Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 87738 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:29 am »

should be up relative soon (it takes a bit to write a good narrative). if you want it ASAP, i can drop it and just stick to the facts.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

5th Sandstone

Reexamination of millitary candidates:

Given the possible peril that our fortress will suffer, an expansion of the millitary has been put into effect.

As a result, an analysis of the Physiology and Psychology of all of the members in the fort of Amberjewel has been put conducted. The results of it are as follows:

Primary attributed for Military Training:
Recuperation (Primary)

Exclusionary Conditions:
If the following professions are taken by a citizen, they are to be excluded:
   Mining
   Any Metalsmithing above Dabbling
   Legendary in any capacity
   Over Talented in any Core Fortress Profession (Cook, Brewer, ect)

Qualified Candidates and their Current Professions:
Urist Gakizdegel   - Farmer (Cook lvl3)
Momuz Solozbomrek   - Hauler
Obok Ralzasit      - Ranger
Momuz Kadolrigoth   - Suturer
Kikrost Artobkulet   - Farmer (Grower lvl2)
Unib Matthikut      - Carpenter (Proficient lvl5)
Tirish Rigothallas   - Ranger (Skilled Marksdwarf)
Moldath Mistemthunen   - Animal Trainer (lvl2)
Kikrost Adaslogem   - Hauler
Shorast Arsakzul   - Carpenter (lvl6)

Squad Creation:
Hammerdwarfs (Silver Hammer)
Bronze Armor (Needs creation)
   Mail Shirt
   Breastplate
   Helm
   Greaves
   Gauntlet
   High Boot
   Shield

Weapons have been assigned, and orders for more armor have been given

15th Sandstone:
The trade liason for the humans bothered to talk to me, didnt say much.

Oh Esteemed Overseer, We, of the Guild would like to congratulate you on your success here. Only the dwarves could create a fortress on top of a glacier, and you have not only done so, but you have created a fortress where people can visit and dwarves can live in peace. As a gift of ours, we wish to extend to you a request for items. While we cannot guarantee that all of these items will come in the quantity that you want, we will make every effort that we can to bring them next time we visit.

I told him the following:
Wood: All Types, Highest Priority
Drinks: All Types, Highest Priority
Plants: All Types, Highest Priority
Cloth: All Types, Highest Priority
Cheese: All Types, Highest Priority
Barrels: All Types, Highest Priority

After that, he chatted with me some more, mostly about things that i don't care about (I don't frankly care about your children or the new house you just bought. I have a fortress to run, and your job in it is to get moving, away from me, and back to the humans, so they can actually BRING the stuff that I need). He proceeded to talk to me for awhile, but in a way that i realized didn't actually require my presence. While he was still talking in my general direction, i slipped outside of the room. I still saw him talking to the wall where i used to be, and i knew that eventually, he would come and find me once he actually needed me for something. Humans are not right in the head i tell you.

Note:

Yetis still aren't trainable (I cant make them show up in the animals screen, or having them train manually... perhaps another overseer can do this.)

The Following People have been dwarfed, and into the following professions
Icepicktrotsky "Banna", Speardwarf, Female
Zimmer02 "Zimmer", High Master Weaponsmith, Male

If i have missed anyone in dwarfing, let me know, ill go ahead and dwarf them as we have.... exactly 100 dwarves with no nicknames (and who arent children or babies). Current population is at 182, 112 adults, 70 children btw.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:26:32 am by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2012, 04:48:22 am »

Why, why copper?!
We have both tetrahedrite and cassiterite ores, so bronze just as accessible as that copper, given that we make it from ore directly.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:12 am »

Why, why copper?!
We have both tetrahedrite and cassiterite ores, so bronze just as accessible as that copper, given that we make it from ore directly.

Yeah... i meant bronze... the armor is assigned properly, i just keep replacing the words in my reports...

Should be fixed

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:21 am »

Why, why copper?!

Yeah... i meant bronze... the armor is assigned properly, i just keep replacing the words in my reports...

Should be fixed
Pheww... I feel easier now.
When I left the fort, there were fortress wealth above 1 megabucks. I'd expect some sieges and ambushes soon... So maybe you should reconsider banning adamantine armor?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2012, 05:50:43 am »

should be up relative soon (it takes a bit to write a good narrative). if you want it ASAP, i can drop it and just stick to the facts.
I would be heartbroken if you left out the narrative...

