Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 86198 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I'm not concerned about how you decide to write the narrative, but your first post was pretty cool. Personally I'd like a 3-4 paragraph build-up to some massive yeti-related contrivance that results in the entire fortress' stock of flutes being catapulted (via drawbridge) into a goblin siege/ambush.

How's the military faring, and why aren't we using our adamantine weaponry? If they're in need of training, I believe an earlier overseer mentioned yetis...

How about we make yetis our chief export? And I'm all for someone modding the savefile so we can breed and train war yetis.

Yetis and flutes. Is that what this fortress is going to be remembered for?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note: please don't forget we have cassiterite. Lots of it. Think about that before you order any copper armor made  ;)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

zimer02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, BP don't mean to sound demanding but I'm gonna assume that's there's at  least on dwarf that I can have and would appreciate if I can get one.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Hey, BP don't mean to sound demanding but I'm gonna assume that's there's at  least on dwarf that I can have and would appreciate if I can get one.

Yeah, i can definitely dwarf you, there's like 150 unnamed dwarfs running around the fort. What kind of role you want?

Note: please don't forget we have cassiterite. Lots of it. Think about that before you order any copper armor made  ;)

the only thing that im making out of copper are the weapon components. Copper trap components can hit just about anything. The serrated disks will shred any unarmored targets (and some armored targets), while the spikes can penetrate any armor of equal of lesser thickness (copper is the toughest armor that gobbos come with)

As far as i can tell, the millitary has all copper armor.

How's the military faring, and why aren't we using our adamantine weaponry? If they're in need of training, I believe an earlier overseer mentioned yetis...

How about we make yetis our chief export? And I'm all for someone modding the savefile so we can breed and train war yetis.

Yetis and flutes. Is that what this fortress is going to be remembered for?

First off, the millitary is using adamantine weapons, just not all of them (they are still training). No casualties (in fact, there haven't been any invasions since i started, no forgotten beasts, no invading armies (and we have had some thiefs who cut up a cat that's been chillin in front of the entrance, so i know they CAN get here and that invaders is turned on)).

Secondly, id love to trade yetis, but as far as i am aware, moving an animal to the trading depot releases it (if that's not the case, someone let me know).

The final post might take me another day to write, but it should be good.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

So why is the military using copper armour? As Tirion said, we can make bronze: we have cassiterite for tin bars and copper armour to melt down for copper bars... um...
How many adamantine wafers, strands and raw rocks are available? Do we have enough to make adamantine armour?

A pity about the yetis. A check to the wiki has proven that untamed animals escape from cages when you try to trade them.

So I'm adding a poll concerning the yeti situation.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tame and breed the, but hunt the wild population into extinction, those bastards keep bashing the goblin grinder's entrance hatches.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

So why is the military using copper armour? As Tirion said, we can make bronze: we have cassiterite for tin bars and copper armour to melt down for copper bars... um...
How many adamantine wafers, strands and raw rocks are available? Do we have enough to make adamantine armour?

A pity about the yetis. A check to the wiki has proven that untamed animals escape from cages when you try to trade them.

derp, i meant bronze armor. Ive had a few late days recently.

also, even if we were to vote how to train war yetis, i dont know how to edit those raws spefically.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

derp, i meant bronze armor. Ive had a few late days recently.

also, even if we were to vote how to train war yetis, i dont know how to edit those raws spefically.

Just add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to the yeti's entry in data/save/(name of this region folder)/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess you missed my request for dorfing as well, bp. That's okay, but I'll just reiterate it here.

Oh, and I voted for TRAIN DEM YAKS.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I'll leave the poll up for a little while longer, but the outcome looks pretty clear.
Apologies to that one guy who doesn't want the savefile modded. :(

<snipped>
<also snipped>

Just add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to the yeti's entry in data/save/(name of this region folder)/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt.
I'm a dabbling modder, so I could do that after British Petroleum uploads his save.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 05:27:31 am »

Oh, that's great! War yeti show!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 05:40:31 am »

hey, im currently doing a rehaul of the millitary, and its taking longer than i thought... combined with spending time with family today, im not gonna be able to get the save up tonight unfortunately.

Millitary should have all copper armor (Full set), adamantine weapons, proper squads, seperate barracks (possibly...)

