Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860250 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7485 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:08 am »

Where do you find the crafting book for plate armor

Both times I've found it were at libraries.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:08 am »

@girlinhant :there is a post on the cata dda general forum by someone with his buffed EQ. he used sewing. he has virtually no encumbrance at all. if you can go all the way to negative encumbrance its too overpowered. I think what you can already do with sewing is over powered. i cant remember the exact post, but there is a spoiler link  he has alot of armor on with virtually no encumbrance at all.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:44 am »

Also, you guys are still wearing like trenchcoats in summer?  I take advantage of the time to wear a bikini top and skirt.  Winter is when I throw on two layers of fur.

You mean you don't? Trenchcoats are awesome.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:21 am »

Zweihanders and shopping carts.  Don't need the storage, and don't need the protection because nothing survives a zweihander hit except brutes and hulks, who only take 2 hits.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:47 am »

That's one of the fun things about zombies, they tactically change so much, like "huge weapon with tons of reach, but really slow" is just fine, because you don't have to worry about them dodging, and conversely, regular swords are fairly pointless because they don't do enough damage.   Reminds me, do we have a scythe?... no, how terrible, need that...
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: October 08, 2013, 10:37:43 am »

Zweihanders and shopping carts.  Don't need the storage, and don't need the protection because nothing survives a zweihander hit except brutes and hulks, who only take 2 hits.

Are you. Trying. To tell me. That you are using a sword. And refuse. To wear. A trenchcoat?

HERESY!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:09 am »

Reminds me, do we have a scythe?... no, how terrible, need that...
Make it so that it gets more fruit/veggy if you use it on grown plants then if you tried picking it by hand! As well as being dangerous to zombies! It'd be the farming equal of a crowbar.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:48 am »

What's the minimum of wheels an RV requires to work?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: October 08, 2013, 10:59:08 am »

Though I haven't checked for myself I would think for an unmodified RV the number of absolutely neccesary wheels would be 3.  But it's really not so much about the number of wheels its about the location of them.

The vehicles center of mass needs to be between areas covered by wheels.  Motorcycles work with 2 wheels because the center of mass will always be between those 2 wheels.   Cars work with one blown tire because the center of mass still fits inside the triangle made by the 3 remaining wheels (just barely), I imagine RVs would too as long as the tires were blown in such a way to be a similar setup.

You could probably modify an RV to run on two wheels too, from what I understand of the system, if you took a whole lot of care to perfectly balance both sides and had the wheels in the center.  But there may be an extra rule for vehicles that extend far beyond their center of mass like that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: October 08, 2013, 11:17:19 am »

Considering the timing, it's likely that you're hitting a bug that cropped up with a recent vehicle construction rework that made it not recognise wheels sometimes.  That should be fixed as of... *checks github* 6 hours ago.
Also, "enough" wheels isn't just a matter of numbers, the center of mass for the vehicle needs to be inside the bounding box created by the wheels, so you could have 10 wheels on just the front of the vehicle, but if you don't have any in the back it wouldn't be valid, which I think is what's happening with the RV since the wheels in the back are "underbody" wheels and not getting recognised.

This is kind of a bug, but the minimum needed for any vehicle is 3.  It doesn't take into account whether the number of wheels you have would be *capable* of supporting the vehicle.  I believe not having a large enough amount of wheel surface area compared to engine power/vehicle weight can make a vehicle practically undriveable though.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: October 08, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »

That worked great for me... until I met the turret.

On the bright side, my new character is going great. Found a compound bow and a gun store, disassembled a lawn mower to make a makeshift machete that should hold me until I can find or forge a battle ready sword. Took down a hulk with a molotov and a glock (would figure I run into a hulk the ONE time I leave the shotgun at home). Just need a little more mechanical skill before I can start constructing a mobile base and start wandering.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »

...disassembled a lawn mower to make a makeshift machete...

Early game Cata, in one sentence.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: October 08, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »

Optimal accuracy requires:
Firearms 9
Specific skill (pisol, rifle, etc) 8
Dex 12
Per 12
No arm or eye encumbrance.
At that point the only sources of inaccuracy are the gun, ammo, and recoil.

With those stats and a really accurate gun and ammo, (one of the hunting rifles for example), you should be headshotting things at the edge of visibility.  I'm not going to claim it's optimal, at best it's "reasonable".

I can't even tell if this is right anymore, made another character with 4 STR, DEX, PER and 20 INT, Debug'd him to 12 in all skills and he is getting headshots with M4A1 rifles at mid-range (20-30 tiles), then with a TDI Vector he is hitting regularly at max range where random gen guy before with ~8/9 DEX and PER and 40 all stats was missing, and this guy can do it with burst fire as well.... can't test weakling with bows though because of the 4 STR xD

No encumbrance on arms or eyes in either case. Btw is dispersion working correctly with ammo? I loaded up M4A1 and it said it had 0 dispersion even though ammo is supposed to have 5 or something so it should say 5+0 = 5 right? It just says 0. Same for Vector , should say 12+7 = 19 but it just says 7.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »

I think an equally good summary of early game Cata could be "I trying to get to sleep on a rock floor while eating raw pickle and wearing shredded cargo pants and trenchcoat, both of which I got from a zombie I killed with a rock. FML."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »

I think an equally good summary of early game Cata could be "I trying to get to sleep on a rock floor while eating raw pickle and wearing shredded cargo pants and trenchcoat, both of which I got from a zombie I killed with a rock. FML."
#nottiredenough
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1086