Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58147 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »

In the case of Twilight you've probably got a pretty great chance of finding fanfics that are superior to the original.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »

John Grisham - Theodore Boone

Took all of my patience to get through this rubbish. Sentences are clunky, dialogue voice is all the same, and he witters on the most boring tangents. The plot went nowhere. It was a yawn from start to finish. Woo, 13 year old hotshot lawyer kid. Crap. Apparently Grisham is a bestselling novelist with 20+ books under his belt... but I don't think I can stomach another page really.

Spoiler:  7/100 (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2013, 11:03:35 pm »

And book three is down for me, putting me up to 1009 pages!
Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Probably gonna take a short break now, most of my library is at my house (right now I'm at my parents') so I've mostly exhausted my reading supplies here. Maybe I'll throw in one of the Redwall books over the next couple of days.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:41 am »

Finished Dr. Zhivago and End of Empire, a book detailing the path various British colonies took to independence. Malay in particular was interesting, as was the one on Palestine.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:54 am »

A bit late, but I was planning on reading a lot this year anyway. I'll put it up for 26 books this year, mostly of the self-help kind.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:14 am »

Godverdomse dagen op een godverdomse bol finished. That was a fun read. Describes history of humanity in the form of a novel from when we crawled out of the sea to the only two nuclear bombs ever dropped in war. No names, no dates. Humanity is always refered to as "'t", wich is basically a speech version of "it" in Dutch. In short, I liked this book.

Spoiler: Books (click to show/hide)

(Oh, and the writer, Dimitry Verhulst, is pretty famous in Belgium and the Netherlands for his book "De helaasheid der dingen". I think this book was from before when he was famous tough.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:01:17 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

I can never remember if it's more popular to hate Jane Austen or to love her. I like her books just fine. The satire in this one isn't exactly subtle though.

Also, "I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."

Books:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »

Went downstairs to find something to read and came back up with a stack of a dozen books. It's gonna be a long night.   :-\

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »

A Prison Diary - Jeffrey Archer

Good book even though it's written by a Tory bastard. You can tell he's used to the good life but he's not intolerable. Prison going's on are always interesting to me and the topics raised were worthy.

Spoiler:  8/100 (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

Completed my first book. It's not The Silmarillion, as I forgot to take it to my parents' for the holidays.

Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan

Damn, that was a nice read. It also made me realize why I don't really like Science Fiction: It's the fiction. I am planning to read at least some SciFi this year though.

Spoiler: Books! (click to show/hide)

Suggestions are appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:36:28 pm by Dutchling »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2013, 08:52:32 pm »

So I finally finished my first book the other day.
It seems slow, but I'm technically not behind going by the ' book per week' thing.
Book was Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Excellent book, gotta be the fifth or sixth time I've read it.
Now I'm rereading Shantaram. Don't worry, I haven't read either of them within the timeframe listed in OP.

I'll probably do a proper list once I have proper internet access.
I'm not sure if I'm going to complete this challenge, since I'm travelling a state south today to catch up with a friend, but I'm still going to try. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2013, 09:13:16 pm »

I finished my first book. Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. Not very good, but easy to read. Would've been half-decent if Meyer had taken her own hooks rather than butchering potentially interesting elements. Still only half-decent though. It is a teenaged romance about vampires, after all.

Working on The Reality Dysfunction now. I'm picking it up after reading through about half of the first book, but I still have the entire second book to read, so it counts.

A bit behind, but I should pick things up soon enough.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:27 am »

April Morning - Howard Fast

A coming of age story set during the day of the battle of Lexington. Short, concise, technically well constructed. Dealt with all the themes competently and in an interesting manner. 83%, would read again.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2013, 06:10:52 am »

Working on The Reality Dysfunction now. I'm picking it up after reading through about half of the first book, but I still have the entire second book to read, so it counts.

Oh, it's really good :)  The Commonwealth Saga imo is even better.

And yeah, it definitely counts. IIRC those books are 1000+ pages apiece.

edit: i cant speel

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:24:29 am by Caz »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:14 am »

Finished my first book, Writer at War, an history of Vassili's Grossman war based on excerpt from his articles and notebooks. I read Life and Fate a while ago, and I really like Grossman and the way he describe what is probably the most absolue war ever waged. His text about Treblinka made me cry again (although I had read it already). Overall a good book, except for all the annoying bits between Grossman's prose. It would have been much better if it was just a reprint of his notebooks with added footnote.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50