Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43485 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #630 on: December 03, 2012, 01:15:31 am »

It's the same thing as the men are expendable trope. They are tougher, therefore they shouldn't need help, even when, in the situation, they are as helpless as anyone.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:45 am »

G-Flex, you seem to think that rapists aren't, in general, either unbalanced or stupid. You can't just say "don't rape".

The blame is entirely on the rapist, but it's not so simple to discourage it.

Rapists aren't unbalanced or stupid. I go to college, I know a couple. One is going to be a doctor.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:53 am »

"here's what you do to not rape someone"

Please tell me where I can sign up for one of these classes.  I would hate to accidentally rape someone while eating porridge or playing CK2.  It's never happened before, but apparently there are some specific steps to follow that ensure one does not suddenly go all Viking on every man, woman and domesticated animal in their vicinity.

Seriously though, what are you on about?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:23 am »

You could at least attempt to be constructive and try to understand what I said. If you'd read the rest of my posts instead of that one quote out-of-context, you'd know exactly what I mean. I'm not going to bother repeating myself to someone who can't bother to read it the first time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 03, 2012, 01:25:43 am »

Well for starters you can stop assuming that rape is something that's only done by big heug muscle barbarians and not by lonely angry nerds with big issues with malformed ideas of 'informed consent' and 'social contexts'.

You don't get some kind of medal because you managed to go one day without sticking your dick in someone who didn't want it, you know.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 03, 2012, 01:28:48 am »

"here's what you do to not rape someone"

Please tell me where I can sign up for one of these classes.  I would hate to accidentally rape someone while eating porridge or playing CK2.  It's never happened before, but apparently there are some specific steps to follow that ensure one does not suddenly go all Viking on every man, woman and domesticated animal in their vicinity.

Seriously though, what are you on about?
While I wouldn't phrase it like that, you'd be surprised how many people don't understand consent. Most of the people I'm around at college consider it morally acceptable to get someone extremely drunk or otherwise inebriated in order to have sex with them. My roommate, for example.

Though he hasn't actually done that, to my knowledge, and in fact has attempted to regale me with tales of his "chivalry" in not sleeping with drunk girls after he found out I consider that to be rape. That brings up another topic, the "Award for Basic Human Decency" issue.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:06 am »

You could at least attempt to be constructive and try to understand what I said. If you'd read the rest of my posts instead of that one quote out-of-context, you'd know exactly what I mean. I'm not going to bother repeating myself to someone who can't bother to read it the first time.

I did actually scan from page 30 (4 days ago) to see if I was missing some context.  If you've posted in this thread prior to the one I quoted, it was  over 13 pages ago.  What are you on about?

Well for starters you can stop assuming that rape is something that's only done by big heug muscle barbarians and not by lonely angry nerds with big issues with malformed ideas of 'informed consent' and 'social contexts'.

You don't get some kind of medal because you managed to go one day without sticking your dick in someone who didn't want it, you know.

I wasn't, I didn't say that, and nobody gives me medals for anything.

While I wouldn't phrase it like that, you'd be surprised how many people don't understand consent. Most of the people I'm around at college consider it morally acceptable to get someone extremely drunk or otherwise inebriated in order to have sex with them. My roommate, for example.

Though he hasn't actually done that, to my knowledge, and in fact has attempted to regale me with tales of his "chivalry" in not sleeping with drunk girls after he found out I consider that to be rape. That brings up another topic, the "Award for Basic Human Decency" issue.

While I've never gotten anyone inebriated with the intention of taking advantage of them, I've maybe had sex sober twice in my entire life.  Does that mean I've been serial raped?  Have I been raping my sexual partners while they've been raping me?

Sorry, I am basically playing devil's advocate here, but I'd be lying if I said that the vast majority of my sexual experiences didn't involve all parties concerned being in some state of intoxication.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 03, 2012, 01:38:41 am »

I did actually scan from page 30 (4 days ago) to see if I was missing some context.  If you've posted in this thread prior to the one I quoted, it was  over 13 pages ago.  What are you on about?

... I posted very recently. Within the same page as that quote.

While I've never gotten anyone inebriated with the intention of taking advantage of them, I've maybe had sex sober twice in my entire life.  Does that mean I've been serial raped?  Have I been raping my sexual partners while they've been raping me?

Sorry, I am basically playing devil's advocate here, but I'd be lying if I said that the vast majority of my sexual experiences didn't involve all parties concerned being in some state of intoxication.

Obviously it's neither partner in particular's fault if they're both intoxicated, but yes, there is a point of inebriation where, legally speaking, you cannot be considered to consent to sex.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 03, 2012, 01:47:33 am »

I never said women, I said feminists. Men can be feminists as well.

...An evo-psych argument for a certain political position being prone to "victimhood" due to evolution makes EVEN LESS SENSE than the usual sexist bullshit.

But I'm sure you knew that, since you've been trolling your arse off this entire time.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 03, 2012, 01:48:18 am »

It doesn't make you a serial rapist, but you should seriously sit down and think about it. Alcohol and consent are two things that get very muddy very quickly, as there's a very dangerous area of where reasonable consent and the withdrawl of it that can potentially end very badly. Don't get drunk and have sex with someone, and don't have sex with someone who's drunk - whether you're raping them or not, it's still creepy as hell to be engaging in intimacy with someone who you acknowledge doesn't have a clear mind.

Also if you're abusing alcohol that frequently you probably have other issues at work there. If you feel you need a substance to enhance or engage a social situation, you probably need to take a step back and reevaluate it's position in your life.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:30 am »

I don't usually drink more than once a month.  Recreation/spiritual use of cannabis and natural hallucinogens is far more enjoyable in my opinion.  I'm crap at not sounding sarcastic, but the concern is appreciated, if unwarranted in this instance :)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 03, 2012, 02:02:15 am »

Cooper, the idea is to try and fix the problems with society that leads to people becoming rapists, versus victim-blaming rape victims and telling them that, because of how they dressed or where they went or how they acted, it's their fault they got raped.

"Here's how to not rape somebody!" is just rhetoric.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 03, 2012, 02:06:35 am »

Thanks for the clarification, maybe it's time for me to get some shut eye.  Sorry I misunderstood you G-Flex!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]