Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44779 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2014, 05:47:24 pm »

I dearly, dearly hope Frumple is right.

Oceania was never at war with Eurasia. Oceania was always at war with Eastasia. Oceania was never at war with Eurasia. Oceania was always at war with Eastasia. Oceania was never at war with Eurasia. Oceania was always at war with Eastasia. Oceania was never at war with Eurasia. Oceania was always at war with Eastasia.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »

Unlikely to see another great war, but (at least for the U.S.) war has become an ever-present simmering in the background of society.  The U.S. has been one-sidedly terrorizing some populace somewhere my entire adult life, and I don't expect that to change.

I really like to see the kind of discussion that's on this page.  Our generation doesn't talk enough about how much we've been fucked over by our predecessors.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »

I really like to see the kind of discussion that's on this page.  Our generation doesn't talk enough about how much we've been fucked over by our predecessors.

Seriously?

Seriously???

Go to any OWS rally, any major news media article comments section, any young liberal's Facebook page, or head on over to http://www.reddit.com/r/lostgeneration.

Fucked over by previous generations I can understand, but not talking about it a lot in general is quite untrue.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:38 pm »

Eh, outside of a few niche areas, not really. I only ever see that kinda thing on the internet, usually when I seek it out.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE, or COPY.

I started typing some things, and then erased it. I make hardened therapists cry when I tell them about my self and my past, and I don't want that here. Some things I'll say. Others I won't.

I feel the entire social contract has been shred and defiled.

Even those parts of my life I'll reluctantly share are so god damn nuts, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't live it. I started out with schools thinking I had a "mild case of mental retardation." They sent a letter about my bullshit "condition" to my mom in elementary school. I got straight As except an F in spelling, but I never said a god damn thing to anyone. Between the beatings at school and the beatings at home, and everything else, I was trying not to be noticed. They told me to shut up and that I'd never get past algebra I, and the first math question they gave me in 9th grade was 5+2 = __. They were convinced I did not know it was 7.... I completed every single math class they offered in high school except AP calc due to a scheduling conflict for a total of 7 full math courses in high school.

I then earned a double major honors degree from one of the best private colleges in the Midwest. I astonished professors, because of the sheer amount and quality of work I would do. I won competitive research scholarships, beating out tons of applicants who wanted the cash prizes towards their tuition. I had leadership roles on campus and stood up to unethical practices at my own detriment. I performed statistical analysis for the university at minimum wage, because they didn't wanna hire anybody to do it. I sat outside the hallways of night classes to hear what was being said and was once invited inside by the prof. I took 18 credit hours every semester for a total of 144 credit hours and I nearly earned three majors instead of two. I was told somebody who worked as hard at economics and psych as I did would always have a place.

I mistakenly went to law school after they bold faced lied to me about what lawyers would do and make. Everything went straight to hell. NEVER EVER go to law school. I did the worst cases that nobody else wanted as a clerk and later as a lawyer, and I made an embarrassingly low amount of money. They weren't hiring in law when I graduated; they were firing. Large firms that had stood for 100 years went bankrupt. Full partners at large firms got fired, and I didn't know a partner could be fired....

The sheer corruption was horrifying, across the counties I practiced in. One thing I've learned about corrupt people is they will ruin your life if you expose them. Even if they pay for it in the end, they will make you regret it. Commissioners, auditors, a few judges, tons of other people, all corrupt as hell and it was a scary and huge thing. Funny thing about being a lawyer is, you can't say a judge is a worthless piece of corrupt shit without absolutely airtight proof and even then it's risky and you might get disbarred just for SAYING anything. They threatened me with this. They tried to frame me for crimes I didn't commit. They threatened to kill me, and my family. I moved my family out of county. In the end, a few people got put under investigation and a few, including a judge, got indicted on felony public corruption charges. I walked away without a charge against me. That said, I was unofficially blackballed for a while there, and it ruined my business. It cost me a ton and I couldn't afford it. Nobody gives a shit either. The corruption was so bad, that I couldn't do my job. This is the abridged version, and I'm still not comfortable getting any of it into print, because some of these people are still being tried on ongoing related charges. The whole damn thing may very well have poisoned the well for my career for a while.

Now I'm looking for any work outside of law, or if anything in law, then a completely honest one.... It is exhausting. My parents are dumbfounded and look at me like I must be on drugs to not be successful like this. Somebody with my degrees etc should be employed and beating away job offers left and right. I'm having trouble getting a warehouse manager or similar role. It's insane. I feel like the rug got yanked out from under me, because it did. I do not live well.

I went from being told I had proved everybody wrong and that I was the cream of the crop, to an annoyance, who is too expensive even at an embarrassingly low rate through the state.... I expended an incalculable amount of energy, and I did everything right while being told it was wrong. In the end, a lot of people went to jail or got brought up on charges, but even though I walked away, I got screwed too.

I am surprisingly young and rather than being treated like a prodigy, I'm treated like a moron. I have to be a total asshole about things to be taken even slightly seriously. Even then, I'm seen as more "uppity." I've had judges ignore the hell out of me and I had to win on appeal, solely because I'm young.... I looked things up, I did the research. I talked to the right people (visited in jail etc) and it didn't mean shit, because the right answer was "wrong." It wasn't what people wanted to hear, and the best part was, everybody wanted to hear something different, so it was impossible.

That doesn't even touch the GLBT stuff and how I saw my state pass an unconstitutional law against gays, and then when that law was struck down, they changed the constitution.

