Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: MasterworkDF V.2a - Official Succession Fort.  (Read 20821 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: MasterworkDF V.2a - Official Succession Fort.
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »

No one gets to complain when I take a long time now.

Indeed, this has taken me too long.

News flash: In an attempt to defend the fortress somewhat better, and improve morale, a mithril javelin thrower was installed next to the staircase. The bone carver loading it promptly threw a tantrum whilst carrying around thirty javelins, and proceeded to throw them in all directions. A few individuals were hit, but they only received mild bruises, even unarmored. While, the fortress of Cavernousinch remains in a state of near total anarchy as summer draws on, some individuals have made the decision that the fortress has a sufficient supply of food and the high volume of fishing going on is unnecessary, and also that there is no need to forbid alcohol from use.

Situation as of 23rd Slate:

One of the Suturers went berserk in the dining room during a party and was robusted by the Vampire Mayor, who is now merely "very unhappy" rather than miserable. Any more berserk dwarves and she will probably have a full title. Zen the Health Butcher is in hospital. Which is to say all qualified medical personnel are now either dead, insane, or hospitalised. The Emergency Healthcare Act has made two of the Legendary Bone Carvers into all-around doctors. An order of buckets has also helped dwarves to get on top of the large hospitalised population.

Population is hanging around 72. Lots of dwarves are insane, however.

The sole sane miner has opened a cavern ceiling, so some hatches will be ordered to seal it off until the situation is more under control.

25th Slate: Migrants have arrived! That's the actual quote. Apparently despite the anarchy, nobody is afraid of the place yet. That, or nobody has heard of the anarchy yet.

Later that day a Potash Maker goes insane.

28th Slate: The migrant wave has ceased. We have a bunch of prototype speargolems (which promptly went to beat up the centaurs, getting themselves damaged on the way...) and a genie child. I'm going to look through the list of migrants and start dorfing; time to get the lore rolling and clean up this fortress.

Edit: Apparently the fortress does seasonal autosaves. Its now summer, I think? I'll have to finish up the lore tomorrow but I've dwarf'd myself as the vampire mayor, who went from miserable to happy to content after therapy. Apparently having good psychologists works. I think I should separate her from the rest of the fortress to prevent more insanity... Also the hammerer went insane, and there's a goblin ambush outside. I'll have to put up some pics.

Are people OK with extra characters being brought in, beyond those who asked to be dwarf'd? The fortress population shot up to 90 so there's plenty of choice.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:20:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2013, 04:18:53 pm »

I am alive?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »

Can i be dwarfed?  Weaponsmith if possible, anything is ok though.

Nice job recovering(?) from tantrum spiral. 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

Can i be dwarfed?  Weaponsmith if possible, anything is ok though.

Nice job recovering(?) from tantrum spiral.

I was actually going to make a backup save right when the migration wave. I have the suspicion that the file might get corrupted. This will also prevent me from getting more information from the moment of the disaster.

We have a young Genie locked underground in a safe place. When that grows up we'll want a nestbox.

I've dwarf'd myself as the vampire mayor, and Shade123, and need to reassign the hammerer.

I was going to work on some of the lore, and I'll post an update when I have that done, and have the fortress fully in control. I'll shut the vampire mayor (the one I'm dorf'd as) up in a room to prevent her getting any more bad thoughts from seeing dwarves fight (as vampires don't drink or eat or sleep, they don't get the "dined in a legendary dining room" thoughts, but she is the first choice for fighting berserkers. The hospital situation has cleaned up somewhat as a large number of medical dwarves have arrived.

What exactly do the overseer and psychologist do? Does the psychologist just meet with unhappy dwarves? What about the overseer? Something gave the mayor a huge boost from miserable to happy, but she's now down to content.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:57:27 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:52 pm »

I think that psych meets with unhappy dwarves, overseer is just for show.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »

I think that psych meets with unhappy dwarves, overseer is just for show.

I just checked. Psychologist both builds morale and meets workers, so that might explain the ridiculous gain in happiness. Overseer is technically myself at the moment, but I'm not going to bother with that.

After overloading Kerbal Space Program with mods and disliking the results, I went stark raving mad and got back to this. Here's the update and lore, in the style I started working on at Crafteddreams.

Quick poll: Do people want to use roman numerals in the logs, or stick with arabic numbers (i.e. normal numbers)? I'm currently using roman numerals for the year numbering here but not for the other numbers. If you prefer a different numerical system, or expand the use of alternate numerical systems in the logs, please state which system, but please make sure it can be put into the posts without resorting to image dumps.

