Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations  (Read 27088 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2015, 07:41:45 pm »

I was actually thinking of this game a few days ago. Couldn't remember the name, though. So far, I am hyped. Can't wait to play it.

I'm really liking the combat system, though I kinda wish they weren't swinging their swords around like baseball bats. It would be nice if it could replicate historical medieval fighting styles, with quicker, more direct strikes and with less excess movement (though I guess baseball style is pretty much how an untrained fighter would use a sword). It would be really, really nice if a character's weapon skills were reflected in their fighting style (so an untrained peasant would use the baseball style, and then his style would be more and more refined as he gets better at using it).

If I've understood how the procedural fighting works, it might be possible to program, say, german longsword fighting. Hell, I would gladly pay extra for that.

But, you know, beta.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2015, 08:40:24 am »

Physics Driven Combat & Interactive Environment sounds good, but they should've add more features [since they want to create a unique Diablo clone I suppose] like dismemberment for example. [Die by the Sword anyone?]

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2015, 09:43:18 am »

I wouldn't say Diablo clone so much as Ultima 7/8 with better combat. Less killing baddies by the hundreds, more world interactivity and story.

Although we've yet to see how they'll handle non-violent NPC interactions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:49 am »

They already have the drunk animations for that all figured out.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2015, 01:59:16 pm »

They already have the drunk animations for that all figured out.

*laughs*

So all the animation.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »

The dungeon-crawl mini-campaign Exanima is now on Steam Greenlight.

The description suggests we'll be seeing some more proper Sui Generis features implemented before it's considered complete.

Exanima provides a complete and meaningful game experience, but many more features are on their way! We have met our most challenging and significant development goals, now we are ready to bring many more features to light and make an even more fun and compelling adventure. Here are some of the planned features, with many already being close to completion:

New environments and encounters
    New combat manoeuvres
    Character skill progression system
    Thaumaturgic powers
    NPC encounters with dialogue
    Outdoor arenas
    Multiplayer (LAN Co-Op and PvP)
    Modding and content creation

At the moment becoming a beta backer means getting both Exanima and Sui Generis, but they'll be selling Exanima separately once it enters Steam Early Access.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »

The dungeon-crawl mini-campaign Exanima is now on Steam Greenlight.

The description suggests we'll be seeing some more proper Sui Generis features implemented before it's considered complete.

Exanima provides a complete and meaningful game experience, but many more features are on their way! We have met our most challenging and significant development goals, now we are ready to bring many more features to light and make an even more fun and compelling adventure. Here are some of the planned features, with many already being close to completion:

New environments and encounters
    New combat manoeuvres
    Character skill progression system
    Thaumaturgic powers
    NPC encounters with dialogue
    Outdoor arenas
    Multiplayer (LAN Co-Op and PvP)
    Modding and content creation

At the moment becoming a beta backer means getting both Exanima and Sui Generis, but they'll be selling Exanima separately once it enters Steam Early Access.

So they're selling their tech demo? I'm a little confused how Sui Generis is now two projects.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »

I'd drop $2 for the opportunity to toy with it.

I'm not sure what bothers people about moves like this so much.  If it's impulse-buy level cheap and it's a project I'm interested in, then sure I'll bite.  If it's more expensive, then I won't, and trust everyone else to make their own choice whether to go for it or not.  I won't begrudge the devs for their development strategy, and offering people the choice to support them for something small in return.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:13:08 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »

They had a Prelude planned for a long time. Don't know when they decided to make it commercial, though. But I do see the merit of starting an ambitious project with a simpler sub-project. Can get some feedback on what they're doing right or wrong before they commit to doing it at a larger scale.

Not sure what the price will be like, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:11 pm »

I'd drop $2 for the opportunity to toy with it.

I'm not sure what bothers people about moves like this so much.  If it's impulse-buy level cheap and it's a project I'm interested in, then sure I'll bite.  If it's more expensive, then I won't, and trust everyone else to make their own choice whether to go for it or not.  I won't begrudge the devs for their development strategy, and offering people the choice to support them for something small in return.

Depends on if the effort forks the resources for the original project.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2015, 11:47:21 am »

I'd totally back this up if they added a puppet-strings mode that draws puppet strings on the characters.

Then I would make a Team America mod. F*** YEAH!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2015, 11:49:28 am »

The prelude (Exanima) is now in early-access on Steam, with a new trailer. Combat's gotten quicker and slightly less drunken in a recent update as well. Or maybe I've just gotten used to the look of it.

The asking price is 15 euros/dollars, with a 15% discount till the 6th of May. Note that Exanima is now a separate purchase from Sui Generis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:51:22 am by Virtz »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2015, 12:09:36 pm »

I was getting some really heeby-jeeby vibes from this before.
I* hardly saw any progress for months/years of development.

Have they been pushing out a changelog?
Are my misgivings mistaken?

-hmm, reading the negative reviews, apparently one of the devs is an 'ass hat' on their forums. Can't find the post the guy was talking about, but apparently the thread was critical of the control scheme & got a nasty response.
--yeah I'm not seeing the offending comment. Tried browsing Madoc's posts, he seems pretty civil. Tried Moderator Rob, last post was last year.
---Couple more devs spotted, nothing in their posts either.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:44:01 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:30 pm »

I was getting some really heeby-jeeby vibes from this before.
I* hardly saw any progress for months/years of development.

Have they been pushing out a changelog?
Are my misgivings mistaken?

-hmm, reading the negative reviews, apparently one of the devs is an 'ass hat' on their forums. Can't find the post the guy was talking about, but apparently the thread was critical of the control scheme & got a nasty response.

If you go on their forums they regularly post updates there.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:05 pm »

Updates only started tracking Exanima last month, (no tracking for Sui Generis). Announcements does contain updates, though not as complete/frequent as I'd like.

Still though, I think I'll bite. Exanima does look like they've been putting work into it, and if they were going to split they could have done so by now.
--And the reason for that is that they update in the private 'Insider forum'.
Why they do that? ???
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:50:37 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14