Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866994 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6735 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:25 pm »

Bullet press and the bullet extractor can both be found in gunshops, hardware stores, as a drop from a zombie, pawn shops and I think houses and electronics stores.  They shouldnt be too hard to find if you are moving about and doing alot of killing.

IMO its better to have 12 guns stashed in the truck to fire off any type of ammo than it is to bugger about with reloading.

Oh trust me, I have a vehicle trunk full of guns and a several hundred rounds of ammo at this point (and still using the bolt thrower...). I just wanted to get the reloading kit as a checklist finisher before I settled on which guns I want to mod. I had hoped to do it without room-to-room searching of every house, because at this point I can take on anything up to a brute with just a nail bat, and that gets tedious.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6736 on: September 25, 2013, 09:31:00 pm »

What can train Mechanics to level 1 ?

On the last library (the 2 other ones accidentally ... burned) of my now cleared town, i found a Mechanic training book but sadly it requires you to already have a few levels there.

My goal would be to remove a board from a nearby destroyed car then add it to my working vehicle, as i sleep in it but annoyingly there's a board lacking from a part of it and those damned spiders spawning can still come in and attack while i'm resting .
But after getting the required tools in a store in town, unfortunately i noticed it requires 2 in Mechanic to be able to remove any vehicle parts.

Also, weren't you guys just talking about how crowbaring doors trains mechanics?

They just aren't as stylish as gas masks though. Nothing says apocalypse like a gas mask, trench coat, and army boots.

I've been to 5 gun stores and had no luck with a bullet press. Is there any other semi-reliable location? I'd try army outposts but... lolol my whole area doesn't have any that I can find.
Steel-toe boots are now better than combat boots.

Filter masks only cover the mouth, so your eyes are still exposed.  I usually wear welding goggles.
The encumbrance! D:

at this point I can take on anything up to a brute with just a nail bat, and that gets tedious.
You can do that but you only have a nail bat?

I am tempted to make a double-post to bump.

Question:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:56:07 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6737 on: September 25, 2013, 10:56:55 pm »

I am trying to make a vehicle with this configuration:

___
+++
+#+
+++
|#|
|+|
HHH
HHH

However, it seems one can't build adjacent to doors? That's...darn.

Alright, question: if a trunk is damaged, are there any adverse effects for it's contents? Trunks can be armor-plated yes?

--Interesting, trunks can, floor trunks can't. But floor trunks do full damage & have 400 durability, while trunks do 80% & have 300.
How does plating 'give extra protection', exactly?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:04:20 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: September 25, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »

Unless something has changed, you can't build directly off doors. You have to go around. Same with wheels. You need a firm chassis to anchor everything.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6739 on: September 25, 2013, 11:05:13 pm »

Unless something has changed, you can't build directly off doors. You have to go around. Same with wheels. You need a firm chassis to anchor everything.

But one can build a wheel underneath something? (I've seen this on RVs, they have ~4 under-wheels)
Also I edited the last msg.

Note to self: This car is going to look hideous.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:07:38 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: September 25, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »

The under-wheel is actually counted as a frame, structurally.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6741 on: September 25, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »

Sooo, can the player use it?
Does it share the same durability?
Learned something: one doesn't have to keep frames connected to the 'home' frame- just to another frame. So one can remove frame & replace it with doors so long as the other stuff is supported.

Oh derp, just remembered cataclysm has forums. I'll move over there now.

So, fold-able bikes have invisible wheels in the default tileset.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:36:41 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:41 am »

Update on my tileset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's in a playable state, but I've stolen 90% of the item sprites from Hoder's set.
Also I've fully embraced the black outlines and have applied them to every creature, item, and other things that have contrast issues.
I'll probably start posting it on the other forum tomorrow.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:52 am »

The black borders seem okay to me, all the former tilesets haven't had enough contrast for my eyes. I'd take a swing at this, for sure.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »

Head down to Key West, Florida, and ask around for a seafood restaraunt that sells a "spider burger", it's a whole soft-shell crab on a hamburger bun with complementary condiments.  This thing gave me nightmares for years after I accidentally ordered one (when I was... 8?) thinking it was just a funny-named cheeseburger, but when it arrived it had *LEGS* sticking out of it.

And yea, I'm not sure the vehicle crafting system will catch you out if you remove frames strategically to leave parts disconnected, it'll still count as a continuous vehicle.  This is a FEATURE.

Yes please to more tilesets, AFAIK none of the active devs are art-y enough to make a decent tileset, we'd love to add more choices.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: September 26, 2013, 02:28:50 pm »

Noticed an odd possible bug. I got myself a ruger 10/22 to train up my rifles and stuck a brass catcher and bayonet on it, to expedite dealing with those pesky smokers.... but.

Every single time I melee attacked with my bayonet the thing was yanked out of my hands. Every time. Without fail. At first I just thought it was bad luck/lowish skill. But I tested it against normal zombies, against dogs, against wolves. And the thing was ripped out of my hands after every attack. It was good I kept my old knife-spear on me just in case. And that weapon has NEVER been ripped out of my hands even after 3 days of use. But that rifle with a bayonet must have been GREASED or something because every melee attack sent it flying to the ground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: September 26, 2013, 02:46:45 pm »

I've noticed similar issues.  For me, it was when my martial artist got a broadsword and then a flamebrand.  It left my hands after every single attack.  In a recent blade build, I also started dropping my zweihander after 1 attack, but only when all my stats had been dropped to naught by pain and poison.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: September 26, 2013, 03:00:40 pm »

I think I know what's happening there, cutting weapons have attack types that determine their stuck-in chance, if they have NO category they are treated as "improvised stabbing weapons", which has the worst chance of getting stuck, it should be in the "spear" category, which is significantly less likely to get stuck...
Oh, this is an even bigger bug than I thought, there's a boolean operator bug that's preventing gunmod flags from getting applied to their guns.  Thanks a lot for reporting!

Not sure what's causing similar issues with a broadsword, though that's the class of weapon most prone to sticking.  Something might have upset the balance of sticking.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: September 26, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »

Found something kind of funny. Spawned in the middle of a town, surrounded by zombies. Made a break for the nearest forest, followed by a spitter and a bunch of normal zombies. The spitter spits at me, burning my legs a little, and half the zombies are dissolved by his spit. He then follows me into a forest, I manage to kill him in a bottle neck, and the giant pool of acid left by his corpse dissolves the other half. Wouldn't exactly be my first choice to clear a large number of zombies, but probably took out a dozen or so between the acid and the bushes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:23:15 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: September 26, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »

Found something kind of funny. Spawned in the middle of a town, surrounded by zombies. Made a break for the nearest forest, followed by a spitter and a bunch of normal zombies. The spitter spits at me, missing entirely, and half the zombies are dissolved by his spit. He then follows me into a forest, I manage to kill him in a bottle neck, and the giant pool of acid left by his corpse dissolves the other half. Wouldn't exactly be my first choice to clear a large number of zombies, but probably took out a dozen or so between the acid and the bushes.

Spitters are my favourite zombies for that precise reason. Double points for when the spit misses you, so you're standing right in the untouched square of a pool of acid melting all other zombies away. Shockers are a distant seconds because hey, free bionics!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1086