Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860269 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7470 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:54 am »

That's the part I've been objecting to. If you meant that they were ambushed by subprime creatures, this should be cleared out. Right now, it implies that a military patrol was overwhelmed by fungaloids.

A military patrol.

A solitary military patrol of unspecified size, awareness, competence, and equipment, across an entire nation died to fungaloids.

Admittedly it is a bit misleading, but this "military patrol" could have been two grunts on foot. I don't see how this is so unbelievable.

*Edit*

It even just says overwhelmed, not even killed. They could have just ran out of ammo and been forced to abandon the area for all we know.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:32:28 am by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »

That's the part I've been objecting to. If you meant that they were ambushed by subprime creatures, this should be cleared out. Right now, it implies that a military patrol was overwhelmed by fungaloids.
Day 0:[...] Creatures from the surviving portals, those expanded or missed by the bombs, begin venturing forth and slaughtering those they find.
That's what occurred on Day 0.

The fungaloid thing occurs on Day 2 - by then, according to the timeline, the New England area has already been declared a non-priority and most troops and equipment have begun moving elsewhere. So things are basically over even before the first fungaloids appear. It's perfectly possible a military patrol not expecting them could have been overwhelmed by fungaloids. Sure, they aren't tough individually, but they can form huge swarms and are constantly pushing guaranteed death into the air - I'd guess the military patrol retreated to a defense structure, were surrounded, and eventually succumbed when the fungus started sprouting from their own body. Having an enemy emit a substance that WILL kill you if it touches any exposed skin makes for a pretty hard enemy to fight.

Forgetting for the moment that the in-game stuff is kind of borked here, since it only works mechanically through inhalation, but the description given when it happens is that it burrows into your skin. This is part of why we are doing the rewrite, hah, some of the things fungaloids are supposed to be doing, code-wise, don't actually work right or are not implemented well, and they only spawn in limited areas and can't overtake towns like they are supposed to. And the lore given is much closer to a description of where we are actually likely to end up rather than exactly as things appear in the game right now. And the fungaloids are going to be getting significantly tougher in some ways.

But still, I'm not sure if you've ever encountered an actual fungaloid swarm in-game, but they spawn significantly faster than you can kill them in many situations.

It still isn't why the military as a whole itself was overrun - this was a single patrol overwhelmed AFTER almost everyone else had been killed or pulled out of New England.

Day 0 is when most people were killed - and it wouldn't be until Day 1 that the military was likely to have noticed that the regions they "cleared" of zombies on Day 0 were now chock full of them again, since the damage caused by bullets simply doesn't stick. The point of the lore was that every single day had new challenges, sometimes several over the course of a day -

Day 0 was nethercreatures, followed by zombies, followed death rain.
Day 1 is huge numbers of zombies including all the ones previously killed, followed by the botch-up with the security bots, and the management of the evacuation camps. Corpse piles turn into Jabberwocks in the middle of the camps. Note that despite all this the military still controls many areas at this point and probably has them fairly secure - for how terrible the stuff is, they probably mostly have a handle on it within their own areas at this point, barring the occasional surprise wiping out a squad operating outside of the military controlled areas. But there are a limited number of military personnel, and they can't be everywhere, and information is still hard to come by about what exactly is happening where.
Day 2, the military is pulled out. Pretty much everything outside military controlled areas in New England is a lost cause, and it's decided they can be put to better use defending places in the rest of the US where things aren't so bad. (We're adding maps that will a lot more examples of abandoned military controlled areas). In addition to the pullout, this is the day when Giant Insects, Graboids, Fungaloids and Triffids all begin to make their presence known. Flying enemies, enemies that strike from underground, enemies that make more of themselves while spewing death clouds into the air, and enemies that can blend in perfectly among the shadows of the forest make for a pretty hostile environment. Is it really so hard to believe that a few military patrols would fall to each of these?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:14:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: October 07, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »

Also I assume random military patrols don't know you need significant respiratory protection to avoid fungal infection, and high-volume firing with assault rifles is bound to attract a lot of attention... I could easily see a patrol being overwhelmed on the basis of not knowing how to handle these unusual enemies.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: October 07, 2013, 12:26:08 pm »

So is the assumption that the player has been lying low in the bunker for a few days?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: October 07, 2013, 12:52:37 pm »

Or has otherwise gotten very lucky.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: October 07, 2013, 12:58:10 pm »

Cool, I didn't know the lore on Jabberwocks.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: October 07, 2013, 05:49:58 pm »

Battery mod is found in a book, you have to get the recipe.
Does it require more than 5 electronics skill?
My current character has the battery mod recipe with 3 electronics skill.  I got almost all of that skill level from the Transistors book.
If the recipe comes from the Transistors book then I guess it's glitched, because I still get the "This book has more recipes, but you don't have the skill to learn them yet." message from it at 5 electronics.

Kind of annoying because the battery mod is seriously useful.

Edit: Figured it out. Apparently I needed to get to level 3 in fabrication as well before I could actually learn it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:44:12 pm by DeKaFu »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: October 07, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »

Got killed by a turret in a lab. The first time I explored a lab, it was freezing cold and I was bundled in multiple layers of reinforced armor. The second time, it was summer and I had very little armor. Tried to rush the turret with a sword. Bad idea.

Now I know.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »

Remember children, never stab inexplicably exploding military equipment with broadswords.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:27 pm »

It worked so well the first dozen or so times. I swear, summer is the most dangerous season in this game. You want to be all bundled up, walking around without enough clothing to survive in the north pole is dangerous.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:34 pm »

Kevlar vest is only 20 warmth. Light survivor suit is 50, heavy survivor suit is only 40 (shouldn't that be reversed?)

I was running around through the summer with a trenchcoat (also 20 warmth) as well as an army jacket (40 warmth) that I forgot about and nothing bad happened other then a minor -14 or so mood penalty for being too hot.

So really, summer is not THAT bad.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: October 07, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »

More than anything else that makes me miss negative encumbrance, when all you needed was a skirt, sneakers, a utility vest, and a baseball bat. Just keep running forever, living off the land.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: October 08, 2013, 12:56:03 am »

Maybe they should bring it back, but only allow it to apply to special stuff. Like a version of the Crysis nanosuit almost. Not a whole ton of protection, but gives you negative encumbrance and/or minor stat boosts. Like power armor, but buffs instead of good armor. For those characters that prefer light and fast to tanks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: October 08, 2013, 07:57:59 am »

I believe very particular clothing should provide negative encumberance.  Namely under armor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This stuff is MADE for athletic activity, to help the body retain warmth and supportive compression.

Also, you guys are still wearing like trenchcoats in summer?  I take advantage of the time to wear a bikini top and skirt.  Winter is when I throw on two layers of fur.

Where do you find the crafting book for plate armor, and is the wiki still accurate?  It claims that full feudal plate mail only gives 95% coverage, and I think if ANYTHING were going to give 100% it'd be this.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:17 am »

High-performance underlayers certainly should have *some* effect, but I don't think negative encumbrance is the right way to do that.  Instead it'd have whatever that special effect is applied directly.

Plate was bumped to 100% coverage at some point yea, though depending on what we're talking about it should probably be more like 95% - 99%, because you DO rely on under-layers like chain and gambeson for backup protection.  I'm not too concerned with that though, GyphGryph had some nice ideas written up on where to go with armor and coverage, and rather than trying to refine the rough system we have now, would prefer to go to that.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1086