I'm broken fucking hearted about it all, and so much more I will probably never ever tell you. It seems with some notable exceptions, many old lawyers I have met have been a god damn crook and a half and screwed over everybody including me. I just don't care anymore and it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I used to be overly polite to everybody, and now.... Now I just don't say shit most of the time, and most of them know not to say shit to me, because I'm wired for sound and recording everything they say after the last round of total bullshit tried to frame me for a crime I didn't commit and that ended up getting a judge charged with 6 felony counts of public corruption and 6 misd counts. I'm no longer above getting in somebody's face and staring a hole right through their forehead, because I just don't give a flying fuck anymore. I was actually sort of viewed as a tattle tail for turning people in, even though I had a duty to do so, and they were screwing me over with 0 provocation. Saying "Fuck each and every last one of you individually and collectively. I want nothing to do with you. Enjoy prison." Does not make you popular. Somehow, it's almost as if they blame me that people went to jail over shit they did but certainly should not have.... The word "tattletale" comes to mind....

I do not like who I have become. I do not like my prospects. I do not like being called lazy, when I am the hardest working person I know. I have given everything. I have received nothing and am told I have to pay for it besides....

I would like to scream, but find this unhelpful. The difference engine of my mind is cautioned against creating solutions by stupid, fat, lazy, entitled, whiny people who are not worth the powder it would take the blow them to hell, but just barely. Many of these people are old, and stupid and had the nerve to call me worthless.... They know not to talk where my microphones can pick anything up now. I am pissed. I enter a room to ghostly silence, like a plague carrier. Truth is a disease among the corrupt. I have given them the courtesy they would not give me--I have told them I am not their friend, because they refused to treat me with basic human dignity. I do what I do, making sure things are done right, now out of pure spite, and they hate me for it all the more. I am unhappy, unpopular, and hated, because I subscribed to the delusion that the legal field should follow laws.

Exit please.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:30:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:24 pm »

Goddamn, Truean. That is...a thing. I don't know what else to say about it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »

Wow. More and more, I'm beginning to feel like we really need to just start over, and make our own damn society, cause the existing one is just broken.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2014, 10:45:22 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:52:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #308 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:36 pm »

This isn't giving up, it's merely a different approach to solving the problem. And we needn't restrict ourselves to only one approach. The two might even synergize: "Reform, or be replaced."

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2014, 12:45:56 am »

Imagine what my parents will say when I tell them that I want to be a quarter as much of a hardass as some transsexual I met on the internet is. That'll throw 'em for a loop, I reckon.

Truean, you are an amazing role model. Speaking as a rather conservative christian male, I hope one day you have like six children and make them into an army of badasses. This will be the formation for the new Camelot, the political dynasty based solely around Truean and his/her (sorry m8 i'm unaware) children.

I reckon the world could use a few more Trueans, and I don't think anyone will disagree.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:06 am »

Vec, why didn't you do a master? In Germany the bachelor/master system has been introduced quite recently (the last few under the old system are still studying) and it is the general consensus that you can't do squat with only a bachelor's.
I study mathematics myself - your answer would be of quite immediate interest to me!

Does anyone have information on the European societies and popular attitudes before WWI? Our age increasingly reminds me of fin de siecle - a sort of uneasy slumber, ready to break loose in a violent eruption...
Who here thinks we (those who now are between 15 and 35) will see another great war in our lifetime?
1) Bachelors are increasingly becoming worth little more than a glorified GED.  And the high school diploma is becoming rather weak too.  If you want a specialized job you need the masters or better.

2) Not while I am young enough to serve in it.  That an be read as 30 years.  I agree on the thinly veiled violence, but it be a completely different war.  I rather see separate landgrabbing 'influence expanding'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:10 am »

Ah yeah, being born in 1983, I'd probably consider myself among the millenials.

I realize that the job market is tough, but it's even tougher when you barely have job experience and THERE ARE NO TRUE ENTRY LEVEL JOBS! On top of that, even bottom rung stuff expect you to have experience, but you're supposed to get experience in those jobs, plus the ones I'm looking at pretty much expect you to have a bachelors, but I only have an aa in liberal arts social something something.

Of course though, being hard of hearing and visually impaired doesn't help things either.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:13:59 am by smjjames »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:19 am »

Ah yeah, being born in 1983, I'd probably consider myself among the millenials.

I realize that the job market is tough, but it's even tougher when you barely have job experience and THERE ARE NO TRUE ENTRY LEVEL JOBS! On top of that, even bottom rung stuff expect you to have experience, but you're supposed to get experience in those jobs, plus the ones I'm looking at pretty much expect you to have a bachelors, but I only have an aa in liberal arts social something something.
References, volunteer work, internships.  Also good interpersonal skills doesn't hurt.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2014, 04:06:23 pm »

Just be glad you aren't me, I've literally NEVER had a job.

Which isn't to say I haven't done work, of course, but my resume is almost non-existent.  Post-graduation life has a lot of potential to not be fun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2014, 04:24:38 pm »

PTW.

We don't need a new society, we just need to kick the old, angry, corrupt out. And they're well on their way to doing that themselves; the baby boomers are all getting old and they won't be sticking around for long.

This nation will be ours in a decade at least. I think Barrack is the first president to be not a baby boomer (or raised and groomed by one) in a while and he's doing what he can to fix the situation for the upcoming generation. We're in a generational jump here, and it's starting to push the boomers out.

This nation will be ours soon, and we can then fix it and make it work better for the poor and make sure the rich are doing their part as citizens of this nation to help out.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33