Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 86196 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Im totally ready to go next, and if i might offer a suggestion. If DFFD is down, i recommend either http://www.mediafire.com/ or http://www.eve-files.com/. Technically the second is only for eve online related files, but as i have my dwarf fortress folder in the middle of my eve online folder, i use it anyway (plus the files are on the order of a couple dozen megs, rather than several Gigabytes (the standard file size on there)).

Also, im gonna have nothing to do with adamantine mining/processing (I feel that it is a bit too much like cheating). I forsee a LOT of steel production in our future!
Okay, save is here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qakw95qxv9qjm6j
We have no iron here, except imported and melted ore and stuff.
But we have marble, so you can make some steel of what we already have.

We should put that statue at the fortress gates, since it's the remains of the colossus and will amply demonstrate what happens to things that annoy us.  Wall it off with constructed fortifications so the trolls don't topple our masterpiece of watching the agonies of a creature that cannot feel pain.

Or we could just stick it somewhere to be admired and produce happy thoughts.  That works too.
I want the statue in the gatehouse area. Maybe between the two doors just beyond the trade depot?
Or, we could put it inside a microcline room, surround it with flutes and give it offerings.

I like option B.
I put it into dining hall, next to armadillo cage. You can put it anywhere you want.

You're slaughtering yetis to train the militia? Huh. I still want my war polar bears.
I didn't find any else use of them. Also, the door into pit is controlled with lever next to it.

UPD DFFD is up, so here it is too: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7243
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:59:00 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

i got the save, and ill try and get my first report up within 24 hours.

On first glance, why are all of the walls made out of rock salt... right beneath a glacier.

On second glance, why is everything so inefficiently designed.

There's gonna be some changes here...
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

A Hush falls over the crowd as the entire fortress assembles in the main meeting area. Peregarrett had been a good overseer, but as was ordered by the mountainhomes, an overseer could only rule for one year before being replaced by another. Yet there was a problem... The next overseer had not arrived yet. The name on the list clearly said "Bp920091" but none of the dwarves had ever heard of a dwarf by that name, or even remotely like it.

As the center of the hall cleared, Peregarrett taking his place back among his fellows to leave the burden of responsibility to another's hands, dwarves stood in silence, waiting for this new overseer to show themselves.

A Voice suddenly rung out from the hall, a dwarf suddnely speaking in an eery voice, "I Have Come to Bring Order to the fort of Amberjewel!" The dwarf that spoke this was none other than Vaboksakzul, the wife of one of the proficient growers in the fort. A purple light seemed to flash in her eyes, and she then spoke with a deep voice. "It is time for Amberjewel to become a fort of legends. Impenetratable, Self sufficient, and most of all, the wealthiest of them all!"

Cheers rung out among the crowd at this proclamation. "Now, I will be visiting each and every one of you in turn to make sure that each one of you will help the fort in the best way that you can. For the moment, continue along with your current duties, but I need to speak with the Miners first."

As the remainder of the fortress moved off to continue their jobs, the miners sheepishly walked up to the newly proclaimed overseer and said, "Yes overseer." Bp920091 responded "First off, you are to stop mining adamantine, i do not want one of you touching those walls. They were put there for a damn good reason, and we are NOT going to DREAM of touching them until we get the rest of the fortress prepared for the horrors that we will unleash if we continue."

Seeing the faces fall, as the miners assumed they would be out of a job, Bp920091 said "But do not be sad miners; Rejoice, as you will still get to work the earth with your mighty picks. You instead will work the earth to expand our food supply and to mine out the ore that we will rely on for weapons and traps to keep the fortress safe. In other words, without you, the fortress goes nowhere at all." Seeing the relief on their faces, Bp920091 continued "Go back to your rooms, and i will have new designations for you soon. Remember, you are the heart of the fort, as without you, there would be no fort at all."

Growing weary from revealing her true form to the crowds, Bp920091 sits down at a table and begins to work on plans for improving the fortress...
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Spoooky...
Also, it's really awesome that we have some not-journal-entries narrative! Hurrah!

