Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58149 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:20 am »

OK. I think, given the amount of effort to read short stories and poems in a language I'm learning, I can probably get away with overcounting the longer ones. The cantos of Caramuru, for example, are ninety eight-line stanzas long.

Spoiler: 6/52 (click to show/hide)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2013, 06:14:40 am »

Spoiler: first 19 (click to show/hide)

I want to take a couple of minutes here to say a few things about the book I finished last night: The Lemurian Stone by Stephen F. Hickman.

I often stop into "Antikvariat" shops (second-hand bookstores) and look at the English books they have available. I've found some real gems there. But for two years, I saw this book, the Lemurian Stone, on the shelf, and now and then I'd flip through the first few pages and set it back down. It seemed like typical standard fantasy fare, and I've had enough of that really. Finally, a year ago, I desperately needed something for the 9-hour flight to the USA to visit my family, so I just bought it. I opened it when we were in the air and didn't close it until I had finished the book.

I was very wrong about this book. It's not "standard fantasy" at all, but something quite unique and original. And the imagery is amazing - turns out the book is not written by a writer at all, but by a painter. As you read it, it's clear that the author can see in great detail the incredible places and actions he's describing, and he has the ability to make you see it just as clearly. I sometimes dream about these places now.

The book is not perfect. There are some printing errors, and even the occasional spelling mistake or minor grammar error that makes you wonder if it was properly proofed before printing. Normally these things are a deal-breaker for me, but in this case I can forgive them.

This time around I really took my time with the book. It is very slow reading because the imagery is so dense. Action scenes take a particularly long time to get through because movements are described so precisely. But I got far more out of it this time than I did before. And I will read it again in the future.

Has anyone else read this one? I'm curious if other DF fans have the same reaction as me.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »

Read Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis. Fun, if ridiculous in some parts. It was interesting for me to read the parts set in the twin cities, because I live there now. You can't see farm fields from the hills around lake calhoun anymore, that's for sure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't care about the number of books! I'm just going to read at the pace I want to.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:16 am »

Spoiler: 18/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Finished YOU, wasn't expecting such a melancholy ending.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:31:44 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 07, 2013, 06:59:24 pm »

Book #6 has been read.

Millennium by Tom Holland. Spoiler alert: It's about the millennium. Historic shizzle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:05 am »

And another book finished! Sourcery, by Terry Pratchett, and an excellent read it was. Also I've just noticed that for some odd reason the discworld book list inside the cover is printed with the order going from bottom right to top left, meaning that I've actually been reading the books of the series in the reverse order that they were published. :P

Spoiler: Books Finished 21/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 9947

And today marks the end of week 18, for those of you tracking!

And the next one goes down! Boy I just love summer! :D The Color of Magic, by Terry Pratchett comes in at 210 pages and quite a few laughs. I am highly looking forward to starting the immediate sequel sometime in the next few days.

Spoiler: Books Finished 22/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 10,157
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:52:45 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:31 am »

Finished book #7: The call of Cthulhu and other weird tales, by Lovecraft. Definitely a good book, although none of the stories are even remotely scary. Plot twists aren't very common either.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

Lovecraft is not a good writer, but his descriptions are interesting. That's about all his short stories are good for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

Let me put it another way:
Lovecraft's strong point is his description. He uses language to paint vivid images of truly strange entities and situations. He knows when language is not as powerful as the human imagination and leaves the appropriate blanks to be filled in.

Lovecraft does not create good plots. His characters are simple and go through a very limited set of developments. His settings are more bland than is intended. He does not do a good job of telling a story - language and flow are not engaging. His stories have little lasting effect.

I'm not pointing out Lovecraft's one strength. I'm saying his stories could have been a lot better.

I'll hold my tongue on the matter if anyone offers a rebuttal or counterargument to keep the thread on track, but I'm a bit miffed and this is what I think.
Isn't this thread for discussing books? Just reporting what one reads would make for a boring thread.
If it isn't for discussion, I'll have to apologize.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing this thread become a discussion about books. We might end up with a very long thread filled with pages of discussion though.

I finished another book - a history book, simply called "the french revolution" (La révolution française to be more exact). I don't have much to say, it wasn't well written, and it was mostly about political discussions and less about all the other stuff (the wars, the economy, the Terreur could have been more detailed) but it was interesting to see how things quickly evolved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now let's find something else to read in the subway !

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »

I you want more history I can recommend Millennium by Tom Holland. It is very well written, for a history book.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:43:57 pm by Dutchling »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #521 on: May 14, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »

Spoiler: first 20 (click to show/hide)

Number 21: Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre

I recommend this book. There was a lot of humor and a great deal of insight. Mostly it exposes just how effed-up the culture of the USA really is, how twisted and perverted it has become, especially in certain sub-cultures, and the kind of situations that can (and do) result. Large portions of the book were actually difficult to read - having been away from America for a few years I often forget just how strange and backwards it is - but it was worth it. I plan to lend it to some of my Czech friends as a way of helping them understand why I don't want to live over there anymore.

I actually found the book by accident at a Czech bookstore in a bargain bin just outside the front door. It's rare to find English-language books in a bargain bin in this country, particularly new ones, and it looked interesting so I grabbed it. I find a lot of good books that way.

Total Pages: 6076

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 14, 2013, 07:53:50 pm »

So I'm planning on picking up some books either tomorrow or the day after. I've got a few in mind, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books they liked or felt were must reads.

This thread felt like a decent place to ask about it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

Oh wow, half of the year gone and I hear this challenge...

PTW for the moment. Hopefully getting things done along with this.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2013, 10:27:46 pm »

recommendations for books they liked or felt were must reads
House of Leaves
It's, like, $50 though, if you're purchasing it.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50