Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47231 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »

Can i get more detales on #s 5 and 1?
like genders? and what crafts? and descriptions?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2012, 12:08:56 am »

Someone told me that Scruffy really likes green diamonds. I guess we may have BAD news for Scruffy then.
Check it with dfhack - that is in the same folder.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:04 am »

I probably suck, but I can't seem to find the correct command...
EDIT: never mind, I was just being stupid and blind; Scruffy really requests rough green diamonds. So, cross magma to try and save Scruffy or let him fail (he's possessed anyway)?
Can i get more detales on #s 5 and 1?
like genders? and what crafts? and descriptions?
1) Strong, male; bonecarver, novice stonecrafter, novice weaver, novice clothesmaker
5) Female; novice bonecrafter, novice stonecrafter, novice clothesmaker, dabbling weaver
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:36:16 am by SanDiego »
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2012, 06:39:47 am »

I probably suck, but I can't seem to find the correct command...
showmood
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2012, 11:30:03 am »

Screw Scruffy for wanting a rare gem.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »

Final update!
--------------------
17th Timber, 1054
As our current crypt is getting full, I ordered excavation of a new room to house our further casualties. I also ordered a new magma smelter up to boost our metal industry. And I placed Scruffy under close surveilance in case he snaps.

22nd Timber, 1054
Scruffy went berserk as I feared. Right now, he is occupied with a dog. Military is alarmed. The dog did not survive, but Scruffy was subdued and dismembered shortly thereafter.

1st Moonstone, 1054
The first day of winter brings another casualty - one of our last remaining hunters was attacked and killed by a hungry wolf whom was prowling the premises. He is now called Baladidos, or 'Coiledcalls'.

12th Moonstone, 1054
Outside river is covered by ice. Not thick, but in its entirety. But the life inside mountain rushes on, as does our iron industry - vital step in The Plan. Hungry wolves gather outside, but they didn't dare to cross the river. Yet.
Wolves didn't dare, but our last, terminally stupid hunter did. Good thin I built the new crypt.

3rd Opal, 1054
Our broker has mandated that we produce two anvils. How will distracting our overworked metalworkers help with The Plan I have no idea.

20th Opal, 1054
Not long after we finished making those blasted anvils, that booze-for-brains broker mandated we can't export any anvils. Guess the bastard REALLY loves anvils.

7th Obsidian, 1054
The year is slowly coming to an end and my strong to continue handling this place diminishes. Still new and new problems to handle. We are flat out of booze and raw food. One of the craftdwarves somehow managed to get herself stranded on the tiny island in the outside river and can't get away. Emergency bridge has been designed. Another large hematite vein has been mined.

19th Obsidian, 1054
Ice is melting again, some of the endless horde of animals are being slaughtered to boost our stocks. Also, another farm is being excavated.

1st Granite, 1055
Winter is gone, along with the rest of my strength. I will rule this place no longer. Let someone other rule it. I will tell them of The Plan.
------------------------------------------
Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7208
Map: http://www.divshare.com/download/21383328-aaf
Few OOC notes:
I think this was a pretty good year, I made lots of booze (and drained every last bit), lots of food and really started the iron/steel production (right now smelters are in process of churning out iron bars and gold respectively) and armor/weapon production (you should find enough swords to arm at least four dwarves and even more armor). Nobody too important died, except the manager (you'll get next one soon), Scruffy and those stupid, dodge happy soldiers. Our casualty list is getting pretty impressive, though, with swathes of dead kobolds and assorted animals. I also tried to make enough jobs to attract Mayor (and I have his quarters ready, just the bedroom must be created lest some dirt poor farmer claims it; same goes with the managerial quarters under the dining room.). Also I dug out a new farm room, lever and floodgates are not yet in place. The tomb opposite of mine is supposed to go to the mayor as well, just slap some golden chests there.
Oh, and for the sake of Aseaheru's dorfing - the craftdwarves are numbere one to five in order in the unit list. Have fun!

Also, sign me up for another one!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

Ill take #1. keep the name but change the job name to "McDwarf"
Highly Opinionated Fool

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »

I'll get to my turn when I've finished downloading the save. This will be Dwarf Fortress over WINE.

Well at least my dwarf is still alive.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:50:08 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »

So, I've come to be leader of CraftedDreams since the last ruler, SanDiego III, quit. There is much to be done.

Firstly, its time to grow some plants. I've noticed a farming area already dug out, which then collapsed, and a few safer farms in insufficient quantity. That will change under my leadership, and I will have some farming rooms dug out around the fortress. We have no plants, only some prepared meals and meat.

I've also noticed many other oversights in fortress design. For example, the road is made out of rough stone. I will try to fix that, but there are other more pressing matters, such as the cave river being open to a large portion of the fortress, and a rather unsafe chasm barracks, the decline of wood supplies, and the fact that our smelters have been making gold instead of steel. If we're to cross the magma river, we will have to make steel.

We have an ample supply of miners on hand and only Peregarrett is sufficiently skilled to warrant taking on the valuable ore supplies, so mining projects are a necessity now. I believe its now time to construct the lava shooter. I'm not going to go lax on security, accessibility, and other measures in its construction, since an improperly constructed lava shooter is both dangerous and can have inexplicably bizarre affects.

To those reading this: I call the device a Lava cannon, because molten rock outside the fortress is called Lava. Magma cannons are only used as injectors in underground steam weapons and fortress cleaning equipment.

[Personal note to Bay 12 Forums: I constructed a lava cannon in a previous 23a fortress, and found that it interacted strangely with some locations, especially around the river. I literally ended up with the map permamently covered in lava cellular automata, and had to savescum. This is why I'm putting design ahead here. I think the reason the cellular automata didn't turn up on boatmurdered was the river fords had been covered.]
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2012, 07:02:59 pm »

Don't you touch my damn roads, block ones are too damn fancy to be outside. >:c

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »

YAH!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »

[Personal note to Bay 12 Forums: I constructed a lava cannon in a previous 23a fortress, and found that it interacted strangely with some locations, especially around the river. I literally ended up with the map permamently covered in lava cellular automata, and had to savescum. This is why I'm putting design ahead here. I think the reason the cellular automata didn't turn up on boatmurdered was the river fords had been covered.]
Ah, yes, "magma waves" - apparently, those can get caused if you trigger an antiflood before the original flood is finished or if you operate a retracting bridge while it's covered with magma. There are some videos of magma waves on DFMA.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2012, 09:50:45 am »

Ah, yes, "magma waves" - apparently, those can get caused if you trigger an antiflood before the original flood is finished or if you operate a retracting bridge while it's covered with magma. There are some videos of magma waves on DFMA.

So in order to fix this, one needs to let the magma flood cover the entire map?  8)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »

Actually, to fix it you could run a (not yet written) DFHack script to remove all "flood" and "antiflood" flows and clear the "water" and "magma" flags on every tile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »

Actually, to fix it you could run a (not yet written) DFHack script to remove all "flood" and "antiflood" flows and clear the "water" and "magma" flags on every tile.

Is there an in-game way to avoid the cellular automatons without DFhack? If not, we might want to be careful with using the lava cannon until its written.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42