Journal of the Mad One, Tomorrow
A new overseer!? Again? We're getting a new one every single year! It's amazing!
I like the new overseer. She's called British Petroleum Nine-hundred-and-twenty-thousand-and-ninety-one. I think. Anyway, he's awesome, diary! He told the miners to stop digging up ada- ada- ada- the blue stuff. But not the microcline blue stuff, noooo.... nothing is more valuable than microcliiiinnee.... Except for my flutes, diary! Except for my fluteses! Precious fluteses...

Wait, did you make an entire update that disn't require you to unpause the game?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Wait, did you make an entire update that disn't require you to unpause the game?

kinda.... after all, we have so much to do, and so much to work with (120 dwarves work great, and the children naturally CAN do some things. Like harvest plants).

Sorry the update has been taking so long, im on like the fifth order on my list (and i still havent unpaused the game).

Needless to say, once im done, the fort will be running like clockwork (assuming we dont get invaded, since im just gonna wall us off at that point (if Decree #4 is not fully implemented (Invasion proof lethal hallways)). Ive got seven of these decrees so far, and i add them as i go along.

Yeah, my supply chain management/project management classes in college work wonders for helping with organization. That, and i am a LONG time dwarf fortress player

Next post should be up within 24 hours (Internet troubles and the holiday have conspired to make my most recent post a tad bit late (It will be up SOON though).

But not the microcline blue stuff

Yeah... Im gonna hit a LOT more ore veins, not gonna continue microline mining (at least until we get a LOT more ore thats stored properly (Again, part of another decree)).

By the way, glad you like the narrative style, ill try and keep it going. Let me know if you want me to change anything about it though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:45:50 am by bp920091 »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

First thing is first, Bp920091 heads to the room of the person who's been collecting all of the eggs from the egg laying birds in the fortress. A knock rings out. "Yes overseer" The dwarf replies. "First thing is first, I wish to congratulate you on your acquisition of such great egg-layers in a fortress that is on a glacier." A smile grows on the dwarf's face. "However, there are some inefficiencies in the egg-harvesting area that you have used. First off, why have you not utilized the Battery Farms concept of past forts and had a controlled area for egg-laying? A 1x2 room with a nest box and a door works wonders, for two main reasons.

First off, you can control the birds, so that you can have them lay eggs as FAST as possible (they have nothing else to do). Secondly, you can control your dwarves. Dwarves will (doing their job) collect eggs as fast as they possibly can, often when you do not want them to (as when you are trying to get a large number of birds for egg-laying).
As a result, I have had the miners dig out a proper battery farm setup, and move the birds into it as soon as it is dug out and you can get nest boxes/doors in each room. Additionally, we are going to keep whatever male birds that we have in that room, so that we can both contain them, and possibly cull them (we only need one male for breeding eggs after all). That is all that I have for you, get to it."

Bp920091 leaves the room, leaving the dwarf feeling a bit shaken, but reassured that he was doing things mostly right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After this, Bp920091 went to the door of the head farmer. His door was open, and he was looking stressed as he was pacing throughout his room. "Do not fret, as I have come to make your job easier. We are not only going to expand the farms, but we are going to make it so that the seeds are no longer hundreds of levels above you. " "But Overseer" The dwarf said, with a pained look in his eye "Even with that problem resolved, we cannot keep hauling the plants up to that gigantic stockpile when we harvest them. We lose so much of the crop that way."

"Ahh" Bp920091 replied, "That was the second part of my plan, as I am going to direct the miners to create storage areas for the plants that you harvest, just one level above the plants. As a result, you are not only going to have increased farming space, but faster replanting times and faster food storage times." Again, a look of relief crossed another dwarf's face. "Carry out your duties quickly, as without you, we have no plants, and without plants, food is scarce and drink is nonexistent. Remember, the faster you work, the faster you get to drink!" With that, the dwarf stopped his pacing and sped down to the farming area.

Next up were the miners, and Bp920091 caught up to them when they were continuing to mine out the adamantine vein. She called them over and they stopped working, some looking relieved that they were going to stop mining the demon stone.

"First off, I wish to congratulate you on your exceptional job so far, as you have dug out one impressive fortress. You are going to stop mining this adamantine, and you are going to start mining for ore (after you finish renovations of course." "Renovations?" A dwarf said. "Yes, Renovations, as you are going to first redo the egg-laying network in the upper fortress. After that, work on the new seed-storage area, then orders will be given to you all. Keep up the great work."

