Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44765 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2013, 07:25:23 pm »

Will we be any better then our forebears?

No, but we'll sure blame them for everything.  :-\

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »

I DON'T WANT BEAR CHILDREN!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

Can't believe I never thought to post this song earlier.

Music is used in retrospect to define every modern period.  Anyone have more they feel could serve that purpose?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:55 pm »

That was the best retort to the "something to hide" bullshit I've ever seen.  Exactly the opposition that was stirring in my head but would never come out as such.  Thanks for sharing.

If I have nothing to lose by letting them watch me, can I use surveillance on the cops, the DHS, or the NSA? But if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to lose!
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2013, 04:42:48 pm »

That was the best retort to the "something to hide" bullshit I've ever seen.  Exactly the opposition that was stirring in my head but would never come out as such.  Thanks for sharing.

If I have nothing to lose by letting them watch me, can I use surveillance on the cops, the DHS, or the NSA?
You can, but they'll complain louder than you and probably end up in the news sounding the opposite of what you want.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

I can't believe I've read this overly depressive thread. It's can't be all that bad. Vote for free education or sumthing? Either TV lying to me or you, I suppose  >:(
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2013, 06:47:37 am »

Incidentally, what was the reaction in your country when the indian tsunami hit? It was a little before my time, or at least when i began paying enough attention to the news to know much of the details. You'd think it would be mentioned more in the years since.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Skold

• Bay Watcher
  • Halaster has nothing on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:15 am »

Honestly, I don't remember much about an Indian tsunami. What I do know however is that there are way too many people in my generation that think the disabled are a burden on taxpayers. Seriously, in the past few weeks I've had to educate a few college-aged cashiers about how it is hell living on less than $900 a month.

I would work if I could but unfortunately at this time it is not feasible for me to try such a thing. In fact it may never be feasible considering that what I have to deal with is somewhat permanent. Regardless of the circumstances though I just hope that when Generation Y is in power that I don't end up as Soylent Potato or something else of the sort, because I seriously think that a lot of the people my age would love to throw people like me under the bus. Generation Y hates the disabled from what I've seen, and that's worrisome.
I was known as dei before. Chances are that isn't a good thing.

Just as a warning, I have Asperger's Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Between the lack of a sense of humor, the eccentricities, bizarre obsessions and the swiss cheese-like memory, talking to me should be interesting.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:45 am »

In England and likely Britain at least, Generation Y seems to take a actual stance of sympathy for the disabled, but as usual find calling someone a retard or spastic too good to pass up. Then again, this is an liberal country. What worries me, and I'll say it again, is if they'll ever care about how ridiculously well off they are in the west compared to the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:29:57 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Skold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:47 am »

In England and likely Britain at least, Generation Y seems to take a actual stance of sympathy for the disabled, but as usual find calling someone a retard or spastic too good to pass up. Then again, this is an liberal country. What worries me, and I'll say it again, is if they'll ever care about how ridiculously well off they are in the west compared to the rest of the world.
Well, the United States of America tends to stigmatize anything that pertains to above-the-neck problems, which include things like Asperger's Syndrome and mental illness in general. I myself have Asperger's, Tourettes, PTSD and a few other things and I'm lucky if when I mention it that I don't get told I'm a burden on taxpayers or looked at like I'm some creepy child molester with rapists for eyes. Or at the very least I'm lucky if that doesn't happen when I'm interacting with members of Generation Y, as the older population in general is a lot more sympathetic than my peers and is more likely to take the time to explain things and provide assistance and not judge me for being a potato. This stigmatism that I have to deal with is part of the reason why I'm reluctant to talk to people that happen to be my age.

Just as a warning, I have Asperger's Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Between the lack of a sense of humor, the eccentricities, bizarre obsessions and the swiss cheese-like memory, talking to me should be interesting.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2013, 10:37:31 am »

Are you sure this isn't your local area or state? As i understand it there seems to be a lot of variation, and America isn't known for it's well-rounded sanity in the first place. I will agree on otracisation being fairly common.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:59:53 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Skold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2013, 12:21:13 pm »

Are you sure this isn't area or state? As i understand it there seems to be a lot of variation, and America isn't known for it's well-rounded sanity in the first place. I will agree on otracisation being fairly common.
All I'm really sure of right now is that I don't really remember posting in this thread, and that sort of problem with parts of the body that are above the neck like the memory loss I deal with thanks to my PTSD is what tends to get stigmatized a lot here where I live.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »

Saying people in the US are prejudiced towards those with mental issues is like saying Christians of a certain era were prejudiced against gay people.  Prejudice is too weak a word; to hate someone, you need to acknowledge that they exist.

I mean, those sodomists are just sinners, right?  And anyone who's physically capable and can't hold down a job is just a lazy conman.  Anything can be overcome with enough hard work.  I mean, sure, no one expects you to walk through sheer force of will if you're missing a leg, but that's a REAL problem.

Are you sure this isn't your local area or state?

Yes... sort of.  Some places are better, most everywhere is bad.  Its kind of how like in the pre-civil war era there were some people who were against slavery, but the country as a whole was undeniably racist.  Not that the treatment of those with "above the neck" problems (as Skold put it) is nearly as bad as slavery was, but that's not saying much.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

I realized that i hadn't given enough thought to the variation in other developed countries outside Europe. I'd like to hear about that from someone in a rapidly industrializing country, but as you Americans are readily available, that's a start. In some states i get the impression generation differences are much less pronounced then they are here. I know some of you are in a position to know, and I'm all ears.
Reading a thinner book

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33