Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863478 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7935 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »

I believe 1 unit of liquid = 250ml?  This seems to be the unified measurement that I can tell from descriptions.  A 3l jar would hold 12 units, and should be 12 volume (every container is the same size as how much it holds!) to be properly balanced...

Is there a way to store solid items in a container?  Like, can I fill a plastic bag with some meat I cooked?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: October 15, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »

I believe 1 unit of liquid = 250ml?  This seems to be the unified measurement that I can tell from descriptions.  A 3l jar would hold 12 units, and should be 12 volume (every container is the same size as how much it holds!) to be properly balanced...
This right here, and anything that doesn't currently meet this definition is a bug.

As for solid items in containers, no, you can't; or at least not at the moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:32 pm »

But it still means that if the jar is made into 6 volume it's more space efficient than the 6 volume canteen. I can understand the waterskin being 6 volume since it's bulky and unweildly, and prone to deforming oddly in storage. But the canteen feels pointless when it's just big and bulky and the jar holds twice, even if they have the same 6 volume they take up in your inventory.

Being able to deform would actually make it slightly easier to pack into a backpack, but less easy to get in and out. Water has a relatively set volume. Honestly it should take up only a limited amount of space when empty, as its not a rigid container, but that'd be a pain to code, I suspect.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: October 15, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »

But it still means that if the jar is made into 6 volume it's more space efficient than the 6 volume canteen. I can understand the waterskin being 6 volume since it's bulky and unweildly, and prone to deforming oddly in storage. But the canteen feels pointless when it's just big and bulky and the jar holds twice, even if they have the same 6 volume they take up in your inventory.

Being able to deform would actually make it slightly easier to pack into a backpack, but less easy to get in and out. Water has a relatively set volume. Honestly it should take up only a limited amount of space when empty, as its not a rigid container, but that'd be a pain to code, I suspect.
Used to be that items could inflate with their stored items - you'd see mainly things like plastic bags of potato chips being full at 1-2 volume, and empty at 0 volume.  Wasn't used often enough...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7939 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »

Right now the only value to having larger containers is convenience. Excepting the 3l jar, (which somehow compresses water into a smaller volume), everything takes up the same space- except larger containers are heavier.
Plastic bottles are the best containers stat-wise, they're the lightest.
The tradeoff is taking a longer time to collect more than 500ml of water.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.

As for wearable containers, they would only be valuable if they DON'T create encumbrance. They have to be slotless, otherwise they take up valuable encumbrance and gain nothing from their wearability. If they're slotless on the other hand, their volume becomes a non-issue. Presto chango all the cool kids wear waterskins & canteens.

Going off-topic from volume:
Volume vs storability.
Basically, using true volume, (water displacement), as the measure for how much you can stuff in your backpack isn't the best system- it doesn't account for the difference between trying to tuck a baseball bat into the side of one's backpack and trying to stow a pile of bent & chopped up chain link fence; the latter will take up a lot more volume in your backpack despite having a displacement equal to a bat.
The obvious solution to this is 'well give it a value that's truer to storability than displacement'. Fair enough, but now you've got a psuedo-volume that can be misleading.

If that last bit is the case, suggestion: change the term 'volume' to avoid confusion.
If that isn't the case & the 'volume' stat for items is their true displacement: we shouldn't be using that to model storage volume!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

You can also carry a baseball bat inside 2 gun holsters and a bootstrap.  It has long been acknowledged that we don't care about actual carrying logistics or making worn inventory make a lot of sense - treating it by 'volume' as we do now and doing straight stacking is simply the best way without getting REALLY complicated systems...

I'd be fine with worn water containers being 0 encumberance to their body part, making that probably torso or leg depending on how it's worn.  You might argue that having it take up valuable encumberance is a problem, but some of us play unusual builds.  I'll regularly travel in only a skirt, tank top, and boots, giving me VERY little storage space.  Being able to wear a canteen on the hip would help a great deal, even if it attempts to give a little encumberance.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »

As for wearable containers, they would only be valuable if they DON'T create encumbrance. They have to be slotless, otherwise they take up valuable encumbrance and gain nothing from their wearability. If they're slotless on the other hand, their volume becomes a non-issue. Presto chango all the cool kids wear waterskins & canteens.

Nuff said :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2747435489_3edb80ee25.jpg

Dont tell me that thing give encumbrance as you could even place a backpack over it and still not feel it, even cushion the pointy endge of what would be inside the said backpack.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: October 15, 2013, 06:35:33 pm »

That's a military waterskin.  Common canteens are a whole other issue.

Also, my weather is downright broken.  I've had acid rain for the past 3 days, and even debugging to change the weather will only change back to acid rain after 1 turn.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »

That's a military waterskin.  Common canteens are a whole other issue.

Yeah. Those go on a belt clip or simply get clipped to your belt. Entirely out of the way either way it goes.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:43 pm »

Don't know if you've actually taken a walk, but having a canteen hanging loose from your belt would get in the way really fast.  It'll tend to swing back and forth, especially when you get into anything like combat.

Also, we need Bandoliers!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: October 15, 2013, 07:04:48 pm »

Also, we need Bandoliers!

Isn't that... the Utility Vest?  Although calling it a Bandolier would be really cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »

Well, that's mainly it.  Actually call it a bandoleer!  It might also need some tweaking to the coverage and warmth and whatnot, and of course be more rare!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »

Don't know if you've actually taken a walk, but having a canteen hanging loose from your belt would get in the way really fast.  It'll tend to swing back and forth, especially when you get into anything like combat.

Gone hunting with one in a beltpouch/clip. Including running full tilt after a friend that got spooked and almost got himself lost. Was a total non issue. I COULD imagine it being a problem if like... You hooked it to a thin belt or something but it's not really something I think would ultimately be simulated in game that way. (Assuming the canteen is ultimately gonna be made worth a damn, or the waterskin for that matter)

Now a waterskin tied over a shoulder I would imagine getting in the way. Since it's a bladder of water just loosely secured on a rope. That's a way different story.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: October 15, 2013, 08:26:57 pm »

I'd prefer to do it as - a canteen can be worn like a fannypack and takes up no encumbrance. The waterskin can't be worn, but only takes up as much volume as is in it (who knows why that's not working at the moment) but holds more water overall.
Also, GirlInHat, we've received a few reports of that but none of the devs have been able to replicate it - what is your version number?

Also, how did you go about making plating opaque? I think I'm gonna make a PR for that, because I agree with it, and also throw in a less effective "barred" alternative that can be seen through.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:30:03 pm by GlyphGryph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:23 pm »

Also, how did you go about making plating opaque? I think I'm gonna make a PR for that, because I agree with it, and also throw in a less effective "barred" alternative that can be seen through.

Probably the same way I made the "o door" for vehicles, unless that changed with Dark Days.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1086