Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866999 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6720 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:36 pm »

Lockpicking works. I think the entry level mechanics book is Under the Hood.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:21 pm »

Thanks, i got a lockpick from a house, will have to train with it.
I want to say you can make filter masks?
It looks like you can :
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Filter_mask

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »

I want to say you can make filter masks?
I just discovered that while hiding from the spiders, actually. I was ecstatic, seeing that my current character's name is UristMc[impolite suggestion for smokers to procreate with themselves]. Not with so many characters, of course.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: September 25, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »

Filter masks are actually fucking amazing items.  They block smoke from smokers and cooking fires, as well as making you immune to the flu and colds.  You can repair and reinforce them with a soldering iron and plastic chunks - use a knife to cut up bottles and bags.  As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to take it off is to put on a chitinous or great helm.  Due to covering the head, mouth, and eyes, these armor items actually prevent smoke inhalation.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: September 25, 2013, 07:18:06 pm »

They just aren't as stylish as gas masks though. Nothing says apocalypse like a gas mask, trench coat, and army boots.

I've been to 5 gun stores and had no luck with a bullet press. Is there any other semi-reliable location? I'd try army outposts but... lolol my whole area doesn't have any that I can find.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:53 pm »

Speaking of spiders, any advice for killing them on a budget? I'm holed up in my 'safe'house, with a jumping spider to the west and a wolf spider to the east. I've got one \ of health for my torso, but everything else on me's dandy.

Are they currently hostile?  You may be able to slip away to the north or the south if not.

Assuming them are too close for comfort or certainly after you, consider smashing up some lockers or benches.  Scrap metal, pipes, and such, these can be thrown.  So can your pocket knife, but save that for now.  If you are safe enough for the moment (it seems really rare that animals break windows, and remember you can close a closed window to pull the shutters closed or something - blocks line of sight and seems to make the windows less likely to be attacked) and have some focus and time, start throwing stuff right next to your feet.  Get level 2-3 in throwing if you can.  No matter what, wait long enough for pain to cease to be an issue, and make sure you are not overweight or otherwise encumbered.

Lets say the spiders are still east and west, but close to the walls, and lets say west is slightly to the north (guess based on sounds), so we decide to kill west first. Open one window between the southwest corner and south door but, leave the other closed and shuttered, then open the south door and head west.  Hug the side of the building, peek around.  If you have room, step around and throw a few things.  When the spider is 4-5 tiles away, retreat and go in through the door, closing it behind you.  Approach your open southwest window - the spider should be just approaching it.  If it's not stuck on the edge yet, throw an item or two more.  Once it enters, melee it with your best weapon.  Assuming you made a crowbar when you could, you can probably 1-2 hit it, which you should have time for safely.  If you were able to hit it at all with throwing first, your even safer now.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: September 25, 2013, 07:21:12 pm »

They just aren't as stylish as gas masks though. Nothing says apocalypse like a gas mask, trench coat, and army boots.

I've been to 5 gun stores and had no luck with a bullet press. Is there any other semi-reliable location? I'd try army outposts but... lolol my whole area doesn't have any that I can find.
You forgot the messenger/duffel bag and the army helm.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:38 pm »

I like filter masks because they do look kinda apocalyptic while showing off your character's face. Okay, you can't see it in the game, but if your game was ever adapted into a movie the actor playing your character would get their mug shown whereas in the case of a gasmask they'd have to take it off for emotional scenes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: September 25, 2013, 07:24:49 pm »

Or else have one with the big plastic panels.

Wont filtermasks still make you unable to see from teargas?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: September 25, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »

I'll remember that for next time, but a completely different spider caught/killed me. How unfortunate.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:49 pm »

I like filter masks because they do look kinda apocalyptic while showing off your character's face. Okay, you can't see it in the game, but if your game was ever adapted into a movie the actor playing your character would get their mug shown whereas in the case of a gasmask they'd have to take it off for emotional scenes.
I like to draw my character.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: September 25, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »

Pity man. Classic mode has no spiders. It has instead more bears.
Highly Opinionated Fool

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: September 25, 2013, 08:58:17 pm »

Bullet press and the bullet extractor can both be found in gunshops, hardware stores, as a drop from a zombie, pawn shops and I think houses and electronics stores.  They shouldnt be too hard to find if you are moving about and doing alot of killing.

IMO its better to have 12 guns stashed in the truck to fire off any type of ammo than it is to bugger about with reloading.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »

Bullet press and the bullet extractor can both be found in gunshops, hardware stores, as a drop from a zombie, pawn shops and I think houses and electronics stores.  They shouldnt be too hard to find if you are moving about and doing alot of killing.

IMO its better to have 12 guns stashed in the truck to fire off any type of ammo than it is to bugger about with reloading.
They're also fairly common in public works toolsheds IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:47 pm »

Wont filtermasks still make you unable to see from teargas?
Filter masks only cover the mouth, so your eyes are still exposed.  I usually wear welding goggles.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1086