Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58159 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

Working on The Reality Dysfunction now. I'm picking it up after reading through about half of the first book, but I still have the entire second book to read, so it counts.

Oh, it's really good :)  The Commonwealth Saga imo is even better.

And yeah, it definitely counts. IIRC those books are 1000+ pages apiece.

Each that I have is around 600 pages, which is definitely still a full book each, especially considering the above-average text content per page.

There's something about it I don't quite like. I can't figure out what it is. It's a good book, for sure, but there's something about it. Like I don't like the characters or the setting is boring, but it's neither of those.
However, his use of commas in place of semicolons or even periods makes some phrases confusing. I can't get used to it.

I peeked into Grotesque (heard about it first from you, Caz, actually) and switched to it. I'm really enjoying it.
I have a habit of reading multiple books at once.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »

Book 2 : CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:54 pm »

A book challenge, why wasn't I informed?  Count me the hell in. Can we remade over the book per week average or not?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31:57 am »

mcclay, I think you can. There's a few who work with 26 books instead of 52.

As for me, I finished a book. Jean Giraudoux, la guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu ( = the Trojan war won't happen). It's theatre, something I know little about - and which will change at the end of the year, hopefully. 51 to go !

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:52 am »

Well, actually, I just decided to double down. 52 books is probably what I normally read anyway. So I'm going to do 104. Or die trying. (Don't ask me how you can die from reading too much).

Also, finished a second one. Les grands mythes de l'histoire de Belgique (Great Myths of Belgium's Hsitory). It's a collection of essays from various historians, and wasn't that impressed. They spent more time explaining the history of the myths than correcting them, and some of those essays were clearly historians pushing their own agenda (like that one that deconstructed the "myth" of an industrial Belgium in the 19th century. Because apparently historian had a conspiracy to deny craftsmen their just due for making up a whooping 15% of workers and a smaller part of GDP and exports. I don't think forgetting the contribution of hair dresser to Belgium's economic prosperity is such a big deal, but whatever.)

Overall, I would not recommend reading all of it, but I could recommend some of the essays, like the one about the Battle of the Golden Thingy You Use To Make Your Horse Go Faster for exemple (Cannot remember the english name of that thing).

Spoiler: 2/104 (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:08 am »

What's the word in french ? You made me curious !

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

Eperons. Actually I looked it up, and it's spur in english. Battle of the Golden Spurs. I think I like my version better.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:09 am »

The Eyes of the Dragon and The Gunslinger, with The Stand for later.

I think Stephen King just really hates trees.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:48 am »

Finished book 2 a few days ago but haven't been up to writing a review, so I think I'll abort the idea of reviewing each book after I finish it and just review the ones I think really need it.

So far:
1. Junky (William S. Burroughs)
2. Sourcery (Terry Pratchet) - The only Discworld novel I happen to have at home. It's a re-read but I haven't read it in a couple years so I had forgotten most of it, especially parts of the ending. Wish it was easier to find Discworld novels here in English! I could read them on the computer but it's just not the same...

Still deciding what 3 will be. Hopefully I'll start tonight.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:20 pm »

Finished The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. The first and greatest of the Earth's Children's books. I kinda weep for how bad the last few books got and how many good plotlines were dropped in favour of soap opera-style shenanigans and endless descriptions of the wilderness. Good book though. Maybe I'll read the second.

Spoiler:  9/100 (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:55 pm »

What I really dislike what the "And now, she is going to invent fire, the microwave and soap-opera". Having a single person (raised by dumbass) invent almost every single paleolithic technology was a bit too much.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »

What I really dislike what the "And now, she is going to invent fire, the microwave and soap-opera". Having a single person (raised by dumbass) invent almost every single paleolithic technology was a bit too much.

Yeah. It got quite ridiculous how Ayla and Jon were pretty much beautiful, perfect people (even his ahem, organ was perfect-sized. wtf), could do everything and invent draft horses and atlatls all day long.  I really loved the parody "The Adventures of AylaSue"

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:29 am »

I enjoyed the Iliad. I couldn't really get immersed in the Bible though. I guess the Silmarillion is really more like the Old Testament than a classic Epic. : )

I wish I could get into it, though. I'm a massive fan of Tolkien and I feel like I'm missing something for never having gotten through this book.

Say, shouldn't I be reading now? My next book has to be a a non-fiction analysis of learning and education in 3-6-year-old children by Maria Montessori, translated in English and lent to me by my boss. It's interesting reading but BONE dry and hard to get through quickly. I might have to do this one in installments, with a different novel between each chapter...

Afterthought: actually, the novel I started writing, nearly finished but never quite got there, based on my QAGS game with a group of B12ers about 5 years ago was written in a half-tribute, half-mocking epic/genesis style. I should finish that effing thing and publish it already! It was something like 35,000 words and still only 3/4 done!

Hey Sappho! Urvad Talinlikot here from the QAGS session. I just remembered it a few days ago and came to read some of the logs. Thanks again for a fine game! If you get that novel published, I'll buy it if I remember to.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:16 pm »

Oh, just figured out speed reading.

Read every two lines, don't vocalize.
Try to skim a whole chapter noting only the key points.
Then go back to the start of the chapter and read it slowly.

It's really good for comprehension on more technical books. Probably not good on casual, story books.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »

Who told anyone to stop at 52?

I actually hardly finish any book I pick up unless the author really catches me in some ethereal prism.

Like Homer said, Love Bards.

I have been perusing American poetry lately from the 1850sish era. I find myself there and for good reason.

Industry, vagabonds, adventure. I try to find something more to build upon than trying to start from the ground up.

Specifically, I am taking from Henry David Thoreau and Walt Whitman. The authors out past astound me in their old age.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:31:46 am by Bot Hack »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50