Why, why copper?!

Should be fixed
When I left the fort, there were fortress wealth above 1 megabucks. I'd expect some sieges and ambushes soon... So maybe you should reconsider banning adamantine armor?
Candy armour should be created specifically for important military dwarves. (not important as in 'noble' important, but as in 'legendary swordsdwarf')

And about the yetis, I'll take a look at the savefile when you're finished, and see if I can upload a fixed version.
I'll be disappointed if we can't get war yetis, but it's not the end of the world... yet...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2012, 05:57:54 am »

Why, why copper?!

Should be fixed
Candy armour should be created specifically for important military dwarves. (not important as in 'noble' important, but as in 'legendary swordsdwarf')

And about the yetis, I'll take a look at the savefile when you're finished, and see if I can upload a fixed version.
I'll be disappointed if we can't get war yetis, but it's not the end of the world... yet...
Okay, good point. But stud it with gold then, every piece!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2012, 06:11:21 am »

Why, why copper?!

Should be fixed

Ain't nobody got time for dat!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2012, 08:07:27 am »

Why, why copper?!

Should be fixed

Ain't nobody got time for dat!

To be fair, i have several hundred gold bars sitting around that im not quite sure what to do with. At the moment i am using them to create bins and barrels, cause, you know, its the only thing i really need right now.

Studding everything with gold might be fun (although i have no clue how that interacts with armor that the millitary is already wearing).

Yeah, as for invasions, ive checked my init file and i do have invasions marked as YES, so.... i dunno, maybe im just lucky.

On the bright side, the fort is running much smoother now. This has been a pretty productive turn.

So far, i have made the following improvements

Farms - Actually created large farms and ample storage for their products (including the entire cloth industry)
Metalsmithing - Created efficient and effective ore/bar stockpile
Crafting - created insanity-proof workshops (doors) and stockpiles either near or below the workshops (Ie, workshops actually NEAR the stockpile that they need...)
Food/Drink - Food stockpiles are now efficiently designed, Stills are located near barrel/pot storage and plants, Gigantic Food Stockpile is no longer the sole one, but the place where ONLY the stuff that can be cooked (and has no better place) is stored
Military - Sorted into specific squads, Everyone has best weapons, Bronze armor for all (except the brand new squad, but that's currently being made, but we have half of them with armor), 29 Dwarves in military (slowly training), not counting the 8-12 hunters that we have (Bone bolts work wonders)
Defense - Trap components were assembled en-masse and are being put into workable traps right now (10 parts, 1 dwarf at a time.... takes a long time)
Overall Profession - Worked to create specialized professions that mean that Dwarves aren't gonna be 100 tiles away from their workshop, and labor is effectively carried out
Resources - Wood stockpile is full, with 30-40 pieces in trading depot, Plenty of ore in the mined out tunnels, just need Dwarves to carry it down to the ore storage area
Coffins - over 20 unused coffins sit ready for new corpses to be put into them

And to think, i still haven't hit winter yet :)

Still to be done:
Refuse stockpiles (Either a large dumping area over a 15 level drop, or a magma chute (not my favorite plan)
Goblin Grinder (tunnel of death), Still in construction
Specific industry Burrows (Might not get done)
Specific hauler classes (Ore haulers, refuse haulers, food haulers, ect) (Might not get done)
... I cant think of anything else
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:09:30 am by bp920091 »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2012, 09:33:30 am »

Way that I used for studding that spear -
You set a stockpile for items you want to stud, you set the 'Give to' option to the forge you'll be using for work, and you do the same with gold bar stockpile.
So 'Stud with gold/R' will take an item from item stockpile and a gold bar from bar stockpile, and this goes on until item stockpile is empty.
I guess military guys will change basic armor for studded one, since its value is higher, so after changing you can stud them too.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:15 am »

You know, I left the fort with a fully functional goblin grinder, it's just waiting for more weapon traps. Not necessarily 10-weapon ones either.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:47 am »

Final update and the save will be up within 24 hours (as ill be out of town by then, i NEED to get it done).

