Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863500 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7890 on: October 15, 2013, 02:09:16 am »

head-canon
Now I want a head-cannon bionic...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: October 15, 2013, 02:13:07 am »

I'm working on the newest WARBUS 2.0 - with the advent of frames-under-doors and shutter doors, I've got a lot more options for construction, so I'm building a new powerhouse.  Current estimates put it at 6x3 interior movement space, with additionally compartmented driving cabin and engines in the back.  Run on solar, the engines, panels, and batteries are in the rear.  The interior has a LUSCIOUS bedspace, welding rig, and kitchen unit.

It doesn't go through streets very well, but it's a mobile base and it owns the open field.

WARBUS 3.0 is expected to fly.
I'm a tad bit curious here.

What's the difference on the shutter doors or trunk doors or somesuch? I've heard that there are doors which open by honking the horn and all that..

Also I do love the latest experimental build. Non-crashing NPCs, and they know how to leap over and get onto your vehicle without any complaints--getting them off is as good as just moving into their position. They'll stay stuck on the vehicle otherwise.

Next note: NPC saved positions. Whenever I load a game, they're displaced. Good side: Only by a few tiles on the map.

...I've never found out how to get 'Territorial' (those people who swear at you and say this 'area' is their turf, even if the NPC somehow spawns in Deep water...) NPCs to talk.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:09 am »

Playing tonight's experimental.

Found a book of fairy tales, seen that before - only this one's got charges.  24 of em!

Made me wonder, then I understood.

There's only so many times I can read a book, especially in a row, before I'm simply sick of it and don't enjoy the read anymore.  Perfect!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: October 15, 2013, 02:38:07 am »

I thought that was like... how many pages were in the thing for me to rip out, or something.

Also, should totally recharge every year or so.  I'm actually rereading my favorite books from like years ago right now.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: October 15, 2013, 02:39:40 am »

I thought that was like... how many pages were in the thing for me to rip out, or something.

Also, should totally recharge every year or so.  I'm actually rereading my favorite books from like years ago right now.

I agree that it should recharge over time, but it shouldn't be that long. It should depend on the ability to recall it, and personal taste.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:39 am »

@my armored car misadventures, I was as good as dead. If it was only a trip through the zombie-infested town, I would have tried, especially since I had enough plastic bottles to carry gasoline back to the car eventually. But the thing is, I've been in the range of a Giant... Fly? Mosquito? Don't remember right now, faster than me, and since my accuracy sucked, the time it would take would let a Slug get in the range, then everything else from the gigantic swarm.

There's also the fact that the city I near to was by the riverside, the only bridge being inside the city, south of which was the portal and a zombie horde, and north of which was more of the city, including an Office Tower. Savescum was the only way I could avoid losing the save altogether, which would quite piss me off.

-snip for not letting you talk-

Do you really want me to see how much it takes to get you out of the forum? Especially since you can be proven to be guilty of a crime that can lead you to being locked up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:59:19 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7898 on: October 15, 2013, 05:52:40 am »

@Trolldude: You seem to have taken all of this very personally. I don't really understand why. You keep posting your mod, which is fine I guess though a bit spammy. What is your goal? Just to bother people?

I mean if you acted like a rational person, people here would have no problems with you... but instead you post like a lunatic conspiracy theorist. I just have trouble understanding why. If your goal is to point out that the kickstarter's goals have not been met, this isn't really the place for that. There is a comment area for the kickstarter and there was a thread about the kickstarter.

So instead you'll just keep posting here and keep getting deleted. If you're okay with wasting your time in this manner, I don't really mind.

So keep on posting trollguy, I'm sure you'll make a difference in your one-man campaign against a niche game on a small forum in this tiny corner of the internet. At least you make me smile, and I think I'll call you Sisyphus from now on.

(Yes I know this will probably be deleted but I'm on meds and his posts have always struck me as charmingly naive)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:42 am »

Also, I have decided the Smokers were just too easy, pushovers really, and it's been too long since my last creation, so I have introduced a far more cruel monster to the game.

Enjoy your trips in the woods, folks! Mwahahah.
Smokers are 100% lethal to anyone not wearing a mask.

I'm working on the newest WARBUS 2.0 - with the advent of frames-under-doors and shutter doors, I've got a lot more options for construction, so I'm building a new powerhouse.  Current estimates put it at 6x3 interior movement space, with additionally compartmented driving cabin and engines in the back.  Run on solar, the engines, panels, and batteries are in the rear.  The interior has a LUSCIOUS bedspace, welding rig, and kitchen unit.

