Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861804 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4485 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:13 am »

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with the font rendering in C:DDA these days? I'm seeing it in pretty much every screenshot I come across.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: July 14, 2013, 12:19:03 am »

Why are solar panels so useless? It took me forever to assemble this monstrosity of an eco-friendly SUV:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ~9 hard platings this baby rocks are the most grinding I've ever done in any roguelike. It sports 2 large electric motors. Design is totally shut down by me not getting a single sunny day in autumn. I wish panels actually generated energy on clear days.

Does anyone have any idea what the K dynamics and mass statistics do and what the formulas actually are? Is there a way to view the actual energy amounts instead of percentages?
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: July 14, 2013, 12:56:58 am »

Apparently the current version is bugged, if the vehicle's starting tile is covered, then it counts all solar panels are covered, so roofs can get confusing.

Does anyone know the volume of liquids?  Particularly, what's the 'size' of gasoline - I know it multiplies.  A Steel Jerrycan can fit 50 units of water, but gas is stored in thousands.  However, if we assume similar rates, we can get some interesting maths.

Steel Jerrycan is described as 25L and holds 50 units of water (Plastic Jerrycan holds 20).
1 water = 500mL
1 installed water tank on a vehicle = 400 units of water
400 water = 200L
200L = ~52 gallons
A 50 gallon aquarium looks about like this:
A Toyota Camry (average American city car) has ~17 gallon tank.

If we were smart, we could determine the size of a tile.  Since vehicle travel in mph, you just figure the number of tiles after an hour of 10mph and you've pretty much got the size.  I wonder what sort of mpg our various vehicles are managing, and how efficient are electric cars in the future?

My WARBUS is fitted out for 14 tanks (~728 gallons).

Grey_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: July 14, 2013, 01:01:09 am »

Girl, that Warbus. That Warbus, Oh. My. God. Things like that -really- make me wish I could survive more than one day in Cata, unfortunately, it's just far too brutal for me.
Those sea serpents you sold me, they won't mate. They just swim around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer sea serpents. I want my money back.

Urist McFreud, Chief Psychotherapist Dwarf, has much to say regarding this statement.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: July 14, 2013, 01:11:17 am »

I ran into a school.  After rounding out my book collection by raiding it's well stocked library I realized that the expenditure of arrows and the handling of the bodies was going to take a long time.  Also very good chance of getting over run.

So I decided to handle the problem another way.

Grabbed the American flag as I walked away, going to sleep with that from now on.  Seeing as it's considered clothing.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4490 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:21 am »

So I found out what kills an OP archer with infinite first aid. Skele breaking your arm. It did not kill me, in fact I probably did not have to die but I got blocked in a hallway while trying to search a hospital for the bone fixey thing and at that point both my legs where also broken and I had over 700 pain so I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn so I suicided because I could not go anywhere.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: July 14, 2013, 01:21:28 am »

Girl, that Warbus. That Warbus, Oh. My. God. Things like that -really- make me wish I could survive more than one day in Cata, unfortunately, it's just far too brutal for me.
It's only about 1/3 done so far.  It still has no roof and only part of the very front is armored.  I need to mount some more doors/shutters, armor plate it, find decent engines, and finish installing the rest of the fuel tanks.  Then I'll probably see about mounting flamethrowers on the edges, though it's already difficult to get through a street that has vehicles clogging the way, making it 2 tiles wider may make navigation impossible.

And you can't just bash through a car completely.  Destroyed parts still collide with your vehicle and prevent you from simply driving THROUGH a parked car.

In other news, does anyone know how to drift on purpose?  I have some houses I'd like to get the nails from.  Between crafting batteries and coilguns, I think I'll be going through a lot of nails.

Suggestions?  Coil Rifle, and a rifle that fires 9mm without being a 1-load pip gun.  I was gifted about 750 9mm ammo from some turrets and want to properly use it!  Guess I'm looking for a decent submachine gun...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4492 on: July 14, 2013, 01:28:50 am »

Have you considered making a custom house wrecker? Basically just add frames sticking off the side of a random working car and using it to smash the house. I don't know how well it would work and I think I will try it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: July 14, 2013, 01:33:12 am »

Have you considered making a custom house wrecker? Basically just add frames sticking off the side of a random working car and using it to smash the house. I don't know how well it would work and I think I will try it.
It has to be a bit more sophisticated than that.  Weight and speed matter as much as impact area.  My WARBUS can clip buildings at 10mph and wreck the corners, but I've seen cars with a larger point of impact just slam into houses.  Sheer size seems to matter as much as anything else...

Also, check hardware stores.  If there's a "metal recycler" in outside the back, love it.  Anything that's in the 'metal scraps' chain of crafting can be changed to other forms.  I literally moved an entire disassembled car - steel plates, frames, and all - into a recycler and got dozens of steel lumps.  It makes crafting armor so much easier!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: July 14, 2013, 01:47:17 am »

I've never enjoyed driving large vehicles. A motorcycle with its saddle swapped for a seat (required for a seat belt) and some plating on the front can still wreck buildings and send cars flying at high speed, with the bonus of a comfortable travel speed of 200 mph and 10-12 mph/t acceleration. I can see the appeal of having a mobile base, but I find the speed to be much more fun. I think for a high strength melee character it works better than others, though, since it's easy to take on surrounding hordes even after being ejected into a concrete wall and crippled with pain. At high speeds like that I could see some of my less graceful landings as lethal to someone with less health.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: July 14, 2013, 01:48:59 am »

So yeah, wow. Stopped by a science lab while taking my solar scooter out looking for a gas station. I usually don't get uneasy about games but that managed to creep me out on par with some Bioshock moments, and it was all text. Well done.

In other news...

Spiked plating requires 8 scrap metal OR 4 spikes. ONE spike requires 9 scrap metal. eh, wtf?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4496 on: July 14, 2013, 02:00:24 am »

Is it possible to break spikes down into scrap metal? If so...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:57 am »

Is it possible to break spikes down into scrap metal? If so...
You can get spikes by breaking steak knives, and possibly other stuff like that.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: July 14, 2013, 03:26:00 am »

Lawnmowers, if you can find them.

Still, by the time you're needing a ton of spikes, scrap metal will be plentiful from smashing display racks or whatever. Just seems an odd oversight on conversion rates.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: July 14, 2013, 03:27:58 am »

Man, that cave was disappointing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1086