Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108503 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »

Well yes, but that's lame typing.
Let's hope there's no grief-protection rubbish, so we can spraypaint our liberal slogans all over the enemies' ships.

And then write up in the battle reports that we gave X% of the enemy ships HIV. Best battle reports.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

If it's private servers, then fair's fair.  Let the bloodshed commence.

Also let out Dwarven Deathstar be a giant Goatse with death ray mounted in the anus.  Quite a large death ray too, just sayin'

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

If it's private servers, then fair's fair.  Let the bloodshed commence.

Also let out Dwarven Deathstar be a giant Goatse with death ray mounted in the anus.  Quite a large death ray too, just sayin'
I can imagine that now like really.
"Hey, something just showed up on the scanners, it's huge, thousands of tonnes."
"Oh hey, I can sort of see it too. Must be an asteroid or something someone's pushing along here."
"No, I can see it properly, it looks like a very uniform asteroid. Hey, it's turning now."
"Whoa, what is that?"
"I have no idea. Looks like a huge shining toroidal spaceship."
"This is ridiculous."
*Death lasers among shouts of "we need a slogan!"*
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »

Witness, if you will, my prototype:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Made of a Light Titanium chassis with a Thulium-Plated Heavy Iron skeleton that's been reinforced with Heavy Titanium.  Packs 4x Standard Ion engines in the rear, I haven't found enough uranium ore to upgrade very well.  Rotational thrusters are Standard Hydrogen and it doesn't turn exceptionally well.  It's mounted with 8 rotational engines for 4 axis control, as well as 8 additional Weak Hydrogen engines to allow roll.  A single Large Nuclear Reactor is reinforced with 8 additional Weak Cobalt Reactors, and the roll thrusters are on independent power from a single Weak Cobalt for each two thrusters.

You will notice in the third picture that the power cables are run up the corners.  This is because the corners are reinforced with Thulium Heavy Iron and Heavy Titanium, meaning that any incoming fire is lightly to be deflected by the armor and not disrupt the flow of energy.  The drive engines also feature a small "skirt" that really needs to be expanded for added protection.  It mounts 3x3 Anti-Personnel cannons on the one side with a camera block, with the green blocks there to provide a reference point.  When looking out into space it can be disorienting, so the green blocks provide something to see and relate against.

The ship also features two control panels and one gun panel.  The first control panel is for thrust and rotation.  The second is for thrust, translation, and roll - finer movements as I position the ship closer to a standard holding position, usually so I can fire lasers against asteroids to strip them of useless dirt.

Obviously the ship needs to be finished, the front end is left wide open and many components are unguarded.  But for now I'm going to show off my "detachable fighter" design and show how it would most likely work.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:04 pm »

I really need to get used to putting wiring on the inside, because I always run it outside because outside wiring is easier to make look pretty. Inside wiring looks messy and awkward. Compromises must be made, I suppose.

And what item pack do you use to be able to do uranium etc stuff? I've only used the standard vanilla one so far, so yeah.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »

Civilian ships are fine for external wiring.  Anything getting shot at needs it internal really bad.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118167.msg3743226#msg3743226

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

And what item pack do you use to be able to do uranium etc stuff? I've only used the standard vanilla one so far, so yeah.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73245406/DarthNoxItemset.rar
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

I like the virus idea, but I'm not really certain about the HMS HIV.

HIV is so old-hat now, and takes to long to DESTROY. Can't we name it after a sexier virus?

(Also, instead of SS or HMS we would obviously have BS - Bay12 Starship).

At least I can help with classes -
Ships built for taking the enemy intact should should be called Adenovir class Injection ships.
Ships built for utterly destroy them, perhaps with munitions payloads in addition to boarders, should be called Filovir class Injection ships.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »

So, as of now:
We're all sexually transmitted mosquitos built out of titanium, iron, etc. armed with laser cannons, people, and physics?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2012, 08:11:29 pm »

So I experimented with a little fighter design.  Doors are heavy, so you have to weld yourself inside.  It has 9 engines - 8 rotational and 1 drive, along with 2 anti-personnel and a camera.  It's very small, but very unwieldy.  Due to the way physics works, you end up requiring a LOT of thrust.  Even this tiny enclosed aluminum can maneuvers like a rock.  But to get more thrust you need bigger engines, which becomes more tonnage, more size, and more reactors.  It's not impossible, it's just that dogfighting is going to be an extreme skill and an extreme of engineering.  Not to mention that I got lost several times while trying to fly by asteroids - if you fly towards a rock and try to veer away to avoid collision, you will collide.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2012, 08:17:16 pm »

Doors are technically as light as light blocks of the same type. Each door is 2x1x2, and an aluminum one weighs 4 units, so,

ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:26 pm »

Doors are also large, occupying a 2x8 footprint.  Although with the size of engine requirements, it may actually fit...

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 4 blocks for it to open, xD.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:52 pm »

Godamn this really sounds like an awesome game.  I should download it, but I am still bitter.  I was working on a very similar idea...  :(

Maybe I can offer to help with some of the coding.  Are there any plans for open-source stuff?

Also, as for fighters:  Why do they need to be completely enclosed?  Why don't you try a skimmer variety, where you simply have a basic shield in front?  Sort of like the Anti-Tank guns in WW2.  Reduce weight and also allow you to bail easily, plus have less mass for more speed.  You could have heavy bombers that are more enclosed/armored though, like a flying fortress.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

go for it. if anything, it might give you some ideas, or you can try and get in contact with the creator to give them ideas

as for open-source, no idea. as far as i know theres only been one email that says that development is going to continue. multiplayer is supposed to be out before the end of the year
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62