Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58135 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »

Thirded.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:33 am »

Ah yeah, I've been meaning to look into that one. It looks interesting, I'll definitely try to pick it up if I see it.

This is what my list of titles looks like so far, It's mostly classical literature that I've had an interest in looking up for a while now:

"20 Years Later" Alexander Dumas
"The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later" Alexander Dumas (probably won't be getting this one now)
"The Count of Monte Cristo" Alexander Dumas
"A Canticle for Leibowitz" Walter M. Miller, Jr.
"Les Miserables" Victor Hugo (this one's a lengthy five volumes)
"Frankenstein" Mary Shelley
"Dracula" Bram Stoker
"The Princess Bride" William Goldman
"House of Leaves" Mark Z Danielewski

On top of that I might wind up reading the last two wheel of time books. I sort of got turned off this prospect when my brother after hearing that it would be completed by Brandon Sanderson went out and got "The Way of Kings", which was a book I really didn't like, it wasn't especially bad, but something about elicited such a huge, "meh" reaction from me that it still sits unfinished on my bedside table. Something about the characters and plot dynamics just felt somewhat flat to me... Which was weird because I read gigantic amounts of pulp fantasy back in the day.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2013, 05:54:39 am »

Ohhhhh A Canticle for Liebowitz is one of my favorites, might have to re-read that one after I finish the Dune series again.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 15, 2013, 08:13:07 am »

I've Finished!

...another book, that is. Whew. The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton, a good 1100 pages long. Most certainly not for everyone, but I enjoyed it quite well.

It's science fiction, about...well, the future, full 'a good ol' space travel and such. Crazy stuff starts happening on some newly settled planet, reality jumps out a window. Hundreds of characters are named, their little stories going about seemingly unrelated to others' stories (this is a galaxy spanning epic, after all). It all starts coming together though. Mostly. The scale of things feels sufficiently massive for the book to pull off being as big as it is. (this "review" is lousy and you should go read a more professional one elsewhere)

Oh, and it's the first book of the Night's Dawn trilogy, so I'm actually nowhere near finished. Not that I have the other books...

Spoiler: 3/40 (click to show/hide)

Edit: Readed bookses list now with number of pages information!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:35:45 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 15, 2013, 08:36:35 am »

It's science fiction, about...well, the future, full 'a good ol' space travel and such. Crazy stuff starts happening on some newly settled planet, reality jumps out a window. Hundreds of characters are named, their little stories going about seemingly unrelated to others' stories (this is a galaxy spanning epic, after all). It all starts coming together though. Mostly. The scale of things feels sufficiently massive for the book to pull off being as big as it is. (this "review" is lousy and you should go read a more professional one elsewhere)
Lousy? I need to read this now D:

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:48 am »

Autocorrect strikes again.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:44 am »

Lousy: 1. Very poor or bad; disgusting: "lousy weather"
          2. Ill; in poor physical condition: "she felt lousy"

Had me thinking it had something to do with louses, but it seems not. Second definition is what I was going for. Maybe there are multiple spellings? Or maybe that wasn't the point?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2013, 09:27:57 am »

I assume it was intended to be 'Linky' and autocorrect was like 'lolnope'

The former being a commonly used term when one wishes another forumite to share a link to something they mentioned.
My cabbages!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:06 am »

I questioned the lousiness of their review, as it made me want to read the book ;)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:12 am »

I had not noticed their usage of the word lousy, I shall remove the egg from my face and turn it into a fine omlette.
My cabbages!

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

I love how none of us knew what anyone else was saying, or to whom. Except maybe Dutchling, you seemed to know what was going on.

Also, I felt my review was lousy because it was short and vague, as opposed to the well-written, detailed review (honestly all out spoilers in the last paragraph, and maybe a couple others, though) I read before finding the book. Perhaps vague is better sometimes. :P

/attempts to throw every book I read in everyone's face

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »

And another Terry Pratchett goes down. The Light Fantastic comes in at 241 pages and several hours worth of enjoyment. It's extremely interesting to see this series develop from some more cliched roots into the unique style of the later books.

Spoiler: Books Finished 23/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 10,398
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »

I've picked up The Reality Dysfunction twice and haven't gotten through the first half yet. It's dense. Undoubtedly a good book, but not everyone may enjoy it.

I really could've done without some of the really smutty parts in between. Maybe it gets justified later in, maybe it doesn't, I don't know, maybe it adds a depth I never caught because I never finished it, but cripes. I read that stuff in class. That's like people reading Fifty Shades in public.
Naw, 's just character building and entertainment. I found most of those parts too artistic to be smutty.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:08 pm »

Ok, so my book raid was halfway successful, I came away with "The Princess Bride", "Dracula", "Frankenstein", and "Twenty Years After". But I didn't find "Canticle for Leibowitz", or "House of Leaves". *shrug* I'll get around to them later.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 15, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »

Frankenstein is a good book :D

And as House is blue in 'house of leaves' I assume that is the same book I borrowed from my brother (it has a different name in Dutch). I started it, but I quickly got confused :P. I'll try again soon though, and pay a little more attention.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50