Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58140 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:27 pm »

Cthulhu, that is the strangest possible way to end that story.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:32 am »

It was good though.  Like I said, I had to readjust my perceptions of what kind of book it was for it to seem good.  I thought it was a paperback grocery-store thriller and got a serious horror novel that didn't pull punches.

I'm reading Cujo now.  I remember reading somewhere about Cujo being a  bad villain because it's just a dog, but maybe that guy's never been around giant dogs.  There's something primally scary about Cujo, giant supernatural "eldritch abominations" are sort of scary I guess when they're done really well, but they're not real and there's always that kind of disconnect.  Being eaten by a giant dog is real though, even realer than a murderer.  It gets your Inner Monkey chattering, you know what I mean?
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't really been keeping track. Bad me. Winter's Tale is always fun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:10 am »

One more !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never liked Zweig's novels, but his non-fiction works are a pleasure to read. Should get my hand on some more.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

Spoiler: 15/52 (click to show/hide)

Cujo was good.  Like I said, big supernatural "eldritch abominations" (I hate that phrase) can be scary when they're done very well, but dying in someone's driveway, within earshot of the city park?  Because of an animal you probably have in your home right now and can trust?  That's scary on a very real and personal level.

Occasionally the series of unassuming coincidences that led to what happened jarred at my suspension of disbelief, but shit like that happens all the time.  True story, a deaf kid went missing in a snowstorm in my neighborhood a few years before I was born.  They looked everywhere, I think the parents were murder suspects for a while, eventually they gave up the search.  Like ten years later they found his bones in the backyard of his house.  They weren't even buried.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:35:05 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »

I saw that reading books you have already read doesn't count but what if  you are reading a book you started but never finished

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »

First off,
4) Rereads are allowed as long as they were last read before the 1st of January 2013

So if you read those parts before 2013, then it doesn't count as rereading. And if you read those parts during 2013, that counts as part of your reading it for this year.

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »

ok thanks going to start reading today

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 30, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »

Also this challenge is for you, mostly. So you can make your own rules as you see fit.

And while I'm posting here, I'm really bad at reading. I haven't finished anything but Dubliners since my last post, though I am halfway through Mrs Dalloway.
I should read Life of Pi next. Or one of the couple of books I was recommended a couple of weeks ago. Or something with Alaska as the second word in the title, which I was also recommended.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 30, 2013, 11:02:12 pm »

Spoiler: 21/52 (click to show/hide)

The Story of the Stone was a totally mindblowing experience.  Recommended, recommended as a life experience--it's not a diversion, I wouldn't say.  It's like climbing the grand canyon.

Next, I'm going to finish the Poetic and Prose Eddas, as well as the Auden translations.  Then The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, which I'd read much of previously but need to finish.  I'm being kind of lax with the standards for myself--note the short Sufism and poetry books above--but on the other hand I'm trying to motivate myself to read a lot and finish off a particular number of texts I've been putting off forever, rather than read a book every week.

Whatever.  I'm expecting it won't matter, anyway--in the five days between my graduations, I'm expecting to read another multi-thousand-page book, which I figure gives me the right to go light on a couple entries here and there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:42 am »

Spoiler: 17/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Just read Abusing Science. It's a good book arguing against Scientific creationist claims, instead of the more prolific "IF WE CAME FROM MONKEYS WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS CHECKMATE ATHEISTS" It was really interesting seeing more complex creationist claims, and the authors slightly(hah) aggressive response.
    We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
    • hoo hoo motherfucker
      • View Profile
    « Reply #506 on: May 02, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »

Oh hey, I read a book while I was travelling.

Good book. Enjoyed it. Could see it as a live-action movie or animated. And there's rumors of both.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
    Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • True neoliberalism has never been tried
      • View Profile
    « Reply #507 on: May 02, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »

I'm so lazy with my Portuguese that I haven't gotten around to anything 'cuz I've just been reading short stories and poetry.

:\

2014!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #508 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »

If you're reading through collections, those should count, too...
    "The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
    • Ridin' with Biden
      • View Profile
    « Reply #509 on: May 03, 2013, 11:26:23 am »

I'm definitely counting Lovecraft's short stories as one.
    Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50