Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations  (Read 27045 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:57:41 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis

Here's something interesting I've come across. An Action RPG with procedural physics and animations. Think Euphoria if it was actually used for something other than falling over.

The characters currently sorta look like they're drunk, but I'd say this looks like a great start for what might be as unique a combat system as Die by the Sword's.

2:15 in he demonstrates fighting a skeleton. 7:55 he fights a (very drunked looking) knight. And 8:55 a giant with a flail. The engine itself seems pretty snazzy as well, and he apparently made it all by himself.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:14:28 am »

Whyyyyy is it not first person? :c
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:19:53 am »

The engine seems pretty good, and as long as they fix the weirdness going on with animations, it could make a very solid basis for a game. Definitely interested in this one.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:06:21 pm »

uhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why is this in the tradition top-down ARPG perspective? A third person perspective would probably suit it more, much like Die by the Sword as you mentioned.

@Mictlantecuhtli, it is very difficult to determine the position of your body in a first person game. In the realities we have nervous systems etc. so we can approximate the position of our body within 3d space even if we cannot directly see them, but in a video game compromises must be made so that the player knows how their character is reacting to certain inputs or the environment effectively.

(EDIT: This statement is referring to games in general:) I'm hoping to see more procedural generated animations to replace the clunky canned animations most games currently use... maaaaybe not quite as extreme as this one has, but maybe in the future something like this can be done properly. unless they have a way to fix some of that jankiness people are going to be complaining about how... janky it looks. Overgrowth has been doing something similar to this; it still has a few canned animations, but the animations blend seamlessly into each other making the characters seem more alive and less robotic. This is going the more 'Sumotori Dreams' direction.

I'm also curious to see how this system handles things like sprinting, jumping, rolling, etc. if they're planning on having more than just walking around.

Also, looks like it would be cool to pick up chairs and stuff and use them as impromptu projectile weapons =p

(It occurs to me at this point that I watched the wrong video, watching the video now and...)

Okay, after watching the actual video it occurs to me that you don't actually control what attack you do, which could be a problem if the focus is on physics like this. perhaps if you don't get to control how you attack the isometric view would work better, but... well, you don't have the control you would like =p

One thing I hope they do with all these physics is have damage based on the force of strikes. A strike at the slowest part of a swing wouldn't do as much as a strike at the sweet spot where the weapon is travelling quickly. Edges of weapons could come into play as well, spears getting stuck-in, or blunt ends of swords striking instead of the sharp end.

If they manage to pull this off I'll be impressed, but I'm rather skeptical at this point...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:08:27 pm by OzyTheSage »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »

Haha, that fight with the skeleton looks like a drunken brawl.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »

This looks awesome. The characters may look a little drunk.

I hope we'll be able to dismember oponents.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »

Hoping this gets backed, although its behind where it would ideally be (already backed....), Going to back this soon as i figure out how much 40 euros is in dollars and do some maths.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »

This game looks pretty interesting, posting here to follow it's progress.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:32 pm »

Damn... i wish Metal Fatigue had this combat system.

It's... wonderful.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:48 pm »

Looks great so far, just thinking what modders can do after the game its released its worth it alone.

I have to do this, one of the most famous bands of my country used to be called like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6d02na9QeM

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:52:01 pm »

Animations need a little work, but this looks like it has serious potential.

I'll add it to the "would back in an instant if I had the spending money" pile.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »

Dear god, this will be the coolest game.

The combat, while it looks a little awkward right now, it just feels right having physics-based.

The end of the video is so great - procedurally generated BEATDOWN.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

Here's hoping to a game (other than Dwarf Fortress) that will actually let us use all the types of weapons enemies use.  I so badly want to dual wield flails, at least for the lulz.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »

Hmmm let me see how long until I find tech being used in place of actual gameplay...

procedural animations right in the title? BOOM! we have a winner *Confetti falls*

But more seriously... I really hope people are more concerned about the gameplay then the not gameplay.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:37:13 pm »

Hmmm let me see how long until I find tech being used in place of actual gameplay...

procedural animations right in the title? BOOM! we have a winner *Confetti falls*

But more seriously... I really hope people are more concerned about the gameplay then the not gameplay.
Ultimately the way animations work here is something that heavily influences gameplay. Knocking people off balance and making them fall over is a dynamically determined factor here (rather than arbitrary chance, if at all).

And you'd think this forum over all others would appreciate gameplay elements being simulated instead of remaining abstract as usual.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14