With that, the miners meandered up off the massive staircase, no doubt wondering how far they were away from unleashing horrors below.

Bp920091 followed the miners, needing a chat with the head craftsdwarf, someone referred to as "Mad One" She found him working in the craftsdwarf's shop, making more flutes. "I need to speak to you, and it is about the setup that you have here." "More flutes, I must make more flutes, precious microcline" breathed the Mad One in a hushed tone. "If you listen to me, I can make sure that you can make more microcline flutes"

That got the Mad One's attention right away, his muttering stopping immediately, all attention on the overseer. "First off, we are going to rework the whole workshop area. You know how long you have to go to get those precious blue stones? Well, we are not only going to put them next to your workshops, we are going to rework them to be safe from harm. Ever hear of a dwarf getting an idea into his head and snapping as he cannot complete it?"

The Mad One nodded in agreement, fully aware of the problem. “Now, what I am proposing is that we dig out a set of chambers right next to the workshops, where we can put the new workshops. The purpose of this is twofold, as we are going to safeguard the workshops from insane dwarves coming into them, and install doors to make sure that when they do go insane (not ever dwarf can have their inner demons calmed, unfortunately), we can just lock the door and let them wear themselves out, as opposed to causing bodily harm to their friends and family.”

This seemed to please the Mad One, yet a question still remained in his eye. “I know what you are thinking, and for now, just continue making the flutes as you have been doing. Once the workshops are constructed, I will have you tear down the current area and move to the old one (If it is even possible, I will have the workshop MADE out of microcline).” That cheered up the Mad One immensely, and he continued with his work making those blue flutes that so perplexed the overseer.

Next, Bp920091 headed down to the smithing area, seeing a hole in the walls of the staircase on her way down and catching a passing mason to plug the breach. She arrived at the smithy with no other problems. “Now, I understand that you have been working hard on smithing, and I will congratulate you on that, However, I am going to make your lives even easier.”

“First off, we are going to dig out an ore and bar storage area several levels above you. This will not only shorten your walking time, but make it so that you run out of ore less frequently. Secondly, we are going to move food and booze down next to your sleeping areas. This means that if you want to get a drink, or something to eat, you no longer have to spend hours walking up flights of stairs to get to them, just walk up one flight of stairs. I will commend the previous overseer on building beds down in your area, and those will come in handy, but you need to have yourself more of a way of living down here. Eventually, I even hope that you will never even need to come up and see the blinding sunlight again. You will be faster, more efficient, and happier.”

With that, a light flashed in the overseer’s eyes, and she returned to her normal state. Whatever force possessed her did not exist any longer, but she had a feeling that it would definitely return.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clint's Journal

Today I attended our new overseer's speech and saw Bp920091 walking the halls with panicked dwarves following her shadow.  The wife of a grower, indeed!  Whilst I don't approve of such a lowborn dwarf becoming our overseer, I do note that she has cartloads of common sense, of which I most heartily approve.  Except... a miner told me in passing that she had halted digging at the spire.  Far too conservative!  I worry that there is not enough confidence that my macedwarfs can stem any tide that should come against us.  It was that damn human acting like an elf, dancing around the Colossus for a season that made a mockery of our arms.  At least he got what was coming to him, twinkle toes couldn't dance all year, hehehe.  Humans are so thin skinned, and ignorant.  Let them bring their armies to our tomb, then they shall know the colour of microcline when we drown them in flutes.

On a more sober note, I happened to glance at the overseer roster and realised that I shall take charge next year.  I had better train hard this year, for being an overseer shall surely take a toll on me, everyone knows what happened to the Mad One.  Better work on my inauguration speech.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I like the efficiency-related things that are being done. I'm not very good with efficiency - I make my forts to be aesthetically pleasing, not efficient. As far as the adamantine goes, we should only dig out enough to make armour and weapons for an exceptionally powerful military. And war polar bears... I really want war polar bears...

Let them bring their armies to our tomb, then they shall know the colour of microcline when we drown them in flutes.
This made my day. I thank you, good sir.

