Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863503 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7875 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »

Public works facilities are pretty much the best place to be if you need to craft things with metal.

How do other people reinforce their cars death dragsters?  Boards are really nice, but they restrict my vision a lot.  I really want to craft boards with grilled windows on them.

Over-sized pic of my vehicle.  Originally it had boards going around the front wheel as well, but that gave me maybe a 5 degree arc of vision.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone built a chariot of carnage?  Attach maybe 6 gas tanks and a v8 to motocycle, then board it wearing your finest furs under your plate armor and your vikingest weapon.  Ride the chariot at top speed into foul creatures and, after you're thrown clear of the explosion, slay the survivors in front of the massive firestorm you started.  Bonus points if you keep a large stash of mini-nukes in seat box.

This:
Is my new katana.

How many times did you fold it?  All that noise is great, but the only thing that really matters is how many times it was folded.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »

You only need to fold it, if you have really shitty iron.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: October 14, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

I'm working on the newest WARBUS 2.0 - with the advent of frames-under-doors and shutter doors, I've got a lot more options for construction, so I'm building a new powerhouse.  Current estimates put it at 6x3 interior movement space, with additionally compartmented driving cabin and engines in the back.  Run on solar, the engines, panels, and batteries are in the rear.  The interior has a LUSCIOUS bedspace, welding rig, and kitchen unit.

It doesn't go through streets very well, but it's a mobile base and it owns the open field.

WARBUS 3.0 is expected to fly.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:19 pm »

Booted up the new version of C:DDA to play around with a bit.

Looted a house on the edge of town for some supplies, got an M1911 pistol and a cx4 Storm with improved aim mods and ammo for each, as well as water and some cheap food for the day. Cool stuff, still gonna use a nail board and rocks.

Went back and spent some time boarding up the shelter until I can find a better base. Is there no way to tell what time it is without a watch? I don't know how much time was spent fortifying the shelter and I don't want to get caught out scavenging after dark.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: October 14, 2013, 09:49:57 pm »

Where the time icon is, it shows the estimated position of the sun/moon.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »

La dee da just walking in a field in the rain looking for loot la dee da oh golly gee whiz I appear to have stepped on a landmine, well that's a bit of a bother.

Seriously, random landmines out of nowhere? At least this explains the two random explosions I heard earlier, and the deer corpse I found, but c'mon. That's a bit of a kick in the pants. Suddenly my clothes are ripped and I'm at 40 pain.

Guess I'm not walking in any fields anytime soon.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: October 14, 2013, 10:29:05 pm »

You can see them if you have (I think) 9 perception?

Also, I have decided the Smokers were just too easy, pushovers really, and it's been too long since my last creation, so I have introduced a far more cruel monster to the game.

Enjoy your trips in the woods, folks! Mwahahah.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:37:09 pm by GlyphGryph »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7882 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:59 pm »

They also show up in roads- watch out for roughly-broken pavement.

You only need to fold it, if you have really shitty iron.
-This. Let's just say I knew where to find the properly-rated steels & skipped a good chunk of metallurgy. Fits within the forging timeframe, and would likely produce top-tier results anyway.

-
Also, I have decided the Smokers were just too easy, pushovers really, and it's been too long since my last creation, so I have introduced a far more cruel monster to the game.

Enjoy your trips in the woods, folks! Mwahahah.

What did you just do?!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:27 pm »

Think it might be a bit higher than 9 PER. Could be wrong, though. In either case, they'll be in areas with broken pavement or bare dirt. Not that that helps if you hit one doing 80mph.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »

Possibilities for what Glyph added:

Forest smokers.
Ant lion traps.
Magma Carp
Giant Forest Spiders.

And I think it's 10 per to see mines.  So yer good with 10 perception, unless it's a sunny day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: October 14, 2013, 11:48:18 pm »

This:
Is my new katana.
Its charcoal-forged blade is composed of pure-lump steel from 5 different towns, the tang sheathed in wood from the forest behind it's birthplace, the tsuka wrapped in moose hide and the ignition source provided by the hall itself.

I brought this creation into the world under the cold stone arches of my first-encountered cathedral, working through the night to perfect it.

My old sword stays, an offering for the universe, a gift for those that might follow me.
But now, the dawn has brought me a new tool for my hands, and my hands will show it to my enemies.
Time to get started.

You can craft stuff like that? If yes, tell me how o.O
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:31 am »

I find that smokers are pretty nasty if you can't hit them with a molotov or one shot them.  The smoke inhalation affliction does a large amount of damage and I don't think there's any way to treat the symptoms.  Not that adding more enemies is undesirable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:05:37 am by Rez »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:07 am »

Smokers are obnoxious because they obscure vision, and seemingly can keep up with me, at least, even when I have Quick.  I've also found them to be pretty tough in a fight, too - they take a fair amount of rounds and pain to put down in melee.

My last encounter with them was while driving around in town joyriding in a car - it was kinda spooky ramming them, since I wouldn't know if there was a wreck behind them or not.  Eventually I wrecked the car by running a hulk over and killing it - breaking the thing's engine in the process.  About two tiles from a smoker zambie's cloud radius, incidentally, but that's not too relevant - none of them gave me much trouble, as I'd thankfully made a filter mask before taking my little trip.

Also slightly annoying is that, IIRC, they don't show up on the directional MONSTERS YOU CAN SEE thing, since, of course, they're hidden by smoke.  STEALTH ZOMBIES.

Question:  Do electric vehicle motors model that thing where they don't really need to 'accelerate' like a gas motor does?  I recall it being such when I made one - it was a hybrid scratch-built RV, and essentially wouldn't move if I set it to anything lower than 30 mph, at which point it would IMMEDIATELY jump to 20 mph - kinda problematic for maneuvering in town - but I'm not sure if that's a legit thing, or if the game was just derping because my car was a fat PoS and my engines couldn't handle attempts to move it with anything less than "OH GOD WE'RE GONNA DIE" on the gas pedal.  Hyperbole.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:21 am »

they don't show up
Ding-ding-ding! You are correct! It is irritating.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7889 on: October 15, 2013, 02:05:26 am »

snip
You can craft stuff like that? If yes, tell me how o.O

If you're talking about the katana, it's 9 skill in fabrication, a skill book and a whole range of tools. And also time/mats.

If you're talking about flaming swords, as already mentioned it's less skill/tool intensive and is available for some cutting weapons. Also, they work as gas-powered torches.

If you're talking about the stats, I may have edited the jsons a bit and gotten more generous than 'fixing the *volume*' as I had set out to do.

If you're talking about the moose hide, it's head-canon. There's no in-game description/distinction; I just know for a fact it's moose leather because I hunted the thing and kept what I got from it separate from my other supplies.

wouldn't move if I set it to anything lower than 30 mph, at which point it would IMMEDIATELY jump to 20 mph - kinda problematic for maneuvering in town
I think that's related to the acceleration- how much it jumps per tick. My vehicle's at 15 and that's how much it changes once it's coasted too far below the cruise control.
Try turning off cruise control?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:11:26 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 1086