Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 87731 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2012, 06:55:52 am »

Yeah, I forgot to mention, but we have enough food/drink for like a year. Essential services are on repeat. Should focus on improving the military...

Ehh, I tried another writing style than usual, let me know how it went.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2012, 08:40:03 am »

That was a great ending.  I was wondering how you would do it seeing as you said nothing happened, but that was unexpected and cool.

Now we're a barony... uh, shouldn't we have been sieged over a million dwarf bucks ago?  I'm debating whether to try to invite ire (e.g. elf of human) or begin some kind of large-ish project seeing as the place looks like it should run like clockwork now.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:09 am »

Amberjewel fortress records, 5th Granite 93

For the four days following the mysterious and frankly terrifying abdication of the much loved overseer, bp90210, the fortress was in a great state of shock.  Nobody had the chin-whiskers to take control, frightened as they were that they too might be possessed by whatever forces had turned a congenial farmer's wife into a being of immense will, forethought and near instantaneous thought.  In a society where drunkenness is esteemed, this was the stuff of dwarven nightmares.

That's when Clint, herself of similar humble origins as bp90210 and thus equally likely to succumb to the spirit, but she 'often does the first thing that comes to mind', took charge.  Clint is married to the hunter Kel Lancereward who lived up to his family name by fathering nine children together, but they are proud to claim that only one, their youngest daughter, takes up space in Amberjewel.  Between them, the couple have slain five yeti and it was with these beasts in mind that Clint called a meeting....

Everyone was ordered to gather in the meeting hall, children too.  Clint cancelled military training and kicked the fat sparring-onlookers out of the barracks.  She ordered a beautiful rock salt table and wooden chair to be brought to the head of the room.  The table was brought quickly, but when she enquired about the chair the haulers looked at her dumbly.  "What be a.. 'chair', commander?".  "Never mind you dolts.  Take your places."

The assembled dwarf folk were mumbling quietly in the hall.  When Clint took her place, she suddenly realised that talking to two hundred faces is quite different from bashing in yeti skulls.  Even though some dwarves were clearly hiding in the stairwell and behind statues, she rapped the table, a hush descended, and she began.

"Yetis.  We're going to tame, breed, train, fight and live hand to hand with, and possibly export, yetis.  That is all."

They looked at her with a general aura of approval, like had a group of the highest dwarven minds proposed the very same idea they could have not given more sound advice.  This was to be a tomb with yeti pets, the vision was clear and the dwarves loved it.

"Now get back to work you entombed beer swillers!  And make me some damn CHAIRS!"

[Yeah, I need some modding help as, since bp said, they don't show up on animal list :(]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:49:16 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »

Modding help? OK, just open up "(dwarf fortress directory)\data\save\(name of Amberjewel's region)\raw\creature_standard.txt"
Scroll down to the [CREATURE:YETI] entry, and add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] somewhere. It shouldn't matter, I don't think, as long as it's somewhere in that entry.
Once that's done, restart DF and train us some yeti!
Also, please assign The Mad One a pet yeti. Preferably a yeti with armour. That would be epic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »

Sign me up for overseer #9 Please!

Dwarf me as uber_pye the weapon smith Please!

:)
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2012, 02:14:57 am »

OK, thanks Insanity, we now have about 17 wild yeti available for training.
Uber pye has been dorfed as "uber_pye", weaponsmith, husband to the Chief Medical dwarf, with three kids and a few relatives in the fort.
Zimer02 has been dorfed as "Zimer", a new yeti whisperer (along with Tirion's wife)!  He has a wife and three kids and some relations in the fort.  Nope, turns out Zimer is already dorfed, as another weaponsmith.   :'(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:22:46 am by hermes »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »

17? Cool. I say once we get them breeding, train all but one of the males for war and keep the females and one male aside for reproduction. If we get too many females, they too can be war-trained and assigned to militiadwarves.
Suddenly I feel sorry for the yetis... they exist only to breed and kill, in service of their dwarfy overlords.
Suddenly I feel sorry for the dwarves... they exist only to craft and kill, in service of their extraplanar overlords.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

seems like Kiera has done nothing amazing XD not much mention of the lil mechanic at all :P  glad the forts still going even if it's just flutes and yetis
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2012, 12:32:54 pm »

