Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108507 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

There's two ways to protect your external assets - and I love this about the game, it's creative.  1: Bury them.  2: Put them on long stalks that are difficult to hit accurately.  You can partially bury your components, especially guns can be linked to a Gun Control to angle them, and then remove the controller, resulting in a permanently diagonal gun which can be linked to a regular control box.  It's better shooting because you can shoot out of a diagonal easier than the enemy can shoot in.  You can also leave your guns in their default orientation but nestle them "volcano style" to provide protection from angles shots - they'd have to shoot straight down your own barrel to hit the gun directly, or blast their way through armor.

The alternative is to put your guns on long stalks.  This makes them more difficult to hit because they rotate more quickly when the ship turns, and presents a smaller target than your broadside.  This can be countered by block-shots though, an array of anti-personnel guns that fire in the same direction can throw a "laser net" and more likely hit it, although they'd do little damage.  You also have to deal with power needs, either setting the reactor at the gun or to run armored wire.  On the plus side, when you get a camera positioned there you've got a really wide arc of fire, so you can have fewer guns than a broadside ship and still be able to hit targets that aren't on your broadside.

Damn, multiplayer fights are gonna be intense!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2012, 02:59:36 pm »

Oh, I thought gun controllers were the only way to fire guns. If you can attach them to a regular control and fire them straight then that makes nesting them make a lot more sense.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2012, 03:05:30 pm »

Yup, when you hit the key for a gun tied to a regular control, it fires in whatever direction it's currently facing.  However I can't figure out what these wall lights do...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

Yup, when you hit the key for a gun tied to a regular control, it fires in whatever direction it's currently facing.  However I can't figure out what these wall lights do...

Did you turn on lighting in the options?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »

They be lights. Good if you turn gamma down for atmosphere (like myself). I think you can make them pulse too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2012, 03:30:45 pm »

This may help...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2012, 03:31:37 pm »

This may help...
Don't worry, I did the exact same thing myself. Don't ask me what prompted my hunting through the options menu though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2012, 03:41:39 pm »

Okay, after messing around, found you can change the pulsing pattern and colour.
Warning lights on larger ships/stations maybe? I wouldn't be surprised, the dev of this seems to really think ahead, planning multiplayer and modding as soon as its released to the public.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

Lights can also be linked to a command console, though I'm not sure what that does.  We might see some Razzle Dazzle tactics come into play.

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=razzle+dazzle+navy

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »

Lights can also be linked to a command console, though I'm not sure what that does.  We might see some Razzle Dazzle tactics come into play.

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=razzle+dazzle+navy
Razzle Dazzle's the one where they just put big bold patterns on the sides to confuse spotters right? I'm not going to click that link because that is my tool for being condescending, not for being condescended (?) to.
I saw a documentary about navy camouflage with a section about that. Seems pretty legit. Just make it so showy that the gunners don't know what to shoot at.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

The basic idea is to paint stripes and curves in such colors and styles that you make the ship look like it's not a ship.  You disrupt the lines of the silhouette to make it difficult to figure out where the ship is exactly, and what the contours of the hull look like.  It was surprisingly effective, since their camo was fluorescent pink and white.  Then again, it's hard to hide on the ocean anyways.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

I agree that the guns and camera are quite exposed, but as of now, it doesn't really matter.
i'll start caring once things can shoot back, which I cant wait for. I think Bay12 should start some form of clan for this game.
I can cover an engineer/gunner/miner sort of position. I suck at piloting though.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

I'll offer as a pilot.  I've been hashing out the controls and trying to figure out how to do things best.  I'm convinced once multiplayer comes out, that pilots and engine designers will have a prime spot.

Also keep in mind that if you kill the crew, you can take the ship and all its intact gear, so there will definitely be a purpose for people assaulting ships.  Hopefully blocks will become more difficult to mine so that cutting hull becomes a real issue.  This also incurs anti-personnel hull-mounted lasers, which will be interesting...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

I can always do some gruntwork. You know, operate some weapons batteries, board enemy ships, do some mining. Whatever the clan needs at the moment.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

And I can always... uh... do something potentially useful?
Probably something that would be someone you'd expect to lose a lot, like staying on the hull during battles to repair damage to crucial systems and things. If I'm going to die a lot, might as well be useful doing it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62