Oh, and:

Journal of the Mad One, Three Days Hence
British Petroleum Nine-hundred-and-twenty-thousand-and-ninety-one is really nice, diary. He told me that there were going to be new workshops, with lots of microcline for flutes... so many fluuuuutes...
I also heard British Petroleum Nine-hundred-and-twenty-thousand-and-ninety-one saying that I might be able to have a workshop made from microcline! To craft microcline! In to microcline!

Flutes. Microcline flutes...
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Posting on my phone ATM, the year up to the middle of fall should be up tonight. Oh btw, some kid made a microcline flute artifact. Looks like the Mad One has become a role model, as terrifying as that sounds.

zimer02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Insanity, are you going to write a backstory for this fort, if not then I'll be more than happy to write it for you

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Posting on my phone ATM, the year up to the middle of fall should be up tonight. Oh btw, some kid made a microcline flute artifact. Looks like the Mad One has become a role model, as terrifying as that sounds.
Oh Armok yes.

Hey Insanity, are you going to write a backstory for this fort, if not then I'll be more than happy to write it for you
Oh Arm- actually, no. My writing expertise is currently engaged in a totally unrelated project. Besides, I'd actually quite like to see what you can come up with.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:33:59 am by InsanityIncarnate »

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I highly approve of what's going on in this fort. I don't think I have the chops to take over an overseeing role, but I could be dorfed, I'll be glad to add to the lore intermittently.

Name: Balnash (M) Banna (F)
Profession: Brewer/Speardorf

Gender doesn't matter to me especially for a dorf, and I saw that we have a speardorfs already, and not all of them are claimed. If no one really fits, feel free to wait for a proper migrant.

Cheers, and I'll be watching.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tirion's Journal

92 Spring

I heard the new overseer stopped excavation of the adamantine spire. Good, we weren't ready for what the legends claim lies in wait there. I also heard she has a talent to make things more efficient. I hope she gets to the barracks soon, I think our squads could be better-namely, not mixed.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

First Active Comission:

Have the forges work on smithing all of the tetrahedrite that we have (Copper for traps, silver for hammers)

Need: traps 5x copper serrated disk, 5x copper large manacing spike

4th Granite:

Seed stockpiles are dug out next to farms, created stockpiles, turned seeds off of massive food stockpile

5th Granite:

I have let the remainder of the adamantine smithing remain, but all future smithing will be of copper serrated disks and menacing spikes (and the tetrahedrite ore of course)

6 Slate:

A child has been posessed

He claimed the workshop in the middle of the microcline stockpile... instead of the one right next to him.

13th slate:

some migrants have arrived

56 of them, including 29 children.... thats a lot more mouths to feed, but i need the workforce

of the workforge, five are fishers, three are hunters, and the rest arent worth mentioning

14th slate:

Reshuffling of the noble positions

New Chief medical dwarf (who actually has a diagnostics skill)

In order to organize the new industries, a new Hauler name has been bestowed upon many dwarves (18 to be specific. The criteria was: do they have any useful talents that we would use? No? then they suceed)

28th slate:

I have ordered 3 new miners to begin working on the designations that i have passed down (the two legendary miners do well, but are only two dwarves)

NOTE: There is a lot of job cancellation spam about missing plump helmet spawns, ignore it. Its caused by a dwarf picking up a seed bag and only using one seed, and everyone else doesnt know where the seeds went and give up.

2nd Felsite:

We have finally run out of raw adamantine strands. Im not touching that damn pillar, its an affront to the gods to mine it and im not going to be one of the overseers to doom their fort by being too greedy. One of the members of the millitary called me a coward when i proclaimed this and i had a short word with him after the meeting was over. I regailed him with stories of fortresses that had dared dig too deep and found themselves torn apart by the horrors of below. Unimaginably fast, incredibly strong, and near invincible. Oh, and numerous as the stars in the sky. Taking on one of these monstrosities is a challenge, but not impossible. Taking them on in the swarms that they perfer is suicidal. If the consensus of the fort is to die in the most gruesome way possible, i will continue to dig. After this speech, he seemed a bit mollified, if not entirely convinced.

4th Felsite:

That child that entered the strange mood a while back finally finished his construction. A microline flute, as if we didnt have many of those before... Perhaps he takes after the Mad One. Children need role models after all. I am just terrified that the child chose HIM for his role model...

