Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations  (Read 27072 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2015, 06:28:28 pm »

I can't get overhead swings to work very well.  I double-click and my character only executes the attack maybe 1/3 of the time.  And it's usually really weak.  I've been subject to some vicious overhead strikes, though.  Right in the face.

So..... I'm trying the dungeon crawl section of the game again, thinking all the practice in the arena will have paid off.  No it fucking did not.  Those zombies are still murdering me.  WTF.  I may have to give up on this, until they implement a save feature.  It's incredibly frustrating starting over from scratch and going through the same stuff every time.
Overhead swings work pretty reliably for me. Quickly click, then click and hold.

There is a save feature, just not when you die. They went the perma-death route for the prelude (the proper game will have some kind of respawn system, no traditional save feature either). You could always save-scum it, tho - copy your save file at times where you feel you're doing well.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2015, 10:29:54 pm »

Am in the middle of a pretty good run, just beat the barbarian lady for the fourth time, and while it might just be that I have a cool head, (first attempt since yesterday), I think the thing that really helped me most was: thinking of the steps as a rythm.
Not continuous movement, but move-pause-move-pause. Might as well not even hold the control down.

More practice with moving the mouse correctly, I should be good. Also- huh, ducking under blows is a thing? Interesting.

Overhead swings work well on some weapons, but really, really bad on others, (hammer).
It's really satisfying landing one with the 2h axe and one-shotting them.

Now for a good question: Grieves+shoes or just boots?
I'm thinking boots.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:38:32 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2015, 12:59:48 am »

Am in the middle of a pretty good run, just beat the barbarian lady for the fourth time, and while it might just be that I have a cool head, (first attempt since yesterday), I think the thing that really helped me most was: thinking of the steps as a rythm.
Not continuous movement, but move-pause-move-pause. Might as well not even hold the control down.

Yes.  When I started getting a feel for this is when things really started turning around for me.

Also- huh, ducking under blows is a thing? Interesting.

I saw that there was a duck key in the controls, but I haven't got it to work.  I have the key assigned and nothing happened when I try to use it.

Now for a good question: Grieves+shoes or just boots?
I'm thinking boots.

I've been going grieves+shoes, because rarely see anything connect with the feet.  Although I did land an overhead 2H axe swing that looked like it would have cleaved a girls foot in half once.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2015, 01:22:16 am »

That was what I was thinking, till I saw the grieves didn't cover the back of the leg. Boots give full lower-extremity protection.

Just got to the full plate + polhammer guy in expert arena for the second time, fought him with the flanged mace.
He got me down to a sliver of health by hitting me as I retreated away from him, and it felt like I hardly dented him.
So, I went for a hail-mary overhead, missed, escaped, tried one more time and nailed him for the win.
Brilliant.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2015, 01:34:21 am »

I'll have to double-check this, but I think it depends on the type of the grieve... the plate ones I'm pretty sure wrap around.

I beat expert with flanged mace + shield.  Got tired of story mode, so I've been trying to beat arena again while sticking with 2-hand weapons.  Got to the last guy twice and landed lots of good hits on him many times, but he's really tough to bring down.  Haven't succeeded yet.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

So, since I was having a hard time surviving in the main game, I decided to learn a bit by giving myself a challenge.

The challenge: Beat the novice arena with nothing but clothes and a rusty sword, no armour, no shield, no looting, just pure skill.

So, did I do it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, yes I did.

Next stop, the expert arena.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »

That will be really tough to do in the expert arena.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »

Well, I might get myself a sharper sword, but nothing other than that. If I can beat a bunch of armored lobsters with just a sword and no armour, I can probably beat anything. :D

Edit: Also, I've noticed that changing the characters physique affects a whole lot. I started out by making my character at the middle or a bit higher. I was a holy terror with the bigger weapons, but I fared quite a bit worse without armour, being just too slow to respond to attacks. Then I tried moving my muscle meter down, and suddenly my attacks were lightning quick, and I was dancing around the arena like a ballet dancer on steroids, but on the flipside, I got more unbalanced by my stronger attacks and it was easier to shove me down.

It's a neat system, and it really changes the dynamic of the fight. It certainly changes how one handles a weapon, with more powerful characters being gimped by lighter weapons, and more lithe characters being thrown all over the place when using heavier weapons.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:34:54 pm by sebcool »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »

Yeah I thought I noticed that too, but figured I could be imagining it. Seemed like the heavier guys could just bully their way through attacks, and vice versa for the female fighters. Playing as a hulk, I could just push people around, and it did seem some fighters were faster on the swing than me.
Often when a weapon got entangled, I'd flat-out pull them to the ground on the retreat.

Just beat the expert arena with 2h. Polehammer is by far and away the best 2h I've used. Second-best are probably swords, just barely edging-out (heh) axes.
It's got the reach, the speed, and some brutal power.
Fighting the lobsters is great fun, being slugfests with tons of grappling and constant movement.
Badges of honor

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:28 pm »

Heh... I beat the arena for the first time using a short pudgy guy :)

What's going to be really interesting is combat vs monsters.  Look at how much re-learning of combat goes into fighting each different human opponent based on what armor and weapon they're using.  Now imagine how that will translate to fighting creatures with completely different anatomies and means of attack and defense.  I'm also terrified of fighting larger creatures, like one of the earliest Sui Generis previews showed.  Finally a game where that will truly be as intimidating as it should be.

Is there any word on whether the game will incorporate ranged weaponry, and all the other stuff we'd normally expect of a fantasy RPG, like magic and character stats?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2015, 05:21:26 pm »

Yes on magic, one of the sui generis previews a while back featured a blink spell. I don't recall seeing any ranged weapons yet.

I got the impression there are monsters in the 'main' part of the game from this thread/this post in particular. (4chan)
I'm worried they'll use the same movement/combat scheme every other humanoid operates with- they'll just be swinging their claws instead.
Badges of honor

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2015, 11:58:05 pm »

I am extremely excited for this game. Hopefully they do all that they want!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2015, 12:56:03 am »

Any video of the combat system in action?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2015, 01:44:33 am »

Losboc, you mean Exanima? Yeah, vids are all over, but I do have this thread from their forums open in another tab, it has a couple good ones if you can't find any.
Badges of honor

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:08 pm »

I've been experimenting a bit with the physique system, and I've uploaded one of my arena runs with my stout (upper right corner) character, Blorg the Mighty. Apologies for the horrible video quality (1000 kbs bitrate is not at all good enough).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VNuxz5qhXk
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14