It doesn't go through streets very well, but it's a mobile base and it owns the open field.

WARBUS 3.0 is expected to fly.
I'm a tad bit curious here.

What's the difference on the shutter doors or trunk doors or somesuch? I've heard that there are doors which open by honking the horn and all that..
Shudder Doors block vision, and open all adjacent (orthogonal and diagonal) shudder doors.
Sliding Doors do not block vision, and open all adjacent (orthogonal and diagonal) sliding doors.
Trunk Doors seem to be identical to Sliding Doors.

What I've done is set my control seat at the front of the WARBUS, and built a ring of sliding doors around it.  While driving I keep them closed, but you can still see through.  When moving into a new town, I'll park on the edge of town, facing inwards, blowing the car horns (multiple) and open the doors.  The zombies the come for me have to crawl over the 400 movement point open doors (same as a window) and by that time I've usually got a Zweihander or similar that can wipe them out in droves.  Or a decently powerful pistol that I can train skill on by pegging them at short range.  Really any combat skill at that point.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: October 15, 2013, 07:58:59 am »

@my armored car misadventures, I was as good as dead. If it was only a trip through the zombie-infested town, I would have tried, especially since I had enough plastic bottles to carry gasoline back to the car eventually. But the thing is, I've been in the range of a Giant... Fly? Mosquito? Don't remember right now, faster than me, and since my accuracy sucked, the time it would take would let a Slug get in the range, then everything else from the gigantic swarm.
Yeah you didn't want this to happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbEDM5WZ68

Exactly! Wearing a mask is a trivially easy solution to overcome them, and thankfully my newest critter does not have that glaring weakness. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:02:09 am by GlyphGryph »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:55 am »

Exactly! Wearing a mask is a trivially easy solution to overcome them, and thankfully my newest critter does not have that glaring weakness. ^_^

I can't help but feel like this is the same sort of thinking that went into the spawning routine in the first place.  "Oh, you found a way to survive after the first hour?  Clearly something is wrong."

For how much every core DDA developer seems to encourage the 'run to the hinterlands' starting strategy, why exactly is a nearly-unbeatable monstrosity lurking in the woods necessary?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: October 15, 2013, 08:23:34 am »

This sounds like an outright bad idea.  Don't get me wrong, I'm always in favor of a good challenge, but smoke as it exists is not a challenge - it's either a slow and painful death, consuming a LOT of healing items, or it's forcing you to outright avoid large areas at all costs.  As it stands, smoke is the single worst thing in the game because you cannot even COOK FOOD without killing yourself.  Smokers alone will spawn somewhere and outright prevent you from entering that area, but any fire you start to try cooking of cleaning water or crafting many items will kill you from smoke inhalation.  Smokers have even worse smoke effects.

If you're just going to start adding effects that deal 150% torso damage with no cure and no defense and spawn everywhere, then there's no point playing anymore.  There's "challenging" and there "don't bother anymore".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:32 am »

Don't worry, it's not a smoke critter (and in my defense, smoke wasn't NEARLY as bad when the Smoker was introduced, it obtained it's super lethality after the field rewrite) and it's not really as bad as I'm making it out to be. The new creature is, for example, s...u...p...e...r...s...l...o...w, pretty inaccurate, only has a melee attack, etc. etc.

It is beyond the ability of most characters to outright kill - one of it's two powers is massive health regen. It also leaves behind a trail of sticky goo, but you generally have to do something stupid for that to matter.

In my recent game I finally encountered one and convinced it to follow me to town and basically used it as my own pet battle obstacle super-bush thing.

I am interested in seeing people's responses to it, though - unlike the smokers, where the primary problem isn't really the smoker so much as the absurd effect of smoke itself, the Crawler isn't limited by using any generic fields, so it's much easier to tweak.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: October 15, 2013, 08:53:13 am »

Shudder Doors block vision, and open all adjacent (orthogonal and diagonal) shudder doors.
Sliding Doors do not block vision, and open all adjacent (orthogonal and diagonal) sliding doors.
Trunk Doors seem to be identical to Sliding Doors.
Actually I'm wrong here.  Updates have made it so that you can no longer reach through a solid Board to use a welding rig, so modifying my WARBUS became marginally more complicated.  I instead put in a shudder door right beside the welding rig and kitchen unit, as well as a larger door at the main entrance.  Opening any of the shudders will open ALL of the shudders.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1086