Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863626 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7860 on: October 14, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »

So I sorta transported my old character to the new experimental since the vehicle improvements sounded cool. And I found my first abandoned storefront. ... After sending my cube van through several boarded up windows and shelves because SOME genius (Me) thought driving in the middle of the night was a great idea. Meaning I accidentally got a van inside a building.

Now I'm wondering if I can replace the broken windows with a gate of some kind like at a garage.

By the way does anyone have any idea how to put headlights on a vehicle properly? I seem to keep making them crooked and it's somewhat infuriating!

I suspect you actually put them right, but someone included a bit of realism: IRL, headlights have to light up the right side of the road further than the left side (so that you could see pedestrians with ninja training, animals and stuff like that without blinding people coming from the other side), and that makes it look crooked.

I just found out a cool feature in the experimental: an otherwise ordinary house that had a staircase into the basement, where the owner's survivalist stash was located. A Deagle, some ammo, and two gun magazines (rifles and shotguns). Cool stuff.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »

I suspect you actually put them right, but someone included a bit of realism: IRL, headlights have to light up the right side of the road further than the left side (so that you could see pedestrians with ninja training, animals and stuff like that without blinding people coming from the other side), and that makes it look crooked.

The problem with this was... I was installing it on a motorcycle. So it ended up pointing to the side despite it likely being more practical to face ahead. Which confused me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »

I finally beat Common Cold. Was much harder than beating a Brute, who found out that a lot of flesh < flesh in a steel can.

BTW, how do I shot web use the turret on the Armored Car?
Place the turret and and make sure you have ammo for it. If you're using the M249, drop the ammo on the turret. Activate the vehicles controls and set them to burst mode; they'll automatically fire on nearby enemies.

Turrets are currently kind of buggy; they fire at hallucinations and are massively inaccurate.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:45 pm »

JESUS. FUCKING. CHRIST. WHAT THE FUCK.

I've been exploring the surroundings in my spiffing armored car when suddenly...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The best part is that they all just get smashed on my windshield like their non-giant equivalents. But it's insane, the picture doesn't really show HOW FUCKING MUCH of them are there.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: October 14, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »

1. status effects, they can also get boosted.
2. Yes, if you are in the same world.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

The best part is that they all just get smashed on my windshield like their non-giant equivalents. But it's insane, the picture doesn't really show HOW FUCKING MUCH of them are there.
Since swamps still run off dynamic spawn, noise makes them spawn faster. Cars make noise, which increases spawn rate which smash against your car making more sound which increases spawn rate...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »

Since swamps still run off dynamic spawn, noise makes them spawn faster. Cars make noise, which increases spawn rate which smash against your car making more sound which increases spawn rate...

It actually ended with me save-scumming to the still-suffering-from-cold-pre-fireplace save, for the dumbest possible reason. The car went into a skid and it hit *just* right in the FUCKING FUEL TANK. Leaving me far away from home, the only way back being through a zombie-infested city that also happens to HAVE A FUCKING PORTAL IN IT, all the while being pursued by giant insects, slugs, and assorted spineless giantic crap.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »

It actually ended with me save-scumming to the still-suffering-from-cold-pre-fireplace save, for the dumbest possible reason. The car went into a skid and it hit *just* right in the FUCKING FUEL TANK. Leaving me far away from home, the only way back being through a zombie-infested city that also happens to HAVE A FUCKING PORTAL IN IT, all the while being pursued by giant insects, slugs, and assorted spineless giantic crap.
I am disappointed in your subpar sense of adventure.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: October 14, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »

Sounds like the game's doing exactly what it's supposed to do!

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #7869 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:32 pm »

Find A bike bro, get dose feet muscles up to peedle faster then the eldritch horrors behind you, not be A wimp and save scum
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »

I'll admit that sounds rough, but I'd say the way to go is just take a looong circle around town over night or something.  If you don't have a flashlight to periodically check around you, then that was your first mistake.  Otherwise, just take it slow and steady through the safest route you can see.

Meanwhile, while everyone else is talking about their safehouses, I've adopted a Cathedral for my purposes.  Solid stone, no windows, just outside of town, with plenty of room and free lumber, a beds in the basement.  Slept there for a week before opening the locked door and finding the... other inhabitants.  They were surprisingly non-aggressive even as I shot them to pieces.

And now it's all mine and I'm amassing a wealth of material to do basically nothing with.  As the last man on Earth, this is basically my nightlife.  Let that be an inspiration for any long-term development plans.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: October 14, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »

Man, i feel boring with my car. It's literally just a car, all I've done is move the engine so that it's less likely to take damage, and add another trunk space. At least i have large amounts of guns in the back seat. If i could just find a jack then i could do cool things.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »

By the way does anyone have any idea how to put headlights on a vehicle properly? I seem to keep making them crooked and it's somewhat infuriating!
IIRC you install the headlight and then just hit the direction you want it to be facing in.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:29 pm »

So we're talking bases?

Public Works compounds are really awesome; they're fenced, have multiple buildings, are usually somewhat isolated, and have an absolute ton of useful equipment. This one had something like two dozen tools, ~30 2x4s, a couple sheets of glass, six tires, and I think a couple of solar panels, as well as a fridge full of food and water. Oh, and that little door by the pile of clothing is my arms locker.

Spoiler: My map as it stands (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7874 on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

This:
Is my new katana.
Its charcoal-forged blade is composed of pure-lump steel from 5 different towns, the tang sheathed in wood from the forest behind it's birthplace, the tsuka wrapped in moose hide and the ignition source provided by the hall itself.

I brought this creation into the world under the cold stone arches of my first-encountered cathedral, working through the night to perfect it.

My old sword stays, an offering for the universe, a gift for those that might follow me.
But now, the dawn has brought me a new tool for my hands, and my hands will show it to my enemies.
Time to get started.

Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 1086