Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58161 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2013, 06:49:24 pm »

Just read Mammoth by Stephen Baxter. Weird book. It had a lot of pooping and quite horror-filled scenes of mutilated mammoth-faces. Need to locate the sequels though.

Also trying to read some crime books, John Grisham etc. Apparently he's 'easy reading' but I've been trying to read "The Summons" and after 3 chapters I just fall asleep at how boring it is. Basically a dude with a judge for a father flies around in a plane and whines about how his wife went off with a rich balding dude. I thought it'd be more... crime-y.

Spoiler:  6/100 (click to show/hide)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

Just finished the first book: Mort by Terry Pratchett. Being good book, I gotta say it was the worst translation (to Finnish) of a book I've read in a while. Way too many spelling errors that could have been easily fixed, among other things.

Spoiler: Books read - 1/52 (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:09 pm »

First one down. Little bit of irregularity because I started in on something that I was already a couple chapters in to (from... weeks ago, I'unno. The tab was open for a while), but I breached 100k words reading the remainder and hit the end of current material so I'm counting it as a notch, heh. No telling how much of what I'll be reading isn't entirely complete, but... yeah. I'm just kinda' counting anything over 100k (well, technically 40k but I rarely go that low, so...) words that's part of a coherent piece. Limiting to fully completed works is... limiting :P And considering I ate through ~120k words in about, uh. Four-five hours. I think I'll be making up any slack, in terms of quantity. Hohoho. Anyway, I'm revising my goal to 52 works and 5.2 million words, just in case one or the other isn't fulfilled by its partner goal.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:11:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:28 pm »

Wait, so we're counting internet stories for this? Here I was, thinking this would be hard.

Spoiler: 1/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2013, 11:34:34 pm »

Yeah, we had a bit of sussing out about fanfiction and non-commerical works (digital or otherwise) earlier in the thread. Long story short, >40k is mostly A-OK. Not so sure about incomplete, but... eh. Considering there's a number of incomplete trilogies and junk commercially published/recognized by literature that would have the earlier portions counted, so long as the general length and cohesiveness is there, I'm not personally filtering stuff beyond word count and single-story-ish-ness.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2013, 12:06:14 am »

I was mostly of the opinion that, if 50 Shades of Grey could count, Shinji and Warhammer 40K damn well could too.  :P

About 1/3 through three different novels, alternating around as different moods strike me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:17 am »

• Poké Wars: The Subsistence
    118,768 words
    Decent concept and interesting actions scenes, but the typos are fairly obvious even if you're not looking for them.

Pokémon fanfiction, huh? I guess I shouldn't judge. I've found readable Twilight fanfic on occasion. You heard me.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:16 am »

Pokémon fanfiction, huh? I guess I shouldn't judge. I've found readable Twilight fanfic on occasion. You heard me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:09 am »

118,768 words
    Decent concept and interesting actions scenes, but the typos are fairly obvious even if you're not looking for them.

Is it good or bad that my mind interpreted that as Twilight Sparkle fanfiction?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:11 am »

Inning this, listing and stuff.

Spoiler: 2 (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2013, 12:01:12 pm »

118,768 words

There's actually more than a couple pretty darn good pokemon fics. Stuff's been around for a while and a lot of people have mucked with it, it was bound to produce something readable eventually. Mind you, there's also more than a lot of utter crap (though probably within the normal signal/noise ratio of literature) and some stuff that's rather impressively depraved, but, well. There's some really rather solid pokemon fics out there. It's a much better conceptual base than sparkling vampires.

Though now I'm reminded of the one that only mentioned the main character's gender precisely twice in the first, like, three hundred thousand words of the fic, and never mentions (so far as I got, I got distracted and went on to read something else before I finished it) the character's name. I actually thought th'person was the opposite gender for better than half the work, 'cause I missed the first mention of it and the second didn't come in until past the halfway mark. It was pretty alright insofar as content was concerned, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »

Factotum finished. Very good, but something of an abrupt ending, and certain characters basically vanished when I thought I'd be seeing them again :(

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco [4.1.2013]
I love that book. To me it is the example of historical fiction. Sure the characters leave something to be desired, but the discussions they have, and the descriptions Eco gives of the monastery, are fantastic, as well are his uses of historical personages and his ability to write them truly. I also found the Prologue very amusing because it really does an excellent job of establishing the manuscript as plausible. I came to Eco through semiotics, but I play on reading Foucault's Pendulum this year.

--Week of Jan. 1st

Mediaeval Feudalism by Carl Stephenson [7.5/10]

Not as far as I'd have liked. I was hoping to have finished my second book by today, but I'm only about three quarters through it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »

Well, one finished. The endless descriptions of battles wore on me a bit. Far more interesting were the sections where the author basically interviewed people he met while traveling. Almost like a medieval travelogue.

Books:

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:24 pm »

Every popular IP should honestly have enough good writers to at least have a handful of amazing fanfic. It's just Sturgeons law and all that.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50