Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58096 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

I tend to give them away, trash them, or use them for kindling when I'm finished with them.
BURN THE HERETIC!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:19 pm »

I always did want to read all the discworld books...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

It just so happens that 5 or 6 of those books that remain ARE Discworld books! Maybe I could ship them to you and get rid of a couple more, hmm....
Those, plus two anthologies(7-8), plus an assortment of technical references(10-14), and a copy of The Anansi Boys and The Light of Other Days(12-16), and the complete HGTG and the Illuminati Trilogy (14-18) are what I can remember offhand.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:47:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:24 pm »

Maybe I'll cheat and bring a really long English-language book with me for the first few weeks when my Portuguese is catching up. Maybe I'll get around to reading Dream of the Red Chamber...In Search of Lost Time is too heavy and big to justify taking, I think.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »

I don't have a huge book collection myself, as I move around too much and books are heavy. But I do plan on raiding my father's collection of science fiction and fantasy for this. He's been collecting and reading them since the early sixties, and my sister once counted around 1000, or so. Not including all the old issues of Analog, etc.

I like to see books around, just in general.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »

I tend to give them away, trash them, or use them for kindling when I'm finished with them.
BURN THE HERETIC!
BURN BURN BURN.

I've got something like 1400-1500 of my own, and there are probably another 2500 in the house that belong to others. We'd have room for maybe 2000 more (as opposed to having to sell—the horror!—the least-read to make room for new stuff) if my father hadn't filled the attic with his studio and hundreds of completed paintings, though of course I don't begrudge him that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »

Few hundred personally owned, mostly paperback.

I no longer care. I have access to tens of thousands, much of that free. I'm a bibliophile of sorts, but it's more what's in the books (the words) than the books themselves (the paper), and whenever I stop and think a little bit about what the internet and local library does to my functional collection (i.e. what I have immediate or near immediate access to) I break out into maddened giggling for a little while. It's a good thing.

And my collection... my collection grows. Faster than I can read, even if I dedicated 24/7 to constant reading. Mweeheehee.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

Whaaaaaat? Why not? I figured those would be a given - they are certainly book length! What about non-textbook-type technical/science books and natural histories? I'm still trying to chug my way through Accelerated C++, for example, and my wife buys a bunch of books about plants that I end up reading second hand. (Though most of those are really half manual/half autobiography. Hmm... I've got some book of my own like that too. I have no idea what that Genre is called!)
Yeah I figured the same thing and that kind of puts a damper on my ability to do this because I will be reading a few of those regardless and that'll cut into my time. I assume natural histories still will, but if they don't I won't be able to do this because with those and textbooks excluded there goes about half of what I'm likely to read this year.

I would probably call those popularizations. Which isn't exactly fair, because some of them can be quite informative, but that's what I call any non-academic text on an academic subject, basically.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

Currently I'm at 600ish books with me at my place, and another couple hundred at my parents. Note that these are all books for entertainment (so not textbooks or dictionaries or whatnot), none of them are comic books, and maybe 95% of them are novels. (I've also got a fair amount of the "3 books in 1" that I only counted as one, but whatever.) The result is that it takes up a lot of space. Current estimates on the size put me at around 8-9 3'6"x4' bookshelves (just counting shelf space, not the tops). So assuming the average book I have is 6" in depth that puts me at right around 60 ft^3. of books.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2012, 06:21:40 pm »

There's this place called library, it's pretty cool. Granted if you live in the wrong place the local bookbuilding might have atrociously small selection to choose from. Not going to sign up since I'm a lazy reader but maybe this'll help me get the pace up to one every three weeks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

There's this place called library, it's pretty cool. Granted if you live in the wrong place the local bookbuilding might have atrociously small selection to choose from. Not going to sign up since I'm a lazy reader but maybe this'll help me get the pace up to one every three weeks.
Yeah but when you have a Bookman's in the same town as you and a parent with a teacher's discount it is remarkably easy to pick up anywhere from 20-40 books for like 100 bucks. And when you have been doing that every birthday for a couple years it tends to add up pretty quickly. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »

To college I went, and with me four books. The Qu'ran, The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Art of War. At home I have about 10 more. Funny thing, though, is that I live less than a minute's run away from a campus library, I have internet access, and I could take a bus for free to the Washington State Library. I have more access to books than I could possibly ever fully use.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 01:54:48 am »

Holy nuts you guys have a ton of books. I've got... maybe 40? on my personal bookshelf. Everything else I borrowed from the library.

That said, I could probably manage the hour-ish each week to finish a novel. Put me up for 52, maybe 104 if I get ambitious.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 08:17:38 am »

I've got maybe...

A thousand? 500? I have no clue. My home is such a mess it's hard to say. 500 seems like a good number though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 02:26:31 pm »

A book a week, starting from 21st? Sure thing!

This is the 2013 challenge, not the 2012-2013 challenge. It takes place from the 1st of Jan till the 31st of Dec. You can start after the 1st of Jan, but not before. You can have a personal challenge or you can cheat here. But would it really be worth it to cheat in a little game?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50