Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862691 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8115 on: October 17, 2013, 10:37:17 pm »

By which I mean, I'll be parked and working and zombies will come up and smash the welding rig without me noticing.

On a highly related note, it would be nice if I would get an interrupt WHILE I'M BEING MAULED! I was doing some welding, by the time it alerted me my survivor suit had gone from reinforced to dented and one of my pairs of cargo pants had been completely destroyed.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »

By which I mean, I'll be parked and working and zombies will come up and smash the welding rig without me noticing.

On a highly related note, it would be nice if I would get an interrupt WHILE I'M BEING MAULED! I was doing some welding, by the time it alerted me my survivor suit had gone from reinforced to dented and one of my pairs of cargo pants had been completely destroyed.
This is why I'm not currently playing.  The single biggest threat to an experienced survivor is the act of cooking meat.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:49 pm »

Is it intended to require 9 kevlar plates to repair a survivor suit? It's a great piece of gear and all, but 9 plates seems a bit excessive. I had to debug more in just to make sure it wasn't bugged.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: October 17, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »

The single biggest threat to an experienced survivor is the act of cooking meat.

This is so not true for my playstyle.

Make yourself a stone hammer, 1 heavy stick and one rock, then go gather (multiple trips if needed) 40 more rocks and make yourself a stone fireplace in any indoor location.

Make sure the immediate area is clear of spawning stuff (like fungals) and cleared of static stuff - that stuff will break down your doors and windows.

Once the immediate area is clear, close the doors and shutter the windows of the room that your fireplace is in, close every possible path that leads to the outside or the rest of the structure.  Board up broken down doors or windows that cannot close anylonger.

Cook to your heart's content.  No smoke, and the normal hostiles that spawn, from cougar to even bears, they won't break down your shuttered windows.  You'll 'hear' them outside, you'll have to deal with them when you open that door or window, but that's on your terms and in your own timing.

Heck, I've finally started using my starting evac shelter as a base, because of the light given off by the working computer.  With all windows and doors closed to block line of sight, it's like my own little world.  My current one's 5 squares from spawning swamp.  I've had frogs leaping outside, waiting for me to open up an access for them, but again, no interruptions.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:06 pm »

ANY long-term activity can only be done in a hermetically sealed chamber.  Trying to rip a steel frame off a car has gotten me 7 minutes of moose attack before...  I also lost a VERY good character due to a nearby fire, while waiting on a building to burn, because I simply 'waited' to death in the heat.

You pretty much said this as well.  "The only time I start cooking is when I have a perfectly safe, cleared, closed room with a specific oven."

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8120 on: October 18, 2013, 12:03:04 am »

Hmm, I've never had a problem with it. Then again, I cook in my sealed vehicle just outside of town, and keep safemode on & set to ~25 tiles.

It interrupts as soon as something wanders too close, (which is rare), and I've never even had damage done to the vehicle.

Is it intended to require 9 kevlar plates to repair a survivor suit? It's a great piece of gear and all, but 9 plates seems a bit excessive. I had to debug more in just to make sure it wasn't bugged.
I've only used the light suit, (repairs with rags), but that does sound ridiculous. Are you sure you didn't 'waste a ton'?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:47 am »

I think the heavy one I had was repairable with scrap metal or kevlar... but that was a few versions ago.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:16 am »

Hasn't everyone drunk bleach at least once?  I like, started downing a whole bottle before I realized my thirst was going UP!  I stopped before dying...

What in the world made you think drinking BLEACH is a good idea? Aside from maybe watching too much Metalocalypse. IT'S BLEACH. TOXIC-ISH! (not to mention that your digestive tract is now snow-white)

@lethal cooking: seriously, get a fireplace. If you have a hard time finding rocks, set a building on fire - it spawns a fuckton of them in the wreckage.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:36 am »

@lethal cooking: seriously, get a fireplace. If you have a hard time finding rocks, set a building on fire - it spawns a fuckton of them in the wreckage.
Cataclysm: Having trouble fixing your smoke problem? Set a building on fire!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: October 18, 2013, 02:55:10 am »

Cataclysm: Having trouble fixing your smoke problem? Set a building on fire!

Ah, see, what I told you about finding rocks and building a fireplace was only a half-truth.

The building you set on fire is an offering to the fire gods, in exchange for them giving you power to not get murdered by a campfire.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: October 18, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

My last character died when I set a building on fire and the game failed to alert me to suddenly dehydrating.  Buildings take too long to burn, you have to wait or sleep, and waiting and sleeping are extended actions, which means you'll die without ever getting a warning.

I know that the game registers actions that happen when you're performing extended actions, they show up on the event log.  They just need to FULLY register the actions and immediately cease the extended action...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: October 18, 2013, 08:01:11 am »

Sadly, this is what savescum and the debug menu is for. I'll play fair when the game does.

Anyone know of some good armor for the arms? The survivor suit is taking so much damage because tai-kwon-do moves damage to the arms, I need a good set of arm coverage to layer on top.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:10:33 am by Grendus »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:19 am »

This is embarassing. I saved in a pharmacy in town and today, I can't remember where I left my car  :'(
Feeling down? Click Here!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:10 am »

Dude.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:14 am »

Sadly, this is what savescum and the debug menu is for. I'll play fair when the game does.

Anyone know of some good armor for the arms? The survivor suit is taking so much damage because tai-kwon-do moves damage to the arms, I need a good set of arm coverage to layer on top.
Metal Arm Guards.  Repairs with soldering iron and scrap metal.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 1086