Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43639 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2012, 09:52:10 pm »

can we please get back to explaining how one can improve their chances of getting laid? I'm curious, and purely for academic reasons of course.

Yes, I also have a purely academic interest in this.
My academic interest is piqued.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »

you guys got some fucked up professors :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:37 pm »

I must stress I'm not taking a moral high ground when I say I have no interest in how to get laid, I just want to know how to make women happy.

(And yes I already know the answer is "It depends on the girl")
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »

Please let's not take this discussion as a reason to snipe at people.

This is sorta why I'm not really comfortable with sharing my views. Not understanding a persons position seems to default to the worst thing one can assume about said position. I'm not really trained in debate, so getting hotly engaged with people who seem well versed in such would be unwise if they are itching more for a debate than an understanding.

This does make me anticipate the eventual "What is love?" thread though.

As someone who's made his anti-democracy, pro-eugenic, and generally "out-there" view on morality and self concept fairly well known, I feel that a large part of the reaction will come from your approach to introducing your concepts. If it's in the form of "I would like to explain why I believe what I believe", and you have at least halfway decent and relatively honest response, the response will (generally) be good. Especially if you aren't trying to cast explicit judgements on other forum-goers.

If it's in the form of "this is how it is", and your argument uses loaded languages, seems purposely confusing, is generally aggressive (I DARE YOU TO DISAGREE WITH ME), relies on the audience accepting assumptions they don't agree with or actively reject (only relevant if you are trying to convince others instead of just explain yourself), you attack other people's beliefs instead of just putting forward your own, you make statements blatantly contradictory to reality without explanation or justification (only black people voted for Nobama!), or it seems like you are being insincere, then you are going to have a bad time. (And I'm not saying all of that has happened in this thread, but those are the sort of things that seem to set people off).

And never, ever tell people "it's obvious just google it and you'll see".

* GlyphGryph shrugs.

Obviously if people agree with you they will tend to let you get away with more, but I HATE people who argue dishonestly no matter whether they agree or with me or not, and have no compunction attacking poor reasoning even if the viewpoint being pushed is one I support.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:34 pm »

you guys got some fucked up professors :P

They prefer the term, "experienced in application of the theory in the field," probably because it fills up more space on a CV/resume'.

I dunno. I've always liked nice guys.

Nice guys can mellow the hell out of they are a bit overdoing it. They will slowly normalize.

If he's an asshole, he's just going to become more of an asshole. That's my experience.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »

Actually, on a more serious note, I don't wanna get laid, I have my hand for those purposes. I want a relationship.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2012, 10:05:06 pm »

This is sorta why I'm not really comfortable with sharing my views. Not understanding a persons position seems to default to the worst thing one can assume about said position. I'm not really trained in debate, so getting hotly engaged with people who seem well versed in such would be unwise if they are itching more for a debate than an understanding.

I don't know, I've never studied or trained for debate. I just like discussions like this, because my primary motive in life is to seek to better understand, and to be similarly understood. I like hearing people's opinions, even when my own are sharply at odds with them, because in exchanging ideas and reasoning, we both (hopefully) can find the common threads and differences between evidence and our beliefs, and thus come to a better approximation of Truth.

...which, er, in this case is apparently about relationships and/or getting laid. But still. Truth!

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »

feel that a large part of the reaction will come from your approach to introducing your concepts. If it's in the form of "I would like to explain why I believe what I believe", and you have at least halfway decent and relatively honest response, the response will (generally) be good. Especially if you aren't trying to cast explicit judgements on other forum-goers.

I agree with this.  Presentation matters a lot.

I dunno. I've always liked nice guys.

Nice guys can mellow the hell out of they are a bit overdoing it. They will slowly normalize.

If he's an asshole, he's just going to become more of an asshole. That's my experience.

I agree with this, too, and "hooray!" for actual examples of how people really feel, in response to a question about peoples' feelings.  :3

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:26 pm »

Actually, on a more serious note, I don't wanna get laid, I have my hand for those purposes. I want a relationship.

Strangely, I've come to the same conclusion over the past years.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »

As a virgin in college, I pretty much just want to get laid right now, that relationship stuff can come later.

Its practically treated as a rite of passage into manhood these days so I figure might as well get that under my belt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:15 pm »

Be careful what you wish for.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »

...why do you guys all act like having random sex is some difficult thing? Seriously. It's only as hard as you make it. (Ba dum *tish*!)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:11 pm »

I don't go for nice guys, or girls, because I don't (generally) like nice people. I find them to be untrustworthy and unreliable, at best. I like people I know I can count on. And in my experience, you can't count on nice people.

And nice people don't (generally) like me. So it kind of works out.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »

As a virgin in college, I pretty much just want to get laid right now, that relationship stuff can come later.

Its practically treated as a rite of passage into manhood these days so I figure might as well get that under my belt.
Wheee "Manhood."
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

I don't know, I've never studied or trained for debate. I just like discussions like this, because my primary motive in life is to seek to better understand, and to be similarly understood. I like hearing people's opinions, even when my own are sharply at odds with them, because in exchanging ideas and reasoning, we both (hopefully) can find the common threads and differences between evidence and our beliefs, and thus come to a better approximation of Truth.

...which, er, in this case is apparently about relationships and/or getting laid. But still. Truth!

My motivations are much more passive, simply being able to express aspects of myself without being dragged into a massive discussion every time it comes up. A belief is only worth keeping if you can debate it, but fuck me man that's incredibly draining and distracts me from other things I should be thinking about. I'm not naturally drawn to heated discussion or digging through heavy resistance for the truth. Those sort of revelations I prefer seeking with experiences, not discussions.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43