If that's all that's needed, i can probably do it myself (ill let you know how it goes)

Additionally, im considering adding a whole list of people to the millitary once they finish sorting the ore/bar stockpiles (thats taking a LONG time, 1500 bars or something). My primary criteria? Wound Recovery. As long as they have that as high as possible, i dont care what else they have, we can teach them.

You know, i might just release another gigantic update that doesnt require me to unpause... just like my first one :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:40:24 am by bp920091 »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2012, 07:39:31 am »

Just make sure the armor is bronze, not copper  :P And that speardwarves will only have speardwarf squadmates, etc. My dorf doesn't need to watch those axe demonstrations.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2012, 08:47:42 am »

Complete Military Overhaul

reshuffled into 3 squads:
All Bronze Armor + Cloth Hoods/cloaks (going on outside of the armor)
Silver/Adamantine Weapons (Swords/Spear Adamantine, Mace Silver)
Bronze Shields

12th Galena

A Human Caravan Arrives, along with a representative from the Behal Cadap Guild (whatever that is)

we buy a bunch of random stuff:
Notable:
Cloth:6 bins
Leather: 3 bins
MASSIVE amounts of cheese, booze, surface plants, ect

All for 2 spiked silver balls...

NOTE: I've never before seen a single bin with over 100,000 worth inside it. We better damn make sure that it stays under lock and key.

9th Limestone:
The Merchants leave with no real issue, but at the sound of them leaving, a child who was currently under a strange mood snaps and goes insane. The worst kind of insanity, Berserk!

However, the military comes in and a single speardwarf charges ahead, screaming with rage at the destruction that the child could now cause, devoid of all reason as the child now is. The battle was short and brutal. The child looks at this dwarf, feral eyes locking on and beginning to charge at the dwarf, seemingly ignoring the adamantine spear that the dwarf was carrying. As a result, the spear goes straight through an arm, meeting no resistance (severing an artery), followed by a quick jab into the other arm (severing both nerves and arteries in the process). This process is repeated to... every single body part that the child has, arms, legs, fingers, ect. As if to grant the child mercy (or to kill-steal), a sworddwarf chops off the leg of the child just as the child bleeds out.

This child looks at the military, the light fading from his eyes, the vestiges of reason returning to him. His attackers look upon him as one would look upon a feral beast. When months before, this child was frolicking within the fort with other children, this child snapped and was reduced to a feral beast. At this point, with innumerable holes in the body and missing a leg, a light seems to go out of the child's eyes, limbs falling limp, and blood slowly pooling around the corpse.

As the military realizes the threat was dealt with, all of the squads move back to the barracks to resume their training, all of them looking rather glum or stone-faced. Except the Swordsdwarf Tulon Rakustaban, who came in and sliced off that dwarf's leg. He has a big smile on his face as he had "Taken Joy in Slaughter Lately"

This is life in the fortress, some people can never be saved.

Strangely, Bumble Frostbeard is still standing by the slain corpse weeks after the attack. He is free to go back to his dormitory or even wander about the fort, but he stands by the child. He does not have a smile on his face, nor a frown. He stands there, looking at the fort

20th Limestone:

Another yeti was killed, this time by a strike to the head from a human caravan guard. The strike was the one and only of the fight. One can only imagine that the yeti charged at the caravan, eyes glowing red in the blizzard that was occurring. Only recently leaving the relative shelter of the trading depot, fear must have possessed the minds of the human caravan guards.

Shouldering the mighty halberds that the humans possessed, freezing metal barely tempered by the think gloves that were worn, the halberd was aimed at the yeti. One quick thrust as the yeti charged, an eerie scream emanating from it's mouth before the impact. The impact was quick, and what disturbed the guard was not the attack itself, but the silence that followed the one and only thrust. From a howling scream to complete silence was quite a change. Blood pored from the wound that the human occurred, and as he realized that he had struck the beast in the head, instantly killing it. The human guard would never again take the trip back to amberjewel, not because he would not survive the trip (hundreds of miles to the nearest civilization, silence the only companion to the caravan), but because he would be haunted by the sound and the silence that followed for the rest of his life.

Next update should be good (more organization, possibly more combat updates).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:50:12 am by bp920091 »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2012, 09:36:33 pm »

Bump!

Because I'm an impatient bastard and want to see bp's next update.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36