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2012, 04:27:25 am »

24th Sandstone:

More migrants arrive... Why do they keep coming, we are already packed...

13, 5 of them are children (seriously, 75 children. Who brings their kid to a fort like this?)

Also, none of them are notable for having ANY sort of millitary training, forge training, or any skill with the farm... More haulers... yay...

27th sandstone, a dwarven kid withdraws from society... them kids with their strange moods...

15th Timber:

A caravan shows up, we move the spiked silver balls to the trade depot to trade them... probably for their whole damn caravan.

16th Timber:

that kid starts making that construction thing that he got in his head. he dragged off two of our precious logs, two raw gemstones, and a piece of yeti leather... i have no idea what the damn kid is going to make.

20th Timber:

The damn kid finished making a highwood drum... damn that kid, couldnt he have made some adamantine armor or something?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24th Timber:

We trade seven spiked silver balls for every piece of leather, cloth, steel bars, plump helmets, any sort of meat, and and fish they can see that the caravan has...

I can be damn sure that we arent gonna run out of food/drink anytime soon (we should be good for drink for at LEAST two seasons, if none is made)

15th Moonstone:

The merchants finally leave

16th Moonstone:
'
7 Peachicks finally hatch, 4 female, 3 male (males get culled, females go into battery farms)

26th Moonstone:

The culling complete, i have taken another look at our stocks. Additionally, i have discovered a use for our fishers who spent so long getting here. They can clean and gut the (apparently WHOLE) fish that the traders gave us...

19th Opal:

Good God, over ten births this month... make that 11. Dwarves need more things to do i guess.

25th Opal:

Well, it has finally happened, we are given the chance to become part of the empire... as a result, I nominated The Mad One for the baron (he's mad already, so he's practically a noble)

27th Opal: The outpost liason finally gets around to talking to me... i ask him to bring as much cheese, meat, beer, wood, barrels, and cloth as he possibly can.

Obsidian:

Besides more babies being born, the final engravings being put to the main meeting hall... nothing happened. Ive gotta write one heck of a finale

1 Granite:

"ATTENTION!" a voice rings out over the crowded meeting hall. This was the end of the year that Bp920091 was overseeing, and every single dwarf was called into this meeting. From the Dozen or so Forgers who never ventured above the farms, to the hunters who kept the fort secure and captured the wild yetis. At the moment, over two hundred and Five Dwarves inhabited the fort (now a metropolis, on its way to becoming a barony), so the hall was packed so tight that many Dwarves could not turn around. Additionally, the yetis that were captured could have been said to be in attendance, as they were in the far back of the hall.

"CITIZENS OF THE FORT OF AMBERJEWEL!" Rings the voice again, recognized as the overseer who had so organized the fort that they inhabited. A strange purple mist seemed to leak out of her mouth as she talked, parts of her twitching slightly. "I HAVE BROUGHT ORDER TO THIS FORT OVER THE PAST YEAR! WITHOUT ORDER THEIR IS CHAOS, AND I INTEND TO BRING ORDER TO THIS FORT FOREVER!" The surrounding dwarves looked at each other, knowing full well that each overseer had exactly one year of a term. The unvoiced thought was "Is this overseer really breaking the only unbreakable rule?"

A mumble seemed to come from the mouth of the overseer, too quiet to hear. "I HAVE BROUGHT THIS FORT TO ORDER TO PREPARE FOR THE IMPENDING WAVE. AFTER ALL, WHAT IS THE POINT OF DESTROYING A FORT THAT IS UNORGANIZED, SIMPLY NOT FUN, ILL TELL YOU!" At these words, the surrounding dwarves seemed to become restless, but from the mouth of the overseer a quiet shaking voice seemed to be saying "No... You wont... OF COURSE I WILL, YOU FOOL. I HAVE BEEN CONTROLLING YOU FOR OVER A YEAR AND YOU STILL HAVE NEVER ONCE BEEN ABLE TO EXERT YOUR OWN WILL!"

At this point, the Mad One seemed to get an idea and started playing one of his blue microline flutes that he kept with him at all times. "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO STOP ME, I WILL BRING ABOUT THE DESTRUCTION OF AMBERJEWEL." "No, You wont", said the quieter voice again, dwarves remembering this voice as that of the overseer bp920091 before she became overseer.

