Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44762 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2013, 05:36:43 pm »

On the whole disability stigma conversation:
As a 15-year-old with quite visible Tourette's, in West Virginia:
I haven't experienced that at all.
There are many people in the world (and in the country) who show quite an amount of prejudice. But I wouldn't corral an entire country into that definition, even if it is in many places common.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »

N-N-N-NECRO!!!

I just had to post this here...  It's sad how true this is.  I've even argued this shit with my own parents, using hard data, and failed to make an impression.  And they're generally very intelligent people...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:06 pm »

Baby boomers are collectively Satan, yes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 10, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »

Baby boomers are collectively Satan, yes.
+ALL OF MY VOTES
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2014, 11:48:23 am »

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/

Baby Boomers - "Millennials are so lazy and entitled.  These are people who received awards just for participating in anything as a kid!  Never expected to earn a damn thing, never learned how to live within their means, and spoiled by all this fancy technology making their lives so easy!

Hey... why aren't you kids buying houses and cars these days?  I don't get it!"

Millennials - "Oh, sorry if it inconveniences your prospects at breaking corporate profit records for the 30th year in a row, but I don't really want to apply for big purchase loans when I already took on 3x the student loan debt you did just to have a chance at participating in a job market where less than half of us are able to find stable work at above a minimum wage that hasn't increased in real terms since before we were born.  Don't worry.  You can just pull some political favors to steal those numbers from my kid's public education funds and call it economic recovery, right?

Don't understand our values, eh?  I know... it's such a mystery we're turning out this way.  I mean, your values did so right by us, didn't they?"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2014, 11:20:29 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:53:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:01 am »

I once heard a good response to "everyone gets a trophy". The idea that this makes people entitled and uncaring as to their efforts relies upon the assumption that they are utterly ignorant of context and see their reward as equal to everybody else's. If this is not the case, which it of course is, then it is likely to instead make them disdainful of reward structures for being obvious bullshit and leave them with a pervasive and anxious sense that they are unable to accomplish anything in life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:03 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:53:08 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2014, 12:30:10 am »

I think I'm a Millenial? I dunno.

I'm 20 years old, almost 21, Male, Also White-Enough (I probably wouldn't have been 40-50 years ago, but whatevs), Straight, Alternating between optimistic and hopeful, and angry and distrustful of the world. I finished high school, barely, but haven't done much in college. I'm too distrustful of school to really participate in the ways that I need to make anything of it - I tend to find school a disturbing experience, and escape from it as much as I can, I.E. I show up to class and then spend the entire time staring at the wall, or reading a book. I've done a lot of reading, though. I have managed to teach myself some programming, though how good I am at it is questionable. I've worked one job, at a grocery store paying minimum wage, for about 3-4 months? Something like that. I've never done any kind of drugs, unless you count reading as a drug, in which case I'm a junkie. I've also never learned to drive - There's nowhere I really want to go, and on the rare occasion there is I'd rather take the bus or even just walk/bike.

I still live with my parents, though I'm considering getting a job in tech help and maybe getting an apartment with some friends, thinking that a change of environment might benefit me. I've had a number of various projects, none of which I've finished to any meaningful degree, for whatever reason. You can find a couple of them in my signature. I really should be able to just sit down and make something, but I can't seem to pull myself together enough to do so. I'm divided between wanting to change the world for the better, and wanting to sit back and just watch it burn, with a significant dose of all consuming apathy.

I've never had any kind of meaningful romantic relationship, being too nervous and distrustful to really approach people, and too socially inept to accomplish much when I do. I'd like to change that, but as I said - I'm my own worst enemy.

Most of my friends are in similar situations - having barely finished high school, they subsist on low end jobs. Barely any of them are making much attempt at further education. About half of them are in some kind of relationship.

We all come from a relatively small town middle class background. I don't think any of us have had much experience with crime or gangs, and fairly innocuous experiences with drugs. Most of us are preoccupied with games and other such distractions. Honestly when I was younger I never much thought about the future, I was more interested in escaping the world. All things considered, though, I can't really say I'm surprised by how things're turning out. I wish they were better, but I'm not surprised.

And yeah, I'd say the social compact s definitely broken.  We don't trust our society, and we don't expect to rely on it. I doubt many of us will have children, though we're a little young to make such predictions with certainty.

Also- I don't know what all this nonsense about "everyone gets a trophy" is based on, but it looks like bullshit to me.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2014, 01:44:46 am »

Can you work as a teacher with a BA? Not much chance of finding a teaching job in a city, but out in the boondocks they tend to be short on teachers. And the cost of living is significantly lower there.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:27 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:53:04 pm by Vector »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:44 am »

Can you work as a teacher with a BA? Not much chance of finding a teaching job in a city, but out in the boondocks they tend to be short on teachers. And the cost of living is significantly lower there.
Assuming you have a teachers certificate that should qualify you to teach in most middle schools or high schools in many states IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:41 am »

Can't remember what I posted in here originally, but since then i've still got/kept the job I had for over 2 years including moving to a different (better) role on site, with associated pay rise meaning i'm on about 70% more money then I started with at the expense of being away from home for 2 weeks out of 3 and working many more hours (after all there's nothing better to do out here anyway). Missing out on 2 weekends out of 3 is certainly putting a drain on me socially, meaning I miss out on doing things with friends and meeting new people in general. Not to mention i've still not been in a relationship of any sort, but I do seem to be getting along with people in general better and making more friends, so yay.
My other two good friends have also got jobs in engineering companies, and one is actually about to start a 3 year PHD job in Europe, as his girlfriend is from there and is moving back. All in all we're doing pretty well, even the supercharged housing market here in Australia isn't looking that scary to me anymore...
Magma is overrated.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »

Vec, why didn't you do a master? In Germany the bachelor/master system has been introduced quite recently (the last few under the old system are still studying) and it is the general consensus that you can't do squat with only a bachelor's.
I study mathematics myself - your answer would be of quite immediate interest to me!

Does anyone have information on the European societies and popular attitudes before WWI? Our age increasingly reminds me of fin de siecle - a sort of uneasy slumber, ready to break loose in a violent eruption...
Who here thinks we (those who now are between 15 and 35) will see another great war in our lifetime?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:08 pm »

Personally fairly strongly doubt we'll see another great war, period, unless something odd happens in the whole natural disaster arena. Our means of conflict have changed, and technology shifts seem to have rendered that sort of conventional warfare obsolete -- no one who'd be able to field that kind of force have either the interest or need to. Economic and cultural warfare achieve goals much more effectively, in general, and smaller scale violent conflict and proxy wars manage much of what they don't. Beyond that, most of the major players and up-and-comers can't really afford that sort of conflict -- it is, broadly speaking, economic and political suicide. Cheers, globalization.

Shit's definitely uneasy, but I'd expect significant civil wars or insurrections considerably sooner than a great war, and call the former pretty unlikely to begin with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33