Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58191 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:40 pm »

Halfway through Dune.  While entertaining in a way, it is exactly the kind of fantasy I don't quite get into.  That and I think the dinner party scene was 'out of this world'.  Good enough, but not going to reread it any time soon.
Whatever you do, don't read any of the other Dune novels. Even if you loved Herbert's original work, just don't. Except the long-past prequel trilogy, maybe. They weren't as bad, if only because of their massive distance from the source material. Sort of like how Matt Ward would be more tolerable if all the fluff he wrote was set in M6 or something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:39 am »

bizzare then?  Like alternative history book bizzare or Alice in Wonderland bizzare?  Alice in Wonderland is extremely bizzare, esp for its timeperiod.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #332 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:46 pm »

Just picked up Seven Emus, an Australian novel I grabbed at a secondhand shop, and read straight through it in three hours. I didn't read it all in one sitting because it was good - I did it so I wouldn't have to think about coming home to read more of this crap tomorrow. The introduction promises insight into the struggles of the Aborigines and plenty of humor to go with it. What I found instead was page after page of obnoxiously blatant racism (and no humor to speak of). I kept reminding myself that the book is 50 years old and written by an old white guy who genuinely believed in his understanding of the "blackfellows" and their misguided, uncivilized ways, but it didn't help much. Worse was the pacing, plot, and writing itself. It was difficult to read because nothing was happening. There is absolutely no story for the first 50 pages, and nothing interesting happens for about 25 pages after that. The bulk of the actual plot takes place within the last 30 pages, and even that is longer than it needed to be. The whole tale could have been told (and more effectively) in about ten pages written by any undergraduate student of creative writing.

The introduction to the book compares the author to Mark Twain and calls the novel "one of the most refreshingly original pieces of English prose to come out of any country within recent years." I'd describe it more as an example of how wrong things can go when the myth of the White Man's Burden (to civilize and educate the primitives of the world and protect them from themselves) is employed in the writing of fiction.

Spoiler: Completed So Far (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2013, 05:03:00 pm »

Halfway through Dune.  While entertaining in a way, it is exactly the kind of fantasy I don't quite get into.  That and I think the dinner party scene was 'out of this world'.  Good enough, but not going to reread it any time soon.
Whatever you do, don't read any of the other Dune novels. Even if you loved Herbert's original work, just don't. Except the long-past prequel trilogy, maybe. They weren't as bad, if only because of their massive distance from the source material. Sort of like how Matt Ward would be more tolerable if all the fluff he wrote was set in M6 or something.
Just to clarify, are you saying all of the Brian Herbert stuff, or anything past the book Dune itself? Because I'd have to quibble hard on that last one. Dune Messiah is essentially an epilogue to Dune, and Children of Dune is straight-up awesome.

God-Emperor is the one that tends to be either a love it or hate it, because it's very little action and a shitload of philosophy and dialogue and people plotting within plots but Leto knows their plots and is plotting a Xanatos Gambit to counterplot their plots to plot the plot plot.

Heretics and Chapterhouse were kinda weak for being as massive as they are, but I still enjoyed them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2013, 05:10:20 pm »

My wallet absolutely hates this thread. Just ordered 50 euros worth of books.
I really need to find some place to get books for cheap >.<

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:01 pm »

Library? Secondhand shop? Any of those available to you? I don't buy new books 'cause they're too expensive.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »

I just really like having books, preferable new ones, so it's mostly my fault I am spending so much money.

I can lend a lot of books from my brother though. He has a lot of classic literature, and also a lot of (also classic) Russian literature, so I can get most of the 52 books for free I suppose.

Actually, I think I can get my parents to order some books for me, since we kinda completely forgot the whole gift thing at Christmas. Yay for late Christ,as presents.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »

<_< How terrible is it that I don't even think that's much money to spend on books...

I prefer new books too, but I generally don't buy fiction or biographical stuff new, because you can usually get very good quality used copies for cheap. Unless it's something I plan on reading over and over, or feel like I'd particularly enjoy, I don't really see the point of getting a new copy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »

<_< How terrible is it that I don't even think that's much money to spend on books...

I prefer new books too, but I generally don't buy fiction or biographical stuff new, because you can usually get very good quality used copies for cheap. Unless it's something I plan on reading over and over, or feel like I'd particularly enjoy, I don't really see the point of getting a new copy.

How many books do you have? I have about 750. It's an extensive and expensive collection.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »

No clue. Couple hundred at least, but I lost all my books in a fire about four years ago. Actually almost lost it all again in a fire about a month ago. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the house other than the siding, and I was at home this time so I could have saved all the most important ones.

I don't even want to imagine how much money I've spent on it, an embarrassing amount no doubt, because I own not a few $50+ books...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:51 pm »

No clue. Couple hundred at least, but I lost all my books in a fire about four years ago. Actually almost lost it all again in a fire about a month ago. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the house other than the siding, and I was at home this time so I could have saved all the most important ones.

I don't even want to imagine how much money I've spent on it, an embarrassing amount no doubt, because I own not a few $50+ books...

It's even worse when your specialty of choice is linguistics. Such curiosities as A Grammar of Boumaa Fijian or The Dravidian Languages will run you $30-$40 used, if you're lucky.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

Hehe. That is in fact my specialty of choice (or rather, was), although I focus more on English grammar than foreign. Wait til you get to collections of papers, at that point you're basically obligated to use a university library. One collection I was looking for ran no less than $300.

I think that's true of any field though. For example, several books I've been looking at on medieval textile go for about $40 and up. Academic books are expensive, which is continually disappointing because those are the best books.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:33 pm »

Just finished my first book of the year, about 20 days later than I would've liked that to happen, The Octopus.  Really good, I was surprised.  Also a surprisingly positive final note, though the meat of the ending is a horrendous punch in the gut.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2013, 06:13:46 am »

It's even worse when your specialty of choice is linguistics. Such curiosities as A Grammar of Boumaa Fijian or The Dravidian Languages will run you $30-$40 used, if you're lucky.

You clearly never read historical books. Those regularly cost 120+ euros.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »

Finished my 2nd book of the year, Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. Reading this book reminded me why he is my favorite science fiction author, the climax of the book is simply amazing and it is probably one of my favorite endings

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50