Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24172 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »

And with kilakan's future pledge we have 10% together.

WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS GUYS!

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:14 am »

Its appearance must fall within the 'theme' of the game.

I’ve seen this both on the $100 and $1,000 pledge level.  Given you’re doing a fantasy MMORPG with magic, what level of technology are you stopping at?  You’ve mentioned traps and piracy on your Kickstarter page so will you be including gunpowder and cannons or stopping short of those items?  Is there anything your team is ruling out?

On the custom race pledge, what system do you have in place for race balancing?  Certain races and creatures come with natural abilities, like spiders with webbing and scorpions with venomous stingers.  Will natural abilities be balanced out with decreased stats or limits on items/magic?  You’ve also mentioned a tiered system for race unlocks on your site but I forgot where.  As new races are added will they be worked into that tiered system? 

Will your magic system also include spells with charm/mind control elements that one could use to affect a player’s hirelings or allied/neutral creatures?  Turning an enemy’s invested influence against them with magic would be an interesting way of countering influence pooling, potentially turning outmatched battles into more manageable skirmishes.

If we get ships and piracy, we'll have cannons. We have some plans for steamwork type things, so something along those lines.

On races, obviously we'll balance the races but make them awesome and unique at the same time. We can't have a race that destroys the world, but as you've seen with Slimes, we can get pretty creative. Monsters and monster abilities don't really have "stats" per se, so that's not an issue. Races, depending on the power scale and utility in the game world, will be tiered in somewhere.

On mind control - yes. We have plans to go that route. It should be interesting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2012, 04:01:37 am »

Monsters don't really need balancing so to speak since not only do monsters have a cost... One possible balance to them could simply be "Success reduction"

So if you are a dragon and you only eat a few people... you are a failure.

While if you did that as a vicious knee kicking Gnome obviously you are one of the greatest gnomes in history and deserve to be sung about in legend.

On mind control - yes. We have plans to go that route. It should be interesting

Good since some of your monsters (the Illithids) would be kinda lackluster without some sort of mental ability.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »

The kickstarter seems to be slowing down...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:18 pm »

Eh, not really.  I mean, it went up 2K today.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:56 am »

I was just wondering, will all the races/monsters be in the game on beta opening? If so do you plan on adding more monsters/races into the game later on to increase diversity?    Personally I'd really like to see a large selection after awhile just to open up more interesting dynamics, like multi-racial humanoid monster towns with orcs, goblins, dark elves, ogres, naga, and more all taking up solace within the walls to protect against perhapes the 'good-guy humans'.  Also ow much are you planning on expanding the 'sub-race' idea?  Would humans get perhaps even multiple subraces like wild-men with bonus to combat but detriments to any higher magic or crafting, maybe some type of corrupted human that would maybe get along better with some evil races but generally would be outed from normal human civs for thier increased skill in the 'illegal' skills?

No. All of the races will not be available at launch. We WILL be implementing them as we can, as soon as we can. We want to give you guys the tools to do what you want ASAP.

As for sub-races, I'm not sure humans will have them. There will be various kinds of afflictions and transformations, however. A human might become a lich or something.

The kickstarter seems to be slowing down...

We're up to 13.4k, which is awesome! I'm sure as we release more sandboxes displaying the potential and capabilities of the engine, we'll earn more community support. Also consider that our Greenlight stats are absolutely obscene, and that in itself garners attention.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:45 am »

Also, you gotta remember that most kickstarters get most of their pledges at the beginning and end of the campaign, barring some crazy piece of media exposure. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:01 pm »

By the way I pledged 25$.  Add me to the guild thing.  Lets see if we can make this work!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »

We'll have a guild registration page up soon, guys. Then you can all band together for Justice.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:05 am »

If you're smart enough to make the ultimate mmo, then why did you start your kickstarter at the end of the year, wer you're going to get taxed twice for the money you may raise?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2012, 12:23:36 am »

If you're smart enough to make the ultimate mmo, then why did you start your kickstarter at the end of the year, wer you're going to get taxed twice for the money you may raise?
They're smart enough to make a kick-ass game, that don't mean they've got all this shit planned out.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:50 am »

They're smart enough to make a kick-ass game, that don't mean they've got all this shit planned out.
Shouldnt the lack of fiscal foresight with just taxes be a red flag toward giving them monies?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2012, 12:27:56 am »

Shouldnt the lack of fiscal foresight with just taxes be a red flag toward giving them monies?
I guess.  I'd rather have an expensive game that is really fun than a discount game I don't really play.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2012, 12:30:57 am »

I guess.  I'd rather have an expensive game that is really fun than a discount game I don't really play.
MMO are expensive to operate, even if they are shifting the almost the entire burden onto the player community, if they're selling you a more expensive game because they cant get their accounting correct then their eventually going to fail anyway.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2012, 12:36:22 am »

Well, alright then.  I guess trying to get your game endorsed around Christmastime is an awful harbinger, huh?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26