Bear in mind that yetis take more than 10 years to grow up, and the ones you tame as adults will keep reverting into semi-wild, and eventually wild forms if no animal trainer gets there in time.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

So, then the main point is - survive for 10 years to get reliable war yetis production. And microcline flutes.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:18 pm »

Bear in mind that yetis take more than 10 years to grow up, and the ones you tame as adults will keep reverting into semi-wild, and eventually wild forms if no animal trainer gets there in time.
We can survive for ten years! It'll be easy! And...
So, then the main point is - survive for 10 years to get reliable war yetis production. And microcline flutes.
...I like the sound of that.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clint's Journal, 3rd Slate 93

Taking on board the advice of Tirion, who seems pretty knowledgeable about yetis (probably got the info from his wife), the yeti pen designations now include living quarters and a dining room for the trainers who shall be expected to live in close proximity to their charges.  Their sole task for the rest of their lives in Amberjewel shall be to tame the beasts.

I'm having trouble getting the miners to pay attention to the plans though.  They are in the deep searching for gems, and it seems nothing can divert their attention.

Some more migrants arrived.  About forty in all, mostly guildsmen good at crafting such and such.  I shall have them prepare some furniture for the new barracks.

The liaison from Gatalmelbil left, and mentioned on the way out he wants a lot of armour and hammers or something.  There was a conspicuous absence of flutes on his trade request which put the Mad One in a grumpy disposition, until a runner from the capital arrived...

Praise Armok!

I note that the position of mayor is currently held by our resident bookkeeper, Tobul.  Thus I, as Supreme Overseer, considerably outrank Tobul for this year alone so he has been removed and I opened the position to any able minded dorf (bearing in mind the mental state of our new Baron, 'able' is used extremely flexibly).  I asked the dwarves to submit applications in writing stating why they are the dorf for the job.  My expectations are not high.

To become a capital, the runner informs us, we need to donate 7500 dorfbucks.  If the king accepts the payment in microcline flutes....?

6th Slate 93

The miners have FINALLY started work on the barracks and yeti pits.  I can't tell if they are telling me they disapprove of Amberjewel's military plans, or they really only like digging for gold and gems.

15th Slate 93

Spoke to Kiera today, she was ecstatic.  Looked a bit shabby, but when you're friends with the Baron and he holds a celebratory party AND you're one of a select few invited (including Peregar), who can't keep a smile off their face?  The Mad One didn't invite me.  He must have known I had a wrestling demonstration to organize at that time.

That damn mayor.

The Mad One puts on his finest blue suit and steps out from his microcline dungeon grotto for the evening.

Of the dozens of dorfs idling and standing around, the Baron invited just four.  FOUR.

Game is progressing slowly with family stuff and av. fps of 35, and being unable to stop playing FTL and XCOM ;).  I might cut my turn short, 'cos I don't want to hold up the game.  Will try to finish the animal training setup and barracks at least.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:11:40 am by hermes »

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile

four o.o; wow... looks like that mechanic has been doing a lot behind the scenes to be friends with the mad one and be of the four to go to that party XD . also.... maybe it is time for the fort to be known for t's flutes.... i propose a mega construction.... a massive magma spewing microline flute over the fort entrance.... muahahhahahahahahah
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

i propose a mega construction.... a massive magma spewing microline flute over the fort entrance.... muahahhahahahahahah
Hell yes!!!

front view:
 _  - hatches
#~# - pressurized magma
### - microcline walls

top view:
+++++++++++++++
+¢^¢^¢^¢^¢^¢^¢+
+++++++++++++++

Each pressure plate is linked to nearby hatches. Any invader who moves along the Flute - opens hatches and floods himself with magma!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i propose a mega construction.... a massive magma spewing microline flute over the fort entrance.... muahahhahahahahahah
Hell yes!!!

front view:
 _  - hatches
#~# - pressurized magma
### - microcline walls

top view:
+++++++++++++++
+¢^¢^¢^¢^¢^¢^¢+
+++++++++++++++

Each pressure plate is linked to nearby hatches. Any invader who moves along the Flute - opens hatches and floods himself with magma!

Won't that melt the ice, though?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36