Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58063 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

Oh, I'd very much like to do this. Trouble is, in a week I'll be surrounded by books in a language of which I don't speak very much. I'd be fluently reading it, however, by...oh let's say Valentine's Day.

Would it be acceptable to do a 46-book challenge from February 15th to December 31st?

That would be interesting, each book would be in that language?

If it's so then I would allow you.

Many of them would be, certainly from February to July. I...don't know what I'd end up reading; the only big work of Lusophone literature I know is Camões and that's only because I found him in a used bookstore some weeks ago.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »

Sure I will sign up for this
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »

Also, I'd like to suggest that everyone read at least a random book or three over the course of the year. Go to a second hand place and find something you *wouldn't* read. I read some very fun, broadening things, looking at all the weird stuff that ended up in my library in Iraq.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »

Books, is in the popular novel type, tend to last me a few hours. I could easily pull 52 in a month, but I won't, because that would be dumb. You average fantasy novel or long novel might take a day or two. They are an expensive hobby I've been trying to break myself from, if only expensive in time consumed.

So the problem here is that of those that remain after getting rid of the terrible soul sucking stuff in favour of stuff that actually makes me feel like I've gained something from the experience, I'm most naturally inclined towards reading anthologies and textbooks, which... well, let's just say they can take much, much longer to read.

What about magazines (smaller than the the huge anthologies I read, but generally of the same type) like a standard Analog, Strange Horizons, or the classic Fantasy & Science Fiction?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:18:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »

I'll PTW for now, and if I'm not too occupied by the new year, I'll join.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »

Books, is in the popular novel type, tend to last me a few hours. I could easily pull 52 in a month, but I won't, because that would be dumb. You average fantasy novel or long novel might take a day or two. They are an expensive hobby I've been trying to break myself from, if only expensive in time consumed.

So the problem here is that of those that remain after getting rid of the terrible soul sucking stuff in favour of stuff that actually makes me feel like I've gained something from the experience, I'm most naturally inclined towards reading anthologies and textbooks, which... well, let's just say they can take much, much longer to read.

What about magazines (smaller than the the huge anthologies I read, but generally of the same type) like a standard Analog, Strange Horizons, or the classic Fantasy & Science Fiction?
Yeah, the problem with textbooks is that while you can read them in two or three days you aren't going to retain any of that. And I think good short fiction deserves to be read twice, if not more, because they can be hard to appreciate in just one read. I'm actually pretty much in the same boat you are, but I think it's possible with reading popularizations and fiction I think I'll actually enjoy. There are also collections of letters and journals that can be really informative on a person's work (and sometimes essential) and there's stuff like the Best American series, or the Best European which is much lighter reading than your usual anthology, although it pays for that by being of middling quality, culturally informative at least. Also, fiction awards regularly publish anthologies. I know the Nebula does and so does the O Henry and those are usually only around 400 pages.

Also, I'd like to suggest that everyone read at least a random book or three over the course of the year. Go to a second hand place and find something you *wouldn't* read. I read some very fun, broadening things, looking at all the weird stuff that ended up in my library in Iraq.
I'm totally doing this, because this is a great opportunity for it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:29 pm »

Definitely doing that. In fact, I've got a nice little pile of bizarre pulp novels that I'd (probably) never take a good look at otherwise.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 12:12:18 am »

I'll join, but only on the condition that all the 1000 page monstrosities I read count as two. If I started grabbing shorter books I could easily read one or two a week but I'm not really willing to start picking up books because of how short they are.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 02:21:52 am »

I'll join.
Spoiler: Books! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:32:46 pm by Dutchling »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 02:30:38 am »

In. I'm going sailing for a month with no internet. Woo, books!

Goal - 100
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 02:35:09 am »

In. I'm going sailing for a month with no internet. Woo, books!

Goal - 100
Woah boi.
I might be able to do that in the summer.
Sig! Onol

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 02:38:38 am »

Hmmm. Book suggestions needed, STAT!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 02:40:42 am »

Hmmm. Book suggestions needed, STAT!
Dresden Files. Stephen King. This. Kinda a bit of swearing on the last one.
Sig! Onol

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 05:03:01 am »

I might cheat a little and count "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" as mutliple books though :P, I can borrow that one from my brother.
Or I just read the other books a little faster...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 06:10:47 am »

Hm. Sign me up for this. I used to read books- as in, your average novel- in a couple of days, but lately I've fallen out of the habit of reading and have spent way too much time on the internet instead. :-\ Well, I have been reading The Walking Dead and a heap of various comics, but obviously they don't count.

I've got a couple of new books to read, including the one I'm reading at the moment, (Billy Bathgate is the current one, and holy shit it is an amazing book. The prose is beautiful. Next up is Don Quixote, which will probably take me the remainder of the year to get through. :P) but I have enough money to buy a couple of books or so each fortnight. :) There is an excellent bookstore in the City near me, in this lovely old building that is just jam-packed with books. I'll be glad of an excuse to shop there more often!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50