NOTE: Good god, 75 children... thats a LOT of nonworking mouths to feed.

12th Felsite:

An elven Caravan arrive (i intend to strip them of all of their cloth and booze)

I have the rest of the fort that is not doing anything bring all of the trap components, random stuff, ect

13th Felsite:

After the rest of the fortress has moved the goods for trading up top, ive had the industries broken down. The looms are going above the processed plant stockpiles (for faster processing), just like the stills. The crafting workshops are going in the new containment area (so dwarves can be sealed if needed). Wood furnace is also going in the new workshop area. The Kitchen is NOT going down there, it is going in the new workshop area (for faster access to food, not just plants. A Barrel/pot storage area is also going down there.

Additionally, a cloth stockpile and the clothiers workshops are going one level up.

So, to summarize, here's how the faming levels work. Keep in mind, Level 0 is the level that was used for a tree farm and that the levels go up, not down.

Level 0 - Farms/seeds
Level 1 - Raw plant stockpiles
Level 2 - Food Processing
Level 3 - Processed Plant/Container Storage
Level 4 - Looms/Breweries
Level 5 - Clothiers workshops/Cloth Storage
Level 6 - Clothing Storage

A handy tool for remembering how they work is that plants grow UP, and so do their products.

19th Felsite: A kobold thief showed up, got scared off by a dog, and ran off into the snowstorm

AN: Im still confused about that gigantic pit right outside the base, we've got floating ce and random mechanisms in it, with two levels of water at the bottom. As far as i can tell, that's fresh water, and im not touching it. Some voodoo sorcery must have caused it.

5th Hematite:

The damn broker gets off his ass and actually gets to the trading depot. We buy every single piece of wood off them, as well as all of their cloth (of which they brought seveal dozen bins) for five spiked silver balls (Of which we have 54 of). I don't know about these elven fetishes, and i don't wanna know.

18th Hematite:

More Migrants arrive... great... We are lucky this time, only one child and nine Dwarves. Since we desperately need more smiths, and since trap components dont require much, if any skill to make and still be just as effective, ive drafted them all into smithing.

28th Hematite:

Its like a swarm of Dwarves decide to actually do something smart and converge en-masse on the gigantic bar stockpile that has been clogging up the forges for a long time. Here's how it works. Copper bars get the level immediately above the forges, bronze, and gold/silver get the level above them. The few non copper, gold, or silver bars that we DO have will remain in the other stockpile. Ore is also going to be stored in those levels (same levels as bars, for consistency).

13th Malachite:

Everything is running much smoother now, industries far more productive than they were before. In celebration for this, i have had the newly constructed clothiers workshops create 15 of every type of clothes (its not like we are wanting for cloth, as we have FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY rope reed fiber cloth)

Speaking of that, the orders for the copper trap components were finally coming to completion. The rough design of this is as such. Each one of those traps is filled with Five Copper serrated disks and Five Copper Menacing spikes. The serrated disks are incredibly effecive against everything that is not at last coated in copper armor, and the copper menacing spikes have enough force to penetrate steel (Oddly enough, only the spikes will penetrate steel, not the blades). This is a simplified setup of one of my past assignments, the fort of hammerlaw. That fort was continually under siege (for eight years straight), and not a single goblin made it past the first section of weapon traps (admittedly, it was a 2x16 corridor filled with those traps, but redundancies were put into place.

None of the adamantine weapons that were smelted under my term lay used, they are just sitting next to the forges that made them in a special stockpile.

22nd Malachite:

Another child withdraws from society, claiming a craftsdwarf's workshop

On another note, we have over a dozen yeti that have been caught by our cage traps... im not sure what to make of that. For starters, i never knew that there were yeti, and secondly, i didnt know that we caught enough to start a damn breeding operation out of them....

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

If you would like, i can write my final post in a third person narrative, as was my original post, or a first person narrative, as was my second post. Doing sporadic events is damn hard to do from an individual perspective, and it basically would take me a good 3-4 paragraphs to say what could be said in just a few sentences.

Whatever people like i can do for my final post (Should be done by tomorrow).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36