Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58176 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:21 am »

And book 5, When Darkness Falls, by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory is finished at 602 pages!

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 1993
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2013, 12:54:51 am »

Finished 4 books so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Number 5's gonna take a while, though. It's the final book of the Wheel of Time, about 900 pages. Also got the Harry Potter set on my phone to get through.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:15 am »

Number 5's gonna take a while, though. It's the final book of the Wheel of Time, about 900 pages.
I still need to get my hands on a copy of that, though it's been so long that I'm probably going to need to re-read the other 13 before I can read it to remember who everyone is (plus it's alway fun to re-read a series). :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #318 on: January 19, 2013, 08:39:15 am »

Yeah, I'll likely reread the series at some point this year. Probably during the summer.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:37 pm »

Ah, thanks for reminding me that I still need to get a copy of A Memory of Light.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32:11 pm »

Except book ten.

I might do this for, say, 26 books. Possibly. I'm thinking A Memory of Light, reread Watership Down, some translation of The Epic of Gilgamesh, and some 23 other books.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »

I tried really hard to read The Brothers Karamazov once. I spent months forcing myself to slog through the pages, most of which I had to read more than once because by the end of a paragraph I had no idea what I had read. Maybe it was just the translation, but it was denser and more difficult to read than a law textbook. After two chapters (and about three months) I finally threw in the towel, though I was disappointed because I had heard it was a really good book.

By way of comparison, I first read The Lord of the Rings in its entirety when I was 10 and it only took me about 2 months.

I tried to read it too, I got somewhere around the part where the traveling monk met the crazy hermit monk, and gave up.  It wasn't /hard/ per se, but it also wasn't very interesting.

Also, I found a goldmine.  The half price books near my house has an obscure/out of print rack with some seriously rad stuff.  "Spock, Messiah" is the only name I remember out of hand but it had a lot of old military trade paperbacks, dime novels really, stuff with a muscular dude and a swooning lady on the front.  Bet I could find some Gor books there.   All of them three dollars each.  I am gonna read the shit out of them
Shoes...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:52 pm »

Ahaha. I hope Spock, Messiah is exactly what it sounds like. Now if only it was some kind of New Age self-help book.

--Week of Jan. 13th

A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin [6.5/10]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »

Just finished Leviathan Wakes, a fantastic hard science space opera cyberpunk film noir. It's my favorite kind of science fiction- it shows you a future world without distracting you with absurd star-trek techno-babble. For one thing, there isn't artificial gravity.

George RailRoad Martin apparently liked it, and I can see why.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »

I just accidentally read for 2 hours straight, after an hour earlier today. Got through about 325 pages just today. Damn you, Neil Gaiman.

Current List:
Junky (William S. Burroughs) - 256 pages
Sourcery (Terry Pratchett) - 270 pages
The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm (Nancy Farmer) - 310 pages
American Gods - Author's Preferred Text (Neil Gaiman) - 650 pages

According to the introduction, this text is 12,000 words longer than the originally published version. I never read the original but I can't imagine sacrificing a single sentence from this book. I'm glad this is the edition I got. When I'm not an hour and a half overdue for bed (oh god I have to get up so early tomorrow) I will have more to say on this marvelous book. For now, just... if you haven't read it, go read it already.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2013, 06:15:10 pm »

Stephen Hero
James Joyce
20/1/13

Quite good. Put briefly, if you enjoyed A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, you will most likely find this to your taste as well, given its nature.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2013, 10:49:30 am »

Finished A Rakvere novel yesterday which is historical fiction. But the historical background here is very strong and most of the characters are from history, so it is hard to tell where the fiction begins and the history ends. I quite liked the book, but a friend of mine thought it was awful.

Spoiler: 3/52 (click to show/hide)

Next up, The Good Firm by Armin Kõomägi, another Estonian author.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:59:54 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2013, 11:15:03 am »

Haven't been posting much because I've drastically cut back on internet time. Not quite as far ahead on books as I'd hoped but a decent start I think.
Spoiler: First eight (click to show/hide)
I'll put up an updated reading list and maybe a few reviews later in the week. I'm starting the October Daye (TVTropes warning because the other wiki doesn't have an entry) series next, maybe with a break for Blue Remembered Earth or The Hydrogen Sonata depending on how into the genre I can get. Never really read urban fantasy, but I know and trust the author so... here we go.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »

Just finished Hell by Robert Olen Butler. Another re-read and I had read about half of it before the new year, but I wanted to finish it anyway and I think with all the non-book things I've been reading (including stories on here and various articles and such) I can include it guilt-free.

Spoiler: Currently Finished (click to show/hide)

I stumbled upon Hell in a secondhand bookshop on a sidestreet of Prague. It's not exactly a "great work of literature," but it is original and funny and entertaining and I enjoyed reading it a second time. There is a lot of attempted philosophy, much of which seemed to me to fail, but some of it was pretty good. I think it would have been better off without some of the contemporary pop culture references, but again, there's nothing really "bad" there, just some parts were great and some were so-so. Overall, a good light read with plenty of laughs and cheap shots at various cultural icons, and the occasional passage that makes you think twice about something you've always taken for granted.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »

Halfway through Dune.  While entertaining in a way, it is exactly the kind of fantasy I don't quite get into.  That and I think the dinner party scene was 'out of this world'.  Good enough, but not going to reread it any time soon.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50