary for me to mention this but I did drink bleach in game once because I wasn't paying attention.

Worst breakfast ever!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: October 17, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »

Hasn't everyone drunk bleach at least once?  I like, started downing a whole bottle before I realized my thirst was going UP!  I stopped before dying...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8112 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:57 pm »

Trying to purify acid water has led to my consumption on several occasions. (it's NOT (a)ctivate)

Good thing about smaller containers, (I use 3l jars), is you don't have to worry about an acid drizzle ruining ALL of the water.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: October 17, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »

I swear zombies actively try to break vehicle welding rigs. This is the second one that's been smashed on the same day as I installed it. It's starting to get ridiculous.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »

I swear zombies actively try to break vehicle welding rigs. This is the second one that's been smashed on the same day as I installed it. It's starting to get ridiculous.
Damage propagates through vehicles, damaging items further back from the point of impact.  This seems to apply to collisions and zombie claws.  I've taken to editing the JSON and giving fragile parts more durability, because right now the system is fairly broken.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 1086