Three years after the founding of Cavernousinch, the fortress had fallen into a state of anarchy. The disastrous battles with cultists and local wildlife bought the population to the point of rioting, insanity, and destruction. At the dawn of the new year, the population of 73 dwarves was slowly dropping, amid being forced to drink vomit, and a vampire was claiming the lives. A quick poll of alcohol consumption indicated that the mayor had neither been drinking alcohol nor any of its vile substitutes, and was not concerned in the slightest about her room. In other words, the mayor was the vampire. After the mayor was convicted of the deaths of three dwarves, a captain of the guard was appointed but quickly fell to insanity and rioting. All miners save Atis Bustedheads (Ablelser) went insane. The militia lay leaderless in the face of berserk dwarves and gnolls. To deal with the anarchy, the vampiric mayor Custithgeshud stepped up to fill in the position of militia commander, and ordered the fortress sealed off from the outside world until the situation came under better control, but frequenty flew out of control in the misery of The Anarchy. Eventually, the chief medical dwarf, "Zen" Furrypoisoned (Astrinus) the Health Butcher was landed in hospital on 12th Slate owing to injuries from violence. Despite the anarchy, however, some dwarves remained happy enough to perform their duties such as planting fields, harvesting crops, and making furniture from the stone. Displeased at the use of the flux stone marble in the furniture, Custithgeshud forbade the use of marble, and ordered the plugging of the plumbing system that was emptying the river through the dining hall into a chamber beneath. Hopes rose on the morning of the 25th of Slate of the year CXVI when migrants appeared on the horizon. Mayor Custithgeshud ordered the gates opened to admit their brethren, not knowing the ancient forces that were coming together. A fierce wind picked over the aboveground lands as the migrants made their way into the fortress, and the Mayor Custithgeshud fell to the ground in a fit...

Personal Journal of Lord Archmagion Shagrim Alucard "Passagefortress", Vampire Prince, Day Zero.
(25th Slate of the Year VXVI to the dwarven people)

The time has come for our kind to reclaim our heritage! I arrive once again in the mortal realm and been bequeathed a body… apparently, a female body of a fellow vampiric dwarf. I shalt not say more, however, as Fate hath also bequeathed me with a vast fortress and a vast populatio-

WHAT IN THE NAME OF ARMOK IS UP WITH THIS FORTRESS?

(A colossal inkblot can be found here)

The fortress of Cavernousinch, is in a state of total anarchy. Violence pervades the streets, and there are many insane dwarves out on the loose. The dining hall had a built-in waterfall as a result of some utterly incompetent plumbing, which had the fortune to be plugged in recently. The caverns are open, allowing the disgusting residence from below ground access into the fortress. As soon as the migration wave ended, I ordered the fortress sealed off from the outside and got to work. The rage at this travesty is constantly burning inside me.

Even Tomi75, the hammerer, is participating in the violence:

My first act has been to permit consumption any booze available in the stockpiles. Apparently, all remaining supplies were forbidden for reasons that may well remain unknown. The second order of business is to appoint some people to get this place in order. I am personally serving as the militia commander and mayor of the fortress. I've made "Shade123", one of my brethren, the broker and impromptu economist. I have appointed a preacher, a manager, a psychiatrist, an overseer, and a bookkeeper. The only other surviving administrators were Tomi75, the hammerer, and Zen, the Health Butcher, also in hospital. I have picked a number of medical staff to deal with the high volume of dwarves in hospital; the migration wave served us well with a bone Doctor, a surgeon, and a suturer. Two of the legendary bone carvers present in the fortress had been previously designated as doctors, and they will remain as such for the time being.

The migrants have brought with them a great number of interesting creatures and constructs, including a juvenile Genie and a Speargolem. The Speargolem was damaged after picking a fight with the local centaurs on its way to the fortress, but will otherwise serve well for defence. I ordered the genie moved into a closed room to prevent it from being injured.

Journal Entry, Day 32
(1st Hematite, Year CXVI)

It is now summer. Between my arrival in the fortress of Cavernousinch and the beginning of the month of Felsite, which covers late spring, a potashmaker went insane and two miners died from thirst. The first day of Felsite was marked by another death from thirst; two days later Tomi75 went melancholy, and the day after another crazy milker dehydrated.

Did I mention all of these deaths from dehydration occurred in the dining hall, in full view of everyone?

In order to allow dwarves to clean up items from outside, I ordered the gates dropped. These gates have a rather strange design where one lever opens both the outer and inner gate. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea and they're probably dead now anyway. If I get the chance to I will deal with this.

Fortunately, the hospital has access to many buckets so there is no longer a problem with bringing the dwarves in there water. Patient satisfaction is on the rise with the new doctors and Emergency Healthcare Act.

I've made a list of activity in the fortress during the month of Felsite.

5th Felsite: Ushrir Vodkulet the farmer dehydrated, and the Onul Gesithuzol, whom I had appointed Captain of the Guard, threw a tantrum whilst trying to store some items of his.

6th Felsite: Geshud Degeldakas the Gem Cutter was stricken by melancholy, and the captain of the guard threw another tantrum.

7th Felsite: Even the sole surviving miner, Atis Ablelser is engaging in random acts of violence, and given that he is carrying a pick I am somewhat concerned.

9th Felsite: I've ordered the second militia squad to stand down. I'm retiring to the dining hall for a party. I ordered a large quantity of barrels made to allow alcohol production to resume. I hope the carpenter can keep his temper under control long enough to get them done; I'm getting concerned about that shearer.

10th Felsite: More tantrums from the captain of the guard. A certain Apostle of Armok named "Shade" decided to start a fist fight instead of taking a bath.