A slight rumble seemed to be emanating from the overseer's position, and she seemed to be vibrating. "Quick, Play More Flutes!" Said the Mad One. "WHY NOW, WHY HAVE YOU NOW PUT UP SUCH A RESISTANCE! YOU WOULD SURRENDER WILLINGLY IF YOU KNEW WHAT WAS COMING! MUCH QUICKER AND EASIER TO DIE BY MY INTERVENTION THAN WHAT WILL ARRIVE SOON." The millitary, seeing that this was something that should stop fast, moved close as if to detain (or kill) the overseer.  As the approached, the purple mist around the overseer shifted into a purple glowing sphere and they were able to come no closer than ten feet to the overseer, in any direction, as if the sphere was stopping them.

By this time, several more dwarves had picked up flutes and had started playing, the music seeming to affect the overseer. "THIS SOUND, IT COMES WITH THE END. WHY DO YOU PLAY IT!" "You will Never suceed, we will stand strong, we will defeat all who invade us" came the old voice of the overseer, louder and steadier than before. As the Mad One contuned playing, the surrounding dwarves kept picking up flutes and the sound rose in intensity.

A child seemed to get an idea and dashed off (many of the dwarves thought this cowardice). An grating scream built from the overseer, the voice that had spoken with authority becoming sharp. The shaking contined to build until many of the miners became worried for the structural stability of the whole fort.

The child that had run off down the staircase reappeared, pushing an object into the Mad One's hands, and his eyes lit up with glee. Ritharsazir, the microline artifact flute that had been completed by that same child months earlier was raised to the lips of the Mad One. As he drew breath, a loud "NO!" could be heard from the overseer. As the Mad One played Ritharsazir, the pulsating purple glow seemed to intensify, the scream rising in intensity as well. "GET OUT OF MY MIND!" the overseer shouted, bringing with it a clarity that had never been heard in over a year from the dwarf. As the Mad One played his heart out, a black shrouded glow seemed to rise from the purple glow. The scream rose in pitch, the black glow raising far above the head of the overseer, the connection narrowing betwee the two.

The rest of the dwarves that were not playing flutes were awestruck by the sight. A large black bubble seemed to be growing over the overseer and the purple glow of the overseer, with the link between them narrowing. The music seemed to reach a cresendo, the climax of the song, and the scream seemed to die completely, the shaking of the ground stopping. "SO BE IT! YOU WILL NEVER BE GRANTED ANY MERCY FROM WHAT WILL COME!" "WE NEVER WANTED ANY FROM YOU! DEMON! BEGONE!"

A blinding flash of light was seen by all in the room at this, the Mad One stopping his playing along with everyone else. As the eyesight of the dwarves returned, they saw bp920091 on the ground, slowly getting up, cracks in the stone all around her leaking purple smoke that rapidly dissapated. "I Think i am done for awhile, I dont care who leads the fort, take it into glory" said Bp920091, her voice returned to normal. "I just want to go and plant plump helmets for now."

As she said that, she slowly walked down the staircase, leaving the shocked crowd to think about what had just happened. The Mad One was the first to recover, packing away the now legendary flute and walking back to his workshop to create more of them. The rest of the fort soon followed, resuming their jobs that they had done before.

Once again the fort of Amberjewel was without an overseer, but they could deal with that tomorrow.

Ill be uploading my whole save file, with DF included (as im going out of town, i may as well make sure its playable).

Overview Screen is here:

The save is here:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1212/Amberjewel_Playthrough.zip

... And Im done for now, im gonna be hopping on a plane in less than 2 hours.... see you all in a week!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2012, 05:26:31 am »

Wow. A miasma demon that hates flutes. The Mad One was not so mad, after all!

So from now the  fortress point is - war yetis and flutes?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:41 am »

There are no words.
Well, except for "That finale was friggin' awesome!"
And maybe a little "Two and a half million ☼!? ARMOK'S CANDY BALLS."
Along with some "More kids making musical instruments? Awesome."
Then the "The Mad One? Baron!? Hellooo flute mandates!"

And yes. Yetis and flutes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36