11th Felsite: Today, the fisherdwarf Rovod Soshablel went berserk in the dining hall during the aforementioned party. At the very same time, the captain of the guard tried to start a fist fight but was interrupted by the berserk dwarf. It didn't take long for me to robust the fisherdwarf, but he entered a martial trance. I'm really, really displeased about these events; any more and I'm writing these entries in the blood of the perpetrators.

14th Felsite: I still haven't run out of blood to write these entries in. Today, Sigun Shiserib, a metalsmith died of thirst. For some reason, the carpenter is now throwing his barrels around instead of making them.

17th Felsite: Cavernousinch is in lockdown; a kitten was ambushed by goblin flagellants. The enemy arrive at an inconvenient time but I was able to seal off the fortress with no further casualties. Unfortunately, there is an open section of the fortress where goblins can pull faces at the inhabitants, scaring them off, despite being unable to get inside. This would be worse if they had brought archers with them. I've ordered another staircase to the reservoir room so dwarves will not have to go outside to access it.

We've had two deaths from insane dwarves who dehydrated themselves in the last two days; yesterday, Ingtak Nanirlokum, an administrator, and just before the goblin ambush today, Minkot Lisidmothram, a shearer. Shortly after the fortress was sealed, Shorast Shetbethgesith the Shearer went insane, followed by the farmer and Captain of the Guard Onul Gesithuzol in the middle of planting the fields. To finish off, I had to block a barrel full of intestines thrown at me by a mason. Looking at the reports coming in, everything from barrels of fish to +gneiss tables+ have been used as weapons.

Apparently, the reason why random objects such as barrels of booze have been marked as forbidden is the use of items launched in acts of violence, such as crossbow bolts, are forbidden to prevent dwarves running out into a warzone to pick them up. This extends to objects thrown by rioting dwarves.

19th Felsite: Today, Lor Dobarkel was hit by a flying barrel of intestines and killed. I'm off to see what I can do about it.

23rd Felsite: Later on the 19th, a farmer, Stodir Rerraslur, went berserk. What followed was an attempt to raise the militia whilst being chased around by the psychiastrist for a morale booster; after losing a kitten in the fighting the militia and an enraged prototype swordgolem finally cornered and dispatched the berserker in one of the open rooms near the all-purpose stockpiles. This took until Felsite 22nd to accomplish. Right afterwards, Ber Dodokrodim the Carpenter went insane, a rain of beer began over the lands to the east, and a siege operator named Sizir Thabumalil went berserk.

In the hospital.

I made it to the hospital door before being accosted by the psychiatrist - or the preacher, I don't know which, for a meeting. In the minutes that followed, a number of dwarves tried to get into the hospital and were scared off by the siege operator, before I formally fired the Preacher and went in to finish the job. Fortunately, the hunter survived and was in hospital anyway. I re-appointed the preacher afterwards.

To finish off the day, Fikod Kukonrigoth the fisherdwarf went insane.

24th Felsite: Some fish cleaner is complaining about dangerous terrain in one of the workshops. Additionally, a Gem Cutter has been unable to find someone to start a fist fight with and is complaining loudly about it. Some dwarves say the stray kitten last seen amid a goblin ambush has been missing for a week now, for obvious reasons.

The last few days have been marked by tantrums and another rain of beer but no other events.

I also discovered in conversation that "Zen" the Health Butcher has killed a few goblins in a place called Ardentprofanity.

An underground tunnel being made up to the well room has revealed a considerable quantity of soil deep down. I'm going to pick some new miners  8) and carve out some safer, more secure farming space and food storage.

Edit: Keep an eye on this log. I haven't finished copying everything over yet. I also discovered that "Zen" the Healthbutcher killed off three goblins in a fortress called "Ardentprofanity". I have nothing to add.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:36:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2013, 10:09:40 pm »

Is my apostle still alive? (Cant see any photos because of phone.)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:31 am »

DWARF ME: Fisherdwarf, male

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »

Dorf me again! Tomio176, Hammerer again, if possible.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »

Will do. When I find a suitable replacement

What name should I put you under?

Apostle? What exactly is this? Also you're a cook, and you're sane.

@Shade123: I've accidentally dorf'd you again when your previous incarnation was still alive. What should I do?

Will continue to update the previous log, so keep an eye on it.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »

Will do. When I find a suitable replacement

What name should I put you under?

Apostle? What exactly is this? Also you're a cook, and you're sane.

@Shade123: I've accidentally dorf'd you again when your previous incarnation was still alive. What should I do?

Will continue to update the previous log, so keep an eye on it.

Eum, "Bloodchild"

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:06 am »

It says in his description that he is an apostle of Armok and a Talented priest. Good to see he's still alive after so long and being one of the founding seven. Are any of the other founders still alive?

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »

Am I still alive? Or did the rot finally claim me.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »

Am I still alive? Or did the rot finally claim me.

You went insane; I didn't actually see any rot, though.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2013, 04:22:55 pm »

I'll write a report when further significant progress has happened. In the meantime however, I'm getting a continuous crash bug on WINE, usually when putting in requests at the mason's shop.

How do you get rid